What dish do you cook that everyone raves about?

It’s not really as simple as it would seem. Maybe why I haven’t made them in a while :slight_smile:. You have to follow the steps. I tried to wing it once and they didn’t turn out well. But it’s a special dish once you get it down and to your liking.

Cooked for all of the in-laws and outlaws this weekend, 11 total. Smoked 3 racks of baby backs and grilled a few tri tips. I don’t always see eye-to-eye with my MIL, but whenever we invite them over the first questions is “Is Steve cooking the meat?”, and all is right with the world… until I open that ninth bottle of wine and pour “one more” for my FIL. For the fourth time. Sorry for not posting pics, but my hands were full with BBQ tongs… and wine.

3 Likes

How do you make your crispy tortillas. I’ve zeroed in on one method but I’m still looking for something better. Right now I spray corn tortillas with a little oil and fry them one at a time in an omelette pan. Then I fold them over a taco rack and keep them warm in the oven until I get enough made. It works fairly well but I have trouble with either too much or not enough oil and also with some getting too crispy. I need a simpler, more foolproof method.

Hey!!! You stole my guac recipe!!! ;o)))) I will sometimes start with a base of mild guac I buy at a local market as the mashed part if I’m in a hurry or don’t have enough soft avocados. It’s made fresh and nobody seems to notice. But the chunks are critical to give it texture and freshness. Hot sauce to taste too. I’ll also sometimes add a little creamed horseradish if the avocados don’t seem to have much flavor on their own. Watery avocados can ruin any guac recipe.

1 Like

You can bake a lot of tortillas at once on cookie sheets in an oven, or if you’re near a Mexican market you could do like they do in Mexico and buy tostadas.

LOL… It is a good recipe. I buy store guacamole (Whole Foods) in a pinch, but it always has so much acidity. I never thought of using it as a base for the homemade. That could save a lot of steps. By adding the extra avocados and no extra lime it will cut down on acidity. I’m going to try that. Oh and yes, watery avocados are a bummer.

Don’t quite follow. Store bought corn tostadas are crisp and flat. Do you not fold your crispy tacos? If baked, do you use some kind of rack to get the fold or bake only until they’re still foldable but crisp??? I’ve seen articles that say to drape the tortillas over the bars of the oven rack, but I find they slip off a single bar and two bars are too wide (in our oven anyway).

The one I use is from our local Albertsons market (same ownership as Vons and Safeway) and has very little visible additions, so I always buy the mild version and add at least chopped tomato, green onion, cilantro, garlic and hot sauce… enough for that AND the added avocado (usually 50%+). I don’t notice it being particularly acidic and add lime juice as needed. Note: I usually only do this when I don’t happen to have enough ripe avocados on hand or want to save some for other things. The market is 3 minutes from our house. Chunkiness and textural ingredients are what really separates this recipe beyond just the taste.

Ahhh… I see. I’m closer to Ralphs. Maybe I’ll check out their guac. WF already has the onions, cilantro, etc, but a lot of lime. I’m assuming to keep it fresh. Thanks!

To make tacos dorados, first fill and fold the tortilla, then fry in lard or corn oil. The best are made from fresh masa and you can pinch them closed like quesadillas.

I don’t know how anyone could make a taco shell at home without special hardware.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dkitchen&field-keywords=taco+shell

Love in-law stories. I’ve noticed before, you’re good at the BBQ thing. Sounds like a good spread.

1 Like

[quote=“Midlife, post:48, topic:4095”]
Chunkiness and textural ingredients are what really separates this recipe beyond just the taste.
[/quote]I never really thought about that. Maybe that’s my secret and I didn’t know it :wink:.

An offer for Bounty and housekeeping stuff comes up in the Amazon link.

I didn’t know about taco shell racks and such. Making the shells and keeping them warm really is a pain. If it’s for a crowd I usually cut them in quarters, fry them and put out the meat, cheese, etc. for DIY nacho bar. But if I do tacos, I fry them (2 at a time) in oil in my CI skillet. When they start to puff I fold them in a shell shape, cook a little longer on both sides, then stand them upside down on a paper towel lined cookie sheet in a warm oven. And yes @Midlife, sometimes they’re too greasy. See? Pain in the ass.

Thanks! Having the only swimming pool in your group of friends means lots of BBQ’s. It’s been a great way to bond with my new in-laws… and my wife’s kids. Her ex has no interest in cooking, so they’re less than thrilled about the meals at his place.

I really dislike ‘guacamole’ that is blended to a pulpy smooth mass. ‘Real’ guacamole is pretty much avocado chunks, mashed only slightly, with few added ingredients. I’m told that mine is actually ‘over-ingrediented’,

I make it like they do in Mexico: mash ripe avocado with a fork with lime juice and salt to taste.

2 Likes

I actually prefer mine slightly opposite - pulpy smooth with chunks. And yes, no over-ingredienting. I don’t add many tomatoes and scoop out the seed sack (prevents watery guac). I do admit my use of raw garlic can be a tad overpowering. I didn’t realize this until my guests talked to me right after a bite :mask:. In my mind I think “Oh shit… I did that to you. I’m sorry.” Hence the mint tins on tables and Wisps in the bathroom.

Yup, it took a friend’s tía in Mexico that taught me not to be stupid. And I grew up in L.A.!

Cut the avocado in half, then, still in the shell, scrape a fork back and forth a few times, salt and lime, eat with a spoon. That’s how I serve it to the boy and his friends as a snack. If they’re lucky, I may give them some chips for scooping.

1 Like

Awesome. My girlfriend gave me this magnet. We don’t have the pool but…

2 Likes

[quote=“robert, post:56, topic:4095, full:true”]
I make it like they do in Mexico: mash ripe avocado with a fork with lime juice and salt to taste.
[/quote]That’s how my cousin makes hers. It’s simple and tasty. She also goes simple on her potato salad. People travel miles for that potato salad.