What food do you cook that makes a complete mess of your kitchen?

Why didn’t you use the food processor?

Because the work bowls for the DLC-10 are either nonexistent or noncompliant, and the one I have has a busted ear. So I will be forced to get a new one, as soon as I decide I’m too old to be grating quarts of cheese by hand. But that way lies slackness: next thing you know I’ll be wanting an electric coffee grinder instead of my trusty hand-cranked Peugeot. Fie!!

3 Likes

If it helps your justification rationale, the best pimento cheese I ever made had me ‘grate’ the first half of the cheese in the FP.

Yup, me too. The pierced shredding disk warms the cheese as it shreds it just because of its speed, which is why the disk gets all cheese-smeared. That semi-melting means the cheeses blends into the other ingredients a lot better. By the same token, the WORST pimento cheese I made was with pre-shredded cheese from Trader Joe’s. That stuff might as well have been shredded wheat …

1 Like

You are SO adorable.
Really enjoy your posts, Will!
:kiss:

For grating lots of cheese or carrots, a rotary grater is easier and faster than a flat grater or food processor.

What I use the most is a vintage electric Moulinex grater that was sold in the US as “The Kitchen Works.” The grater is awesome for shredding cups of cheese or pounds of carrots. The later model with semi-conical rather than cylindrical grater drums should be avoided. This has much less waste than a food processor’s grater wheel and with carrots it doesn’t come out all soggy.

I highly recommend this no-brand model, which is also sold under several brand names. I think I got it at a restaurant supply store. Notice that the grater drums have no visible welds or other joints. This makes it much more durable than the ubiquitous Mouli of similar design (unless maybe you find a vintage one from France).

Not as well made, but it has a microplane drum, which is better for finely grating Parmesan and other hard cheeses.

1 Like

So many parts…

I don’t think we have most of the Moulinex parts. The motor unit, grater attachment, medium grater drum, and pusher are assembled and live on the counter since we use that all the time. The meat grinder parts are in a drawer since we use them only rarely. I don’t recall ever seeing the juicer attachment. We might have lost the other grater drums or maybe we never had them. I got the thing used at a garage sale or thrift store maybe 30 years ago.

I probably wouldn’t make carrot salad nearly as often if I had to grate it by hand.

1 Like

Once a year I make fašírka. Once.

This mess includes dipping raw ground meat in flour, raw egg, and breadcrumbs. Not to mention mincing green peppers and onions to mix into the raw meat. And then a very heavy cast iron pan full of hot oil splattering everywhere.

Once a year. Be grateful.

1 Like

I cook a few things that way but never have more than a dribble or two. I use pie plates if that makes any difference. I have an induction cooktop so splatters, no matter how bad, are a non-event.

I had oil all over the floor, too. I am not good at frying. I accept that about myself. :wink:

Slovikian chicken fried steak! Yum.

1 Like

Even better… chicken fried hamburgers!

1 Like

Aha! I have a tip for you via Alan Barnes former CH hero. If you use a deep pot for frying the oil really can’t “get out.”

2 Likes

I was going to suggest the same thing. Also, get a splatter screen and/or a splatter guard.

1 Like

Was going to say something similar. If you have oil going everywhere, your cooking vessel is not deep enough.

It’s a regular-size cast iron pan. I thought that’s what people fry things in. Thanks for the suggestions regarding the pot. I’ll try it in the Dutch oven next year.

@robert I have a splatter screen, but it’s when I’m laying in the food that most of the splattering occurs.

You might have too much oil in the pan then. Adding the food displaces the oil and raises the level, so it splashes out of the pan if you have too much oil for the size pan.

Are you shallow frying to deep frying? Deep frying would need a dutch oven or a deep saute pan. I use a deep saute pan for shallow frying, but I use a wok or indian “karhai” for deep frying. I rarely have oil splatters.

I rarely have oil splatters because I rarely fry. :wink:

1 Like

Oh, I have an air fryer so I use that for most of my fried things (fries, sausages, wings, etc) , but there are some things that I must fry in oil. Pakoras (indian veggie fritters), for one. And japanese style pork cutlets. The air fried version is ok, but if I’m going to eat a pork cutlet, I’m going to do it the right way! :wink:

2 Likes