What's At Your Local Farmers Market? A Look At Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More [Thoughts + Pics]

Took the plunge with the Harry’s maras this week and yep, they are sweet and great already.

Got transparent sea shrimp for the first time and they are soooo good. Sweet and fresh. They also had soft shell shrimp, which I’m not sure I’ve ever had.

Murray has some cherries already. Maybe it’s just the excitement of early season but I thought they were good!

Moro blood oranges and Cara Cara oranges awesome as usual at JJ’s.

Tons of spring onions and garlic all over. Lettuce etc gorgeous at both Finley and Garden of.

10 Likes

Stone fruit are here, though apricot and cherry are the only things with real strong flavor right now. Blueberries are still pretty great. Still tons of citrus. Think we’re basically at the end of dates for a couple of months. On the veggie side, carrots are really sweet right now.

5 Likes

Regier yellow peaches are pretty darn good. Nowhere near peak flavor, but I’m thrilled to have peaches back in my life.

4 Likes

Peek Apricot is pretty short! Get em while you can

2 Likes

Anybody get good stuff recently from Ken’s or Arnett? I’m going Saturday to Irvine FM. Sounds like cherries and apricots but maybe too early for peaches or nectarines.

2 Likes

I went to Ken’s at Studio City on Sunday. Cherries great, apricots pretty good, white nectarines ok after a couple days on the counter

4 Likes

Cherries were great stone fruit was not that good.

I am wishfully hoping that one week made a huge difference in the stone fruit quality but I know I’m going to be disappointed. Cherries and Apricots seem like the best bet.

1 Like

You never know unless you try! Its likely my fruit picking skills or allowing the sugars to be released from the cut fruit but the samples almost always taste better than the ones I select to eat at home.

2 Likes

Torrance report. Ken’s cherries are popping off. Other stone fruit all looked under-ripe.

Got some amazing mulberries from Murray. Their $7 tiny-ass baskets of cherries piss me off but I’m willing to pay the same for mulberries since I only get them once a year.

3 Likes

I was really interested in the rainiers at arnet farms but just ended up with Ken’s instead. I bought two small nectarines too because the sample I had was really good.

Kens cherries were better than Arnett today. I ended up buying white nectarines and cherry’s from Kens. The yellow plumcots at Arnett were delicious.

5 Likes

Kens

The only thing I consistently love at arnetts is their plums

5 Likes

Mom brought up some gaviotas from some OC farmers market and they were candy. As excited as we all are for stone fruit, strawberries prob more consistently awesome right now.

1 Like

Arnett’s over-designed displays and too-wide variety of produce have always set off alarm bells for me personally.

Ramones Farms has been killing it all spring with $2.50 sandwich bags of deliciousness. I got some squash blossoms and then deep fried them with a lemon, hazelnut, chevre filling. Shoulda taken a picture but they were devoured before I even thought of it.

5 Likes

I don’t disagree and at $4.95 per lb Arnett is definitely at the higher end of the price spectrum. Ken’s has been more consistent with fewer choices. Arnett pluots are very good in season.

Do you know which stand? I’ve seen a few here and there over the years at Irvine.

Haha I don’t even know which market

1 Like

Any sightings of yellow watermelon or is to early? Torrance is the most convenient for me.

What day is best for Santa Monica?

If you can swing it, there is nothing like Wednesday Santa Monica.

Way early (and cool weather-wise) for watermelon I think.

4 Likes

Wednesday SM is probably the best farmers market in the country

6 Likes