Where to buy Caul Fat in LA?

I’ve tried phoning several butchers in the area, no luck. Standings recommended me to Gwen (who seemed to possibly have it on hand but unavailable for retail). Tried Hardy’s Meat Market and they weren’t sure.

I’ve put in an inquiry at McCall’s in Los Feliz, waiting to hear back. I knew caul fat would be a rather uncommon item to find, but I also figured with the huge international community it wouldn’t be that scarce.

Any tips, I don’t mind driving the distance…

99 Ranch or Hawaii Supermarket in SGV.

Not fresh, but frozen, if that’s ok.

It’s in the freezer section where the other frozen meats are (not in the dessert/sweets section).

What do you do with it?

Thank you so much!! Such a huge help! Fresh is always better, but can certainly make do with frozen, thanks again!!

I make sheftalia with it, it’s a cypriot sausage, very delicious. The caul fat is used as a casing to hold the meat together and then when you grill it the fat melts away and into the meat. Very hard to find at any restaurant in the states, but if you ever have a chance you have to try it.

3 Likes

be my friend.

2 Likes

We make deep fried Lions Head meatballs with them, especially auspicious during the holidays, like the upcoming Chinese New Year.

Crepinettes are sausage patties wrapped in caul fat. Fancy restaurants must have sources but maybe they don’t sell to the general public.

Any butcher that breaks down whole pigs or cows should be able to get you some fresh with advance notice. A Cut Above? Belcampo? Standing’s?

Yelp finds three.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=“caul fat” butcher&find_loc=los angeles%2C ca

2 Likes

Whole carcasses only come in with the kidneys. Because it’s related to the stomach, the USDA makes it pretty difficult. I’ve mailed ordered from different places such as Northstar Bison. I found this link on Amazon:

You might contact Peads & Barnett to see if it could be picked up at the farmer’s market or Melissa at Babette Meat & Provisions in Pasadena might have good ideas.

Good luck!

True. I’ll add Vicente Foods to the “able to get with advanced notice” list.
I have also seen it from time to time at the old Surfas in their frozen section.

The USDA sometimes makes a lot of trouble about tripe but I haven’t heard of that with regard to caul fat.

@micheldelving Hello fellow Cypriot. I’m also based in LA and trying to make sheftalia. Google brought me to your old post.

Were you able to find Caul Fat (panna)?

Thanks a bunch!

3 Likes

Yelp finds two:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/hottinger-family-meats-chino?osq="caul+fat"&q=caul+fat

https://www.yelp.com/biz/c-town-halal-meat-market-corona-3?osq="caul+fat"&q=caul+fat

I would say @frommtron is still correct that the Butcher counter at Vicente Foods is great with special requests whether its ordering or cutting. Also worth checking the two butcher at the Original Farmers Market, Huntington meats & Marconda’s meats.

they are both great for custom orders and specialty products. I’d also check Standings (mentioned above) as they currently have all sorts of lard and organs in their fridge.

1 Like

Welcome to FTC!!!

2 Likes

Yassas Nico!

So I used to be able to purchase it at the 99 Ranch in Van Nuys, but they’ve stopped carrying it, I typically check in with them every time I’m back there. It would be worth a weekend drive if C-Town or Hottingers carries it, but I can’t confirm there. If someone goes please let me know.

I’ve checked in with Huntington and Marconda before and they didn’t have it. The crew at Standing’s is great, but they unfortunately didn’t have it the times I’ve been, but if Jared has the fridge stacked then maybe try your luck there, I’d be curious to know and would go myself but I’m out of town until the new year.

I’ve found some retailers online that carry Bison panna, but its a bit pricey given the shipping and all that for an ingredient that really typically costs nothing.

I’ve spoken with a few folks and its just a tough thing given that americans don’t utilize it.

I’ve been meaning to do some serious hunting in the SGV at various Chinese grocers, and even Vietnamese and Thai, but I also need to figure out what they call panna/caul fat. Showing a picture tends to be helpful.

I checked with Papa Cristo’s, as I was also on the hunt for Lountza, but they didn’t know what that was along with panna, which I thought strange. But I didn’t talk to Chris directly.

If you happen to want Lountza, Super King, and some other various Armenian shops carry a type of Canadian Bacon thats a fairly good substitute.

Hope this is helpful, and if you find any buy some extra for me and let me know!!

3 Likes

its in the frozen meat section at Hawaii market, right across from the fresh meat section. last time i saw it, it did say Caul Fat on it.

1 Like

God bless you, na sas zises!!!

You might call any restaurant that has crepinettes on the menu and ask where they get their caul fat. Though they might be breaking down whole animals.