Where to go when you want to be comforted?

I think the taco at Tito’s is overrated. Not because it’s bad. In the sense that “Taco” is in the name, so people automatically go for that. But, the rich, dark Chili Con Carne is underrated or overlooked.

They also make a great Bean & Cheese Burrito, doused w/the sauce from the chili con carne. It looks like you have that sauce on the side of your tamale @Luluthemagnificent. Yummo!

4 Likes

I really like Gulfstream, but Craft was definitely where I’d go for lunch when having a bad day at the office. Sit at the bar, order anything because it’s all great, and a glass of wine, bartender’s choice. They really take care of you and remember you.

1 Like

Yes! Totally agree. Love lunch at Craft. But I almost always eat lunch at my desk. And as you probably know, dinner there is a whole other scene.

1 Like

That Pioneer chicken looks really good. Funny… I always remember it being under seasoned too. The one in my 'hood just gave way to a Coffee Bean.

Where is a pioneer chicken?

I don’t know anymore…

@TheCookie Since it’s been about 20 years since I last had it, I didn’t remember the under seasoned part. And when I was little, we always dipped it in ketchup, so I probably didn’t notice.
My palate has improved immensely since then…but I was glad to have the gravy!
@Luluthemagnificent I Yelped it. Was pleasantly surprised the closest one was 5 miles away. I went to the Bell Gardens location. I saw there’s another one in the Boyle Heights neighborhood. My husband works at Cedars-Sinai, and found one on his way home. Also acceptable is Lousiana Fried Chicken…they make some good chicken and there’s collard greens, too.

I am a big fan of the spicy rice st Pioneer.

It’s not very spicy but awfully tasty.

1 Like

WOW. Pioneer is inside the food court at the Korean mall. Did NOT know this.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bab-han-kki-one-bite-pioneer-chicken-los-angeles

Uh-oh, the reviews say it doesn’t taste like pioneer chicken.

Ketchup :grinning:. Yeah. I didn’t remember the under seasoned thing until you mentioned it. They must like the recipe the way it is, because we can’t be the only ones to notice and comment about it.

Hmmm… I wonder if your husband went to the Pioneer in my 'hood before it became Coffee Bean. It was on San Vicente a few miles SE of Cedars.

Two things

Tommy’s. Double chili cheeseburger, chili cheese fries and a soda. All things that are bad for me but they make me happy.

Sam Woo. Roast duck, char shu, yang chow fried rice, beef chow mein with the noodles crispy, have the jar of chili oil handy. I’m a happy camper.

Both things have multiple great memories attached. Friend and family type happy occasions. Eating those foods just make me happy, brings back a flood of good feelings and all is right with the world again.

3 Likes

7 Likes

To think that a more youthful me used to eat this kind of stuff all the time. WOW - do I miss those days…

3 Likes

With an XL vanilla shake to boot.

1 Like

Fuck, I used to chase down an order of pastrami chili cheese fries from the Hat with one of those 7-Eleven nachos topped with liquid cheese product, neon orange chili, onions, jalapeños, and some relish just for kicks.

4 Likes

Having grown up in Manhattan (not beach) my childhood comfort was a pastrami, Swiss cheese and turkey sandwich on a roll with lots of Russian at the Stage deli. I think I took a year off my life just remembering it. It was my own creation.

5 Likes

i go to the bar at cafe del rey and get a glass of gin.
i feel very comforted after the gin takes effect.

5 Likes

…preceded and induced by a beer/“medical” cannabis binge…

2 Likes

Was that prescribed by Doctor Gonzo? If only Hunter S. Thompson were still with us. As I recall, it was an ether or type of thing.:wink:

many kudos and thank yous for the phrase, " a glass of gin."

2 Likes