Vespertine - The Gaffe of Kahn

I love the artist name.

100pp now instead of 85?

I put myself on the waitlist. It was $85 this morning.

1 Like

High demand and low supply. I’m actually surprised that n/naka kept their kaiseki bento at $85 all this time.

$100pp still worth it IMHO…

2 Likes

how are people getting alerts for these ugh, i keep missing out

Since there’s considerable interest, I’ll post here too that slots have opened up for Vespertine x French Laundry for June 11-14

2 Likes

@skramzlife, @attran99

1 Like

It seems like you’re required to get the wine pairing?!

1 Like

Yes that’s what it looks like mandatory wine pairing

Seems so. $369.12 for two with mandatory wine pairing after T&T.

1 Like

thanks to a fellow ftcer i was able to go halfsies and thanks to @J_L’s tip about not driving like a maniac, i drove home slower than a 56k modem.
the meal was delicious, but with all the unpacking, chilling, reheating, and assembling it was a lot of work.

highlights were the cornets, cauliflower panna cotta, lobster mousse, tomato tartare, and the peas and carrots. only thing missing were the oyster and pearls.

gruyere cheese “gougeres”

“cornets” salmon tartare with sweet red onion creme fraiche
i may or may not have piped the leftover creme fraiche into my mouth.

cauliflower panna cotta with osetra caviar and oyster glaze

creamy maine lobster broth with lobster coral “mousse”
extremely rich with an intense lobster flavor.

salad of haricot verts, tomato tartare, and chive oil
delicous balance of sweet, tart, and creamy flavors.

“peas and carrots” - maine lobster pancakes with pea shoot salad and ginger-carrot emulsion
highlight of the meal. this was like the best lobster dumpling or ravioli but wrapped with a crepe-like wrapper. @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @attran99, @NYCtoLA

“pot-au-feu” - braised prime beef short ribs with root vegetables and sauteed bone marrow
the only miss, loved the veggies but the beef was a bit dry.

brioche rolls with beurre bordier and fleur de sel

roquefort trifle with french butter pear relish
this was like a composed cheese coarse, we need more composed cheese coarses.

chocolate fondant with coffee cream and chocolate dentelles

mignardise

praline-brown butter truffle

yuzu yellies

caramel macarons with fleur de sel buttercream

fin

17 Likes

"You’ve got (snail)mail ! "

Was there a mandatory buy-in for a wine pairing?

2 Likes

This is the wine pairing btw. $105 out the door meant for two. I hate to say disappointing but it was disappointing.

Sauf Blanc was fine, Cab Sauv whatever.

I know this is not the time but it felt phoned in. Especially if they’re making it mandatory now. I chose to purchase this pairing.

5 Likes

How did you split the wine?

not when i booked, but it looks like they made it mandatory now and also bumped the price to 100pp.

Nothing poking the inside of your mouth this time around?

My favorite bites of the meal. I’d also agree with @PorkyBelly that the short ribs were the only miss. Overall it was worth it. I was bummed on the wine pairing but if you can buy just the meal go for it.

4 Likes

It contains a gel whose texture begins to soften as it tempers

I wonder what they use to gel the panna cotta. Gelatin is traditional and does melt but not typically overmuch at room temperature (unless he was just being careful in LA heat and with multiple courses or something). Maybe a methocel…?

I’d be curious what the texture was like.

Looks like it is gelatin.