What do you order at In-N-Out

Cheeseburger without the patty and well-done fries. I can’t wait to try the portobello mushroom burger (stuffed with molten cheese) at Shake Shake.

Double-double animal style, fries well done, root beer float.

I totally forget that a root beer float is an option…thanks for the reminder!

It means the bun is toasted extra. Keeps it from sogging out – I highly recommend it that way! BTW, this thread got me changing my order a bit. Today’s order:
Double-single, mustard grilled (no pickles*), extra toast, raw onion, extra grilled onion, grilled whole onion. I really love onion, and this seems the perfect proportions to me.

• Apparently the default for “mustard grilled” is with pickles, so if you want mustard grilled but no pickles, you need to specify. Glad she asked.
1 Like

Holy cow, you got extra grilled (chopped) onions + whole raw onions + whole grilled onions on the same burger?? It’s amazing they allow that…do you have a photo of the thing???

I too love onions.

whoa i’m going to have to try that

Who knew that In N Out makes an Onion Burger.

#ThingsLearnedOnTheInternet

it was way too much onion for me TBH.

Here ya go…(they missed the “extra toast” part, which is unusual):

The whole grilled onion addition was perfect – I’d tried extra raw onion, and that was actually too much onion.

3 Likes

3X3 Animal Style with extra pickles and extra toast. Well Fries. Light Lemonade with a touch of ice tea….

3 Likes

do any of you fine people know anyone who works/has worked at in and out?
i’m wondering how they really feel about these very detailed special orders.
any time i’ve been in there, i’ve always been struck by how darn cheerful all
the employees at the counter are.

2 Likes

fries, and a neopolitan shake.

To tell the truth, I felt a bit guilty for giving such a complicated order, and feel like I’m being Sally at the diner in “When Harry met Sally”. Although this is the first time I added the grilled whole onion (adding yet another parameter), no one ever even blinks at my special orders – cheerfulness seems to be company policy. They did miss the “extra toast”, so I guess there’s a limit! However, that’s only one of maybe two times they’ve made an error in my order – INO employees are very conscientious. That said, I’m sure this kind of order (and customer) is considered between the employees to be a PITA.

This reminds me of a long-ago post on Usenet (ba.food), where I made some observations about the difficulty in getting a special pizza order filled correctly (pepperoni, less cheese, double garlic, well done). I didn’t think it should be a big deal, but pizza order-takers couldn’t seem to handle it, and screwed it up about 75% of the time. The thread devolved into a debate about whether my order was really too complicated, or whether it was just a “can’t get good help anymore” situation.

1 Like

One time I went up to a register and there was a noob getting trained. I looked straight into the eyes of the trainer and said “you probably want to take this”

3 Likes

No complicated orders for me. Cheeseburger with raw onion and a side of fries.

I had a very “who’s on first” conversation with a worker at a San Jose location when I ordered a root beer float, something I’ve been ordering down here for years. She was hearing “double-double.” And then she finally figured out it was a drink, and handed me a soda cup. I decided to just not get one. (Is there any chance she had just never heard of floats? In life, not just at work?)

1 Like

Funny you should mention a Usenet group. I lurked in one long ago, and that’s where I learned that INO fries didn’t suck if ate them right away (like, before getting home, even if you only live 10 min away). Blast from the past…

1 Like

Ha, maybe you should have tried ordering a “vanilla shake, add root beer” since I think the root beer float option is under the shake section on their POS system.

2 Likes

Hamburger, double meat, no onions, regular fries. My order hasn’t changed in over a decade, I think…

I’m not a big fan of raw onions (and their cooked options aren’t sufficiently charred/crisped to be appealing), and I find that the cheese mutes the taste of the dressing.

The fries I have no excuse for, except that I grew up with them.

InO fries = spread delivery vehicle

2 Likes