What's cookin'?

rapini gratin: reduced tomato sauce, mushrooms, and mozzarella left over from making pizzas; egg and cream mixture left over from a quiche that wouldn’t fit in the pan; rapini, onion, tubetti, Pecorino Romano

1 Like

:scream::exploding_head: I’m on the market for a pizza oven.! Looks like I should put my Christmas list on hold and wait until March.

If you get the Gozney dome, I’m gonna invite myself over to cook :man_cook: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

You will always have an open invitation :wink:

2 Likes

Would love to have one . My adjustment is heating the pizza stone in the oven for a hour at 500 . Then turning the heat to high broil . I’m using a electric oven. Rack placed in upper third . Let heat another half hour. Pizza cooks in around 3 minutes .

2 Likes

We’ve been getting backed up with massive quantities of rocket in our CSA box, so pasta made from pureed rocket, eggs, and flour. Flavor’s mild, you wouldn’t guess there was that much greens in the dough. Ravioli filled with ricotta.

3 Likes

olive oil, onion, spinach, Bulgarian feta, 9.5% Greek yogurt, za’atar, rigatoni, full-fat low-moisture mozzarella

2 Likes

Fried up some goetta friends brought us from Cincinnati.

Best collard greens I’ve ever made. I think they were just superior collards.

1 Like

First attempt at coda alla vaccinara. Next time I’ll buy celery at the farmers market, the supermarket stuff doesn’t have as much flavor as what they grow in Rome—where you definitely wouldn’t get mashed potatoes.

Rigatoni al sugo di coda alla vaccinara: pulled the meat from the leftovers, cut the celery smaller, reduced. Next time I make the dish I’ll reduce the liquid.

2 Likes

For the record, after aging for 22 years, these were flavorless.

1 Like

Lol, maybe all the flavor is in the preservation liquid?

The figs had absorbed all the liquid. The texture was similar to fig bar filling.

1 Like

4 lb. 6 oz. Cream Co. pork four-rib roast, salted overnight, roasted at 250° until it reached 130° (about three hours), let rest, seared at 500°. It was smoking so much I took it out after five minutes instead of letting it go for ten the way the recipe said, had to finish the crackling in the microwave. Otherwise it was perfect.

4 Likes

What do you think of Cream co?

Except for some pork from Riverdog, I’ve been getting pretty much all my meat from Cream Co.

Took inventory of our 100-odd spices in preparation for a Penzey’s order.

Found an unopened bag hand-labeled NIGELLA which contained something that was clearly not nigella (kalonji). It’s probably black cumin (zireh kuhi) given to us by my sister-in-law’s Persian mother-in-law. Some people also call nigella black cumin (though it’s no relation), hence the confusion.

Nothing says Boxing Day like Frito Pie.

4 Likes