Visiting SF from LA and Need Cantonese - Sam Wo?

This isn’t completely accurate but will guide you.

1 Like

Omg. NY and SF old-style Chinese was based on Cantonese, Americanized for the American palate. And no, Los Angeles does not have the equivalent.

I swear, you better be over-intellectualizing this just to fuck with me. It’s food, not Derrida.

2 Likes

@catholiver - Excellent list comparing what I would order vs. what my friend would order. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d just stick with r&g and go to hakkasan yourself.

1 Like

Have you tried Paul’s Kitchen in DTLA?

Paul’s Kitchen
1012 S San Pedro St
Los Angeles

No, but I will. The closest I’ve found on the Westside is Hu’s. It’s technically Szechuan.

10450 National Blvd., L.A., 90034

I think that’s your problem.

1 Like

New Woey Loy Goey is solid inexpensive Cantonese. I think it’s probably a good choice for Chinese-American takeout.

General Tso’s chicken isn’t old-school, especially on the West Coast.

It’s New York Americaized Chinese food. Maybe my nomenclature isn’t right, but people usually know what you mean when you say “old-school Chinese,” don’t they? :thinking:

1 Like

Have you tried Fu’s Palace on Pico?

Pico and Veteran in West L.A.?

Fu’s Palace - Pico and Robertson.

The hubster and I used to live within walking distance of that. Nights we didn’t want to cook, we’d get an order of shrimp with lobster sauce split it, and were happy folks indeed.

I miss that place!

Love Hu’s as well.

But also so happy to now be able to drive easily to King Hua or Lunasia for dim sum. We’re not suffering, lol.

Thanks @Happybaker! I will check it out, I’m in that area fairly often.

Wow, the menu has paper-wrapped chicken and cream cheese wontons and egg foo young. And lemon chicken, which I haven’t seen in ages.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Visiting SF from LA and Need Cantonese - Sam Wo? [moved from the SF board]

You might repost that on the LA board. This is not somewhere people would look for reports on LA restaurants.

1 Like

I don’t know how to do that.

Re-edit the post (click the pencil icon), copy everything, paste it in a new post on the LA board.

Oh, okay. I thought you meant actually move the post. It looks like @ipsedixit took care of it (thank you!).

I’m still getting the hang of what goes where, be patient with me, please. :kissing_heart:

Btw, I ended up going to Eric’s Restaurant in the Mission for Chinese food to take back to L.A. with me. I lost my iPad, so I don’t have any photos, but the food was excellent! Even after a plane ride.

The food at Hu’s and Fu’s in Los Angeles costs more, but is not nearly as good.

1 Like

Eric’s is in Noe Valley. The menu reads mostly generic Chinese-American, but to appeal to the upscale neighborhood they use better ingredients and the cooking is lighter than in a typical old-school place.