Where to go when you want to be comforted?

Sometimes, when I’ve had a bad day, when a friend has a bad problem, when I’ve had a close call in traffic, or just want to use a restaurant as a security blanket… When I’m a little shaken up and want to be comforted, not stirred up, I look for a place where the food is a guaranteed B+ rather than a possible, or even definite but challenging A. Chinois on Main is such a place. We went there after such a day about a month ago. Chinese chicken salad, now old hat, but a ground breaker when ConM opened, shrimp and Calimari, in that edible container, lobster curried with rice and crispy spinach, we had them all and a couple of Martinis. B+, but well served and comforting. Then we had a soft shell crab that was so perfectly cleaned and fried, so fresh and delicious we still are talking about it a month later. From a restaurant almost 35 years old. What’s your sit down for a while go to place?

1 Like

PANN’S for a Patty Melt, Fried Chicken or a Turkey Dinner.

9 Likes

Just off the top of my head, Papilles comes to mind. Even if it’s not groundbreaking food, it’s always more than solid and I’ve never had a bad meal there.

2 Likes

That turkey dinner looks great, and I’m not usually a big turkey fan! Does it always come with white meat (my preference) or is it mixed dark/white meat?

Mostly white meat with just a little dark. It’s very comforting.
FRESH CARVED ROASTED TURKEY
Smothered with Rich Brown Gravy Served with Homemade Cranberry Sauce & Cornbread Stuffing and choice of two sides.

1 Like

Uh, that’s not one of the voting options for DotM. :wink:

2 Likes

I was just saying that I’ve never had a good Patty Melt. I was all set to swear them off all together, but your picture may have just changed my mind.

1 Like

@President_Mochi
From Pann’s Menu:

PATTIE MELT, 2/3 LB
Melted American Cheese and Onions on Grilled Rye Bread, Pickle Spear!
I think you’ll like it.

2 Likes

Oo-kook always does it for me. Nothing says FML like 8 plates of brisket

1 Like

Beef and Tomatoes Over Rice.
Beef and “Slippery Eggs” Over Rice.
Minced Braised Pork Over Rice.
Tomatoes and Scrambled Eggs Over Rice.
Steam Pork Patty Over Rice.
Sweet Chinese Sausage Cooked With Rice.
Steam Eggs and Clams or Shrimp Over Rice.
Shrimp and Scrambled Eggs Over Rice.
Pork Belly and Preserved Veggies Over Rice.

Always with a plate of green veggie…A-Tsai, Choy Sum, Baby Bok Choy, Sweet Potatoe Leaves, Empty Heart/Water Spinach, Gai Lan/Chinese Broc,…bright green with lots of garlic!

Edit: All of the above in a variety of places from Chinatown to Rowland

That or a good basic cheeseburger:
-Hinano Cafe
-Hawkins
-Bills
-Yuca’s (Seriously!!!)
-In-N-Out
-Apple Pan
-Capitol
-Any of those Mom-N-Pop Charbroiled places…lettuce,tomatoes,onions,pickles,thousand island

With fries and a Root Beer or Cherry Coke.

1 Like

Nickel Diner, Du Pars, and Dulans!!! More comfort!

1 Like

If you are ever in the Valley the Bellwether has an exceptional patty melt. Its definitely more than a B+ so its kind of off-topic, but it is a treat.

1 Like

n/naka

2 Likes

Oh ipse

The only one I’ll admit too… Banana Pudding from Magnolia Bakery. When I’ve had a bad day I stop for a mini on the way home.

2 Likes

Oh sorry. I didn’t catch the “sit down” part.

Go’s mart.

Find an empty barstool and enjoy a relaxing continuous stream of courses for a couple of hours.

I can show up in boxers, wife beater tank top and flip flops; no menu to review, no thinking required👌

Food ain’t too shabby either

2 Likes

… while eating gold flakes on bluefin o-toro.

Opulence. You has it.

6 Likes

I need to definitely hit up Panns for that patty melt and I love classic places like that.

Does Mom’s house count? There’s nothing more comforting to me than homestyle Vietnamese food. It cures all that ills me.

5 Likes