Vespertine - The Gaffe of Kahn

Funny, it didn’t even occur to me that would be a recipe just hanging out in the world. Thanks!

1 Like

we just split the food.

1 Like

LOL

This is an amazing presentation they did. I’ve been temporarily grounded… no trips to the Westside for fancy food for me. Will have to live vicariously thru you… as usual. Keep it coming.

3 Likes

I’m grounding myself this weekend.

1 Like

vespertine x alinea next?

3 Likes

Croquetas de Jamón
Papas Rellenas con Picadillo
Ensalada de Aguacate
Tostones
Platanos Maduros
Yucca con Mojo
Potaje de Frijoles Negros
Ropa Vieja
Lechón Asado con Mojo Criollo
Flan de Leche Malteada
Arroz con Leche
Pastelitos de Queso y Guayaba
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBzYHktpgPe/

3 Likes

Good morning all! The moment I saw @PorkyBelly’s post I knew I had to get this. Currently recovering from this amazing meal last night. Plenty of leftovers in the fridge and pastelitos await once I finish this post.

The pickup was fast and efficient as usual - was asked my name when approaching the entrance, told to find a spot, and 2 minutes later my bag arrived and was given to my passenger. On a funny side note, I saw 2 guys on Hayden Avenue parked on the curb with their Vespertine bag eating à la tailgate. Was it one of you FTCers? Fess up! :wink:

A reminder of the menu:

A bit of a different approach with the menu item introductions - there is a QR code which leads to a 45 slide photo gallery.

***Practical note - the last side includes the reheating instructions for the food, so you may want to print it out like I did for reference so you are not zooming in and out on your phone). Here it is for reference:

On to the food!!!

Everything laid out and ready to be reheated (desserts not in photo as they were in the fridge):

Croquetas de Jamón. There were 4 for the two of us. I was so hungry I ate this first course before remembering “I gotta take a pic for FTC”.

Papas Rellenas con Picadillo
***practical note - if you have an air fryer or can re-fry these 2 courses, do so. The “reheat at 350 for 5 min” was not enough to crisp up these outsides. I would recommend 450 in convection mode for 7-10 min if you can’t re-fry.

Ensalada de Aguacate

Mariquitas with Mojo Vinaigrette

Platanos Maduros

Yucca con Mojo Criollo

Potaje de Frijoles Negros

Arroz Blanco
***practical note - re-steam this if you can, or nuke for less than the recommended 2 minutes with a wet paper towel to cover

Ropa Vieja

Lechón Asado con Mojo Criollo

Flan de Leche Malteada

Arroz con Leche

Pastelitos de Queso y Guayaba

Highlights of the meal for me were the salad (those thinly sliced onions and breakfast radishes with the perfectly ripe avocados and tomato look simple but with that dressing and those greens were perfection), ropa vieja, lechón asado, and the mariquitas with mojo vinaigrette. Also I really loved the sauce on the yucca but unfortunately a good part of the liquid absorbed into the plate so they were a little dry. Desserts were great as well but be warned, they are very rich and I only ate half for since I was already so full.

Always love it when I go to restaurants and you get a little something for the next morning, so signing off and going to have my pastelitos!

11 Likes

Gracias.
Muy bueno!

1 Like

Agree on Vespertine’s heating instructions. We followed instructions for TFL meal set and it could have been warmer. I think they’re using industrial grade equipment or are conservative trying to make sure things don’t get overdone.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCZ7M3IJypo/

5 Likes

Looks great and I would love to go, but after seeing lines for this kind of stuff elsewhere consisting of a bunch of entitled/misinformed/chin-guard-wearing Americans, I’m a little worried and don’t think it’s worth the risk

Hopefully the virions emitted by the chin-guarders will have dissipated from the premises when I pick up my evening Cuban repast.

2 Likes

Just to dispel any concerns: Verspertine has many things, but the one thing I can with certainty say it does NOT have is people in lines to pick up their takeout.

I have picked up my order from Vespertine on three occasions since pandemic mode began. I’ve yet to have to leave my car. The entire transaction is done at a distance, with my car window rolled down only when necessary. The masked employee stands in their driveway greets you and asks your name. If your order is ready, they drop it into your passenger seat, and you’re off. If you arrive early and your order is not yet ready, you roll up the window, and chill in your own car in their parking lot 'til it’s ready. Simple and safe.

4 Likes

Agreed about the scheduled dinner pickups, not sure that will be the case for the walk up only pop-up.

This Saturday and Sunday, July 11th and 12th, from noon-3pm, we will transform our Vespertine sound garden into a pop-up experience, serving Cubano sandwiches. Servings will include a decked-out Cubano sandwich, frozen mojitos, artisan beer, and natural wine. An afternoon to enjoy some tasty food and beverage, relaxing in the tranquil setting normally reserved for the Vespertine experience.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, hamster heaven, then… That be a whole different kettle of fish.

2 Likes

Line is probably over 2 hours right now. Well over a hundred people in line. People who got in line prior to opening at noon are near the front of the line, but still not in, and the line has gotten much longer in the last hour. People near the front are socially distancing, but as you get further back, it’s more of a free for all, with people way closer than 6 feet apart. No tape marks on the sidewalk or anything like that. Doesn’t seem safe, so I left.

10 Likes

Thanks for the safety report @Loaxley. Looks like @J_L called it. Very unfortunate. :frowning:

1 Like

Exactly what I was worried about…when I asked on their IG account they replied they’ll be taking all precautions as outlined by the city. It’s too bad that so many people just done care? Or aren’t disciplined enough to follow those instructions? I don’t even know. All I know is I wish I could move to Japan at this point :face_with_monocle:

I was pretty disappointed. I expected better organization, such as chalk or tape marks on the sidewalk. After I left, I gave them a call and provided my feedback. Didn’t sound like they were interested in improving the situation. I also asked if they had a rough time estimate for the line, as I was pretty curious, and they firmly said “we’re not giving time estimates”. Unsafe and lame.

5 Likes

But as long as they’re making money, and their patrons are getting their cubanos, then ‘MERICA! Best not to get in the way of either party. Definitely will not be trying them out in the future, dine in or take out