Wexler's Deli Santa Monica

Line out the door this afternoon!

1 Like

Of course.

I wonder how many people will be leaving town this weekend, thus creating a vacuum tomorrow that I might fill… Bwahahahahahaha.

3 Likes

I’ve long been a fan, but it was delicious as always. Smoked sturgeon was just perfect, and the smoked fish salad was delicious.

3 Likes

My partner is at the library right now and says he can smell the food!!! So jealous of you both.

1 Like

Went around 2:30pm and no line out the door, but still about a half dozen people in line inside.

Ordered the pastrami lox on sesame bagel. $14. Quite good but I wasn’t blown away by it or anything. Would probably return for the other smoked fish options that are not as readily available everywhere.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF7UyMpA-hk/

The fish platter at the SM location is $40. Don’t know how it compares, size-wise, to the GCM one, which I believe is quite a bit cheaper…?

3 Likes

The fish platter at GCM was $21. For $40 I hope it’s at least twice the size…

Stopped by Wexler’s yesterday after the SM farmer’s market. There was only one other person ahead of me when I arrived, though the line soon stretched out the door. The restaurant itself was crowded but not unbearably so.

My pastrami sandwich was very good. Not quite as good as the one I had at Grand Central Market – the fat could have been rendered a little better – but still very tasty. I’ll definitely be back, especially with the Expo Line right nearby.

A follow up on our shoot the other day:

First, it was funny how many people came in while we were shooting, assuming the restaurant was open for business - they were opening the following morning. Lots and lots of interest. Many disappointed faces when they were turned away.

Micah and crew were great and the food we sampled was of the same high quality I’ve had at the GCM location. Pastrami was fantastic but I particularly enjoyed the smoked sable and white fish salad.

Here are a few frame grabs from our shoot

:

6 Likes

To clarify: after speaking to Micah, it does get a very short smoke in addition to being cured.

Where? and when will this air?
Would love to see it…

Will keep you posted.

We’re shooting in SF and NYC in the next few months and are trying to put together a trip to SE Asia and India to shoot the plantations, farms, etc. where the spices are grown.

2 Likes

Very cool, can I tag along?

1 Like

LOL!! Awesome!! Thank you for the info!!!

1 Like

Went to Wexler’s Santa Monica last night and my son really wanted their smoked fish platter. Was it good? Yes… Wonderful… but i felt ripped off. At GCM the plate is around $21 but in Santa Monica it was $40. Is it bigger? Yes… the difference is you get two bites of their great smoked trout and less than 1/4 of a pound of their pastrami lox (plus I ordered an extra bagel)…But why the almost $20 difference? Santa Monica rents? Everything else on the menu is around the same price as GCM. Don’t think I’ll order it again in Santa Monica.
The Santa Monica Plate

The GCM Plate

7 Likes

It that you in the first photo w/ Micah? Aside from the few posters who put their photos in their avatars, I don’t know what anyone looks like, so it’s nice to be able to connect faces w/ names! :slight_smile:

@wienermobile: haven’t had the smoked fish platter at either place but, after seeing @Chowseeker1999’s review, I can imagine being miffed at the inc in price (for what seems like only a small inc in portion/variety)…

Nope. As mentioned, we were shooting a pilot and that’s the on-air talent, a chef friend who flew in from NYC .

I think the difference is Santa Monica rents–the bigger plate (same size) is 30 in downtown. Actually, everything is cheaper downtown.

I guess this is how I feel about it: we cannot have our cake and eat it too. We can’t complain about nothing good ever opening in Santa Monica, know that the reason is the exorbitant rent, and then complain about prices when the stuff gets here.

I agree the prices at Wexler’s are fairly high. Bagel and sturgeon is 14 (it started at 10 when Wexler’s opened downtown). I guess we’ll see if the lines remain as long as they are. I wouldn’t pay for that fish plate–it’s too much.

I suspect the lines will con’t to be long. The same people who are flocking to Mendocino Farms aren’t going to bat an eye (IMHO) at $14 for a sandwich. I assume they could sell enough of those alone to keep the place open…

I do believe the fish plate is $22 at GCM.

It is now 30. Was there this weekend.