Where Does Wine Really Come From?

1 Like

I’ve had some excellent Turkish wines. I’m curious to try those Armenian wines. The ones I’ve had so far were not very interesting.

In Oakland’s alternative wine universe, where I do most of my drinking, Georgian wines are already more prominent than Bordeaux.

Of the Armenian wines mentioned, the only ones I can find for sale the US are from Yacoubian-Hobbs:

https://store.paulhobbsimports.com/365/SHOP.AMS?LEVEL=MID&CATCODE=YH

Per wine-searcher.com, Mission Wine in LA and Remedy Wine in Glendale carry them.

1 Like

1 Like

And your point is???

I assume you know Paul Hobbs’ reputation. If he found a vineyard on the moon I’m sure the wine would be great, but this one seems to be from what may be the world’s oldest winery.

That the axis of evil seems to go from Armenia to Sicilia.

Ahhh! Well it IS interesting that it skipped over quite a bit of geography IF it travelled by land. But, if we can trust this Wikipedia source, there’s more.

“The earliest archaeological evidence of wine yet found has been at sites in China (c. 7000 BC),[1][2][3] Georgia (c. 6000 BC),[4][5][6] Iran (c. 5000 BC),[7][8] Greece (c. 4500 BC), and Sicily (c. 4000 BC).[9] The oldest evidence of wine production has been found in Armenia (c. 4100 BC),[10][11][12][13][14] where the oldest winery to date was uncovered”

The article cited by the Wikipedia article says the Chinese jars that contained wine date from 7000-6600 BC, but it was made from wild grapes. I’m not sure they cultivated grapes for wine until after 200 AD.

The archeological site near the winery that makes the Hobbs-Yacoubian wines has fermenting vats, a press, and storage vessels that date from 4100-4000 BC. At that point, grapes had been cultivated in the area for at least 2000 years.

My people! :armenia:

1 Like

That looks like an A Cote menu way up there/of course that bar top. Just got home sick. Worked there for a while years ago. Man did we used to have fun after the lights went up.

1 Like

More Armenian wines are finally hitting the market, the reserve ones are quite good and I taste our land when I get them

https://cedarwines.com/shop/

Not affiliated

This is my favourite one yet

1 Like

At first I misread Highland as Kirkland! That’ll be the day.

Haha. I had the same reaction when I saw the photo post

It’s the reserve one we are after though. Cedar wines has it. I’m going to stick to this and Trinity