What's cookin'?

Our 2020 lime crop.

2 Likes

1 Like

Got this beautiful escarole in our CSA box so I did something loosely inspired by salade aux lardons.

Bacon, wilted escarole, eggplant roasted with Persian spices, Delicata squash roasted with Georgian spices, garlic croutons, soft-boiled eggs, red wine vinegar: tasty though kind of unbalanced, could have used more escarole or fewer croutons.

Made a never-to-be-repeated pasticcio with mostly leftovers: penne, Pomi, what little mozzarella we had, the remaining eggplant and squash, braised greens (collards, beet, spiinach), and lots of Reggiano.

choucroute garni with bacon, goose fat, onion, chicken broth, the first batch of homemade sauerkraut of the season, and Kiolbasa beef sausage

Updating my Detroit-style pizza recipe.

One thing I realized: as the cheese aged, it lost moisture, so 12 ounces was too much. Next time I’ll portion out the brick and vacuum-seal the chunks.

Detroit-style pizza

adapted from Detroit-Style Pan Pizza Recipe

tomato sauce made with:

• olive oil
  • onion
  • garlic
  • oregano
  • red pepper flakes
  • 1 box Pomi
  • (no salt)

for the dough:

• 300 g bread flour
  • 5 g instant yeast
  • 9 g salt
  • 200 g water

topping:

• 12 oz. pepperoni, sliced
  • 12 oz. Widmers Specialty brick cheese, grated

Make the sauce ahead. Reduce by about half. Do not add salt as the cheese and pepperoni have enough.

Using a KitchenAid with dough hook, mix flour, yeast, and salt, add water, mix on speed 2 until it forms a ball. Let rest for 10 minutes. Knead on speed 2 for ten minutes. Remove dough hook, form dough into a ball, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and wait for dough to roughly double in volume, about an hour (Kenji said two).

Pour some olive oil in a Detroit-style anodized aluminum pan. Transfer dough to pan and turn to coat in oil. Press down on dough and spread it toward the edges. You won’t be able to get it all the way to the edges; this is okay. Spread it as much as you can without tearing, then cover tightly in plastic and let rise for 30 minutes.

Stretch dough again. To get the dough to stay in the corners, stretch it up beyond the corners so that it pulls back into place. Once dough is stretched, cover again and let rise for 30 minutes. Set oven to 525 for convection or 550.

Lay pepperoni over dough, add cheese, add sauce. Bake for 15 minutes.

Dough after kneading.

Dough after the first stretching in the pan. The Brod & Taylor proofer should give more consistent results from now on.

I forgot to photograph the finished pie since due to the excessive cheese the topping was sliding around.

4 Likes

Speaking of pizza, finally got hands on some central milling 00 from kingsroost and cranked out some sourdough 20% whole wheat pies

Grilled napoles, zucchini, onion, crispy shallots

Grease chalices, FTW

14 Likes

Made two casseroles for dinner.

Richard Olney’s pain au chou is blanched cabbage in something like pancake batter. Was a little underdone after 40 minutes, next time I’ll go to 50.

For the eggplant parmesan I brined the eggplant, which I’d never heard of before. This was two smallish eggplant, made two layers in a the gratin dish.

1. Slice eggplant 3/8" thick, put in a plastic bag with 3% salt solution, squeeze the air out, let it sit for half an hour, drain in a colander.

2. Make tomato sauce with olive oil, an onion, salt, half a dozen cloves of garlic, half a teaspoon of Piment d’Ville, a box of Pomi, and dried oregano.

3. Heat oven to 375º. Arrange slices in a single layer on a Silpat, brush olive oil on each side, bake for ten minutes, turn, bake ten minutes more.

4. Layer sauce, eggplant, mozzarella, Reggiano, repeat. Bake at 400º until cheese is browned in spots, around 30 minutes.

Very good and significantly less work and mess than salting, draining, breading, and frying the eggplant.

4 Likes

Sometimes I feel like I missed my calling as a short order cook.

3 different breakfast requests on the busiest cooking day of the year. Sure why not. And let’s bake a sourdough too. All done by 7am.

11 Likes

Pauline’s-style pesto pizza: baked blind, spread on the (last bit of the last batch of the season) pesto, topped with real Italian pine nuts. The photo I took after I toasted the nuts with the torch didn’t come out.

Delicious, but next time I’ll toast the nuts before putting them on the pie.

Ahhh now I remember why I stopped posting in this thread.

You stopped posting in this thread because you wanted the topic to roll over annually, like on Chowhound, where they did that because the software was crap.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. You’re confusing me with someone else. I barely posted on CH.

Oh damn! What oven are you using? I’m starting to think about what I’m going to build

1 Like

i have italian gas pizza oven called Ardore by Pizza Party oven, unfortunately they no longer ship to the US.

I would recommend putting your name on waitlist for the Gozney Dome or get the Ooni Koda 16. If you can’t wait, get the Roccbox.

1 Like

aah… na i’m building a wood oven in a new backyard

1 Like

that’s great! good luck!