What do you order at In-N-Out

Neither require utensils . .

1 Like

Double-Double, medium rare, light spread, pickles, tomato, only. Chopped chiles if I’m in the mood. Same for protein style. Sometimes I dispense with the medium rare if I’m in a hurry.

Wife doesn’t eat beef so she gets a Grilled Cheese, whole grilled onion.

Older daughter gets a Cheeseburger, tomato only. Younger daughter gets a Flying Dutchman.

Nor does popcorn. Or for that matter beef jerky. But I don’t want popcorn nor jerky with my burgers.

1 Like

Yes but great burgers and great fries go together as I am sure you know. I don’t consider IN-and-OUT to be a great burger, but as fast food goes its the best I have had (granted my usual consumption is a lukewarm second meal on a job that has gone way into overtime) and therefore merits decent fries. I have reconsidered my earlier post…I prep fries ahead of time and freeze them. Why can’t INO do the same? Keep the fresh potatoes; first fry them, then freeze them, then second fry them, and serve good fries. Its not that hard. They could do it. Then they could work on having better tomatoes…tomatoes are important on a burger…where to find good tomatoes in January…?

Holy shit, you can ask for med-rare, and they legit do it?? Ah fuck me…

Wouldn’t med-rare take less time than the usual well btw?

Cost, space, time.

Does In N Out even have a freezer? Apparently not.

3 Likes

They wouldn’t have to freeze them, bit I suspect refrigerator space is the main reason. If they aren’t going to use frozen fries pre-cooked elsewhere, then they would have to devote fryers in store just to blanching, whixh takea time and space as well.

Double frying is definitely the way to go. All the best places do it.

:wink:

1 Like

It’s not double frying or freezing, the kennebec potato they use just doesn’t make great french fry’s. My order is two cheeseburgers with onions. For me the greatness of INO is in the textures you get from the nicely toasted bun, Crisp lettuce and onions, soft tomatoes, cheese that is cut thick. Yum.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s the potatoes. Tom Colicchio uses Kennebec at Heritage Steak in Las Vegas and they are delicious.

1 Like

2 x 4, cooked medium, animal-style, extra toasted bun. No fries, please.

Double-single, animal style (no pickles), extra toast, raw onion, extra-extra grilled onion. Although looking at the OP’s pic, I just might try that whole grilled onion.

Before Smashburger stopped serving chili, I used to stop there first for a side of chili to go, and then go across the street and order a double-double, onions both ways only (no other veg, no sauce), extra toast, and make my own double-chili-cheeseburger. It’s just not the same with the chili from Fatburger, let alone the faux chili from Tommy’s.

I admit, I have never been there but I have made frys with kennebec potatoes and they are always drier on the inside vs the fluffier texture of russets where there is more contrast with the crispness procedure being equal.

What is “extra toast”? On the bun?? What effect does it have on the sandwich? Or is it literal toast?

Good point. I guess I stick with burgers only.

I had no idea you could do that! I don’t like the burger at INO, but I’m actually one of the few that likes the fries (they must be eaten IMMEDIATELY, though, and I really do mean IMMEDIATELY) and the shakes (vanilla, please).

ive read the possibly better strategy is to order them “medium well.”
“well” supposedly rewards you with smething that resembles those potato sticks that come in a can.

double double, no dressing, no lettuce. no fries. water or ice tea.

I asked this question on my blog a year ago! Here are the answers I collected. I didn’t know you could custom order the patty itself!

Double-double animal style protein style.

Mustard grilled, grilled onions, mustard instead, chopped chiles.

Flying Dutchman or double double protein. [The Flying Dutchman is two slices of cheese sandwiched between two patties.]

Animal style, extra lettuce.

3x3, ketchup, cheese, and spread only

Hamburger, grilled onions. Fries well done.

Cheeseburger, ketchup, mustard, lettuce and onion only. No tomato, no thousand island.

Animal style, chilis chopped into patty.

Double double, animal style, medium rare, salad on the side, chopped chiles, grilled onion, cut in half. Apply ketchup manually.

Animal style with animal style fries, extra spread on the side, and a strawberry shake.

Everything but the burger.

Mustard fried, WITH pickles, chilis on the side. Fries, well done.

1 Like

It called and I answered.

QPR so high.

2 Likes

Well done gives a crisp exterior and a fluffy interior. Extra well done is akin to a big potato chip, but some people love it.
I prefer well done fries.