What's cookin'?

Latest Detroit-style pizza. I had to cut a bunch of dried-out funky rind off the cheese, so ended up with only 10 ounces. Also just put one layer of Hobbs’ pepperoni, which since it’s sliced thin was only six ounces.

Texture and carameliization were perfect. I thought it needed a little salt to compensate for the lower amount of cheese and pepperoni. In the future I’ll stick to 12 ounces of each.

4 Likes

Something in between a frittata and kooko sabzi, with leftover kale (with a little sausage), half a bunch of cilantro, and a bunch of scallions. I sauteéd a thinly sliced onion in olive oil and decided to leave that at the bottom rather than stirring it into the egg mixture. Worked well, the onions got slightly caramelized and didn’t stick at all. Baked at 375 for 25 minutes.

Got our first eggplant of the season and had zucchini so I made ratatouille. Had no peppers but it was good anyway. Used a whole head of garlic since we’ve got tons that hasn’t been cured well so it won’t last.

I was going to make Carla Hall’s cornbread again, but we were out of cream and sour cream, so I made a sort of tamale pie with some leftover something that had beans, the other half bunch of cilantro, a bunch of scallions, and who knows what else, plus a can of corn.

1 Like

I got a Musubi maker from Mitsuwa that I still haven’t used. Anyone got any good recipes or ideas instead of a basic spam musubi?

1 Like

Tamagoyaki with the spam?

1 Like

we also do a portuguese sausage with egg or spam, egg and bacon.
We don’t usually put teri sauce on our spam musubi (cuz it gets sticky and not nice to hold), we usually just do furikake then the spam and our spam musubi is classic style which is rice-spam-rice, then wrapped with nori.
All the ones i see nowadays are rice-spam, then nori.

2 Likes

Made a taco bowl with shredded chicken in a tomato sauce, rice and beans, pickled onion/jalapeño, guacamole, and chili paste

5 Likes

Rewatching Community inspired me to start some sauerkraut so I can try my hand at podvarak.

1 Like

penne aglio, olio, e salsa barbecue americana

2 Likes

Aaaah nice! Is that a traditional recipe from the Apulia region? Just teasing looks tasty :slight_smile:

It was good. Lots of schmaltz from some chicken that had simmered in it.

1 Like

2 Likes

First attempt at Caesar salad: mashed up the original Tijuana recipe according to Julia Child with the Zuni one. Next time I’ll use more egg and Reggiano.

sweet potatoes with Benton’s bacon, anchovies, onions, chicken broth, and sel algues et piment d’espelette

cucumbers with full-fat Greek yogurt, garlic, black pepper, olive oil, and Meyer lemon

Forgot to slash these but they came out great anyway.

Cupboard was overflowing so I made some room by using a jar of sour cherries from Trader Joe’s.

2 Likes

10" blade for scale. This was so fat I thought I’d have to scoop out a bunch of seeds from the core, but in fact they had barely developed.

Birthday dinner for a friend:

• farro & pesto
  • tuna & cannellini salad
  • Perigord salad with goose gizzard, walnuts, & walnut oil
  • beef with esterhazy sauce
  • zucchini stufati
  • duck confit with potatoes fried in duck fat
  • peach crisp
2 Likes

I made a pasticcio from the leftover zucchini stufati, some of the leftover pesto, and good raw-milk Raclette I was going to use to make pizzoccheri, which currently don’t seem to be available by mail-oder in the US at a reasonable price.

1 Like

My sauerkraut was the best batch ever. Perfect.

I was skeptical of the cooking time of the podvarak recipe I followed: 90 minutes at 375° seemed like way too much. The only other recipe I found, which I’m guessing was from the same Serbian source, said the same thing, so I gave it a try. It was seriously overooked. Still good but would have been better if I just followed my instincts. Basically it’s the same dish was choucroute garni except everything’s cooked together.

Another problem with the recipe is that one cabbage or one jar of sauerkraut could vary by a factor of three or four. I think the quart of sauerkraut I made from one small head was not enough for five ounces of bacon plus a pound of pork.

No cooking required unless you count slicing, salting, and drizzling olive oil. I wish I could get my hands on some first-rate mozzarella or fior di latte.

1 Like

That looks so refreshing right now

1 Like

With two CSA boxes a week, it’s a struggle to keep up with the tomatoes.

1 Like