Where to go when you want to be comforted?

ah yes - 3x2 animal style, x toast bun, both kinds of onions, fries well, xl lemonade - never fails.

3 Likes

i go to the nearest bar and order as many drinks as i can hork down.

and no, i don’t end up being comforted much at all.

6 Likes

I’ve missed you linus.

1 Like

Take your blanky and it will be comforting

Anywhere near the beach. Lately, The Rose cheers me up. But for real comfort, I like The Shack in Playa del Rey. I’ve been going there since I was a kid, so it kind of feels like going home to mom, except I can drink a lot more alcohol there than I ever did at my mom’s house.

1 Like

As I read the replies in this thread, I realize the importance of ritual in a place I go to for comfort. I have two adds, neither of which gets much love here, but both of which are walking distance for me: Houstons…errr, Hillstones and Ivy by the Shore. Both have their rituals. At Hillstones, always with wife, we start with the hot smoked salmon and two Martinis or Manhattans up. The salmon is delicious, house smoked, and maybe the only bargain on the menu as it is YUUGE. The drinks will get their up glasses replaced, if they get unfrosty so that they remain cold. After that, who cares? As a side benefit, the servers are all beautiful, handsome or both, and well trained even tho they turn over weekly.
The Ivy presents a different ritual: the free! Champagne at entry, and then, our standard order, regardless of time of day: a cheese and ham omelet, hold the ham and double the cheese with extra crispy fries and the shrimp tacos. Gorgeous flowers on the table. Never bat an eye about the omelet for dinner.

5 Likes

Yep @Eljeffy. I’m with you. I and probably a few others hesitate to post about chain, corporate or no longer “hip” restaurants.

While we decry how bad service is in some of the hipper places, we don’t give props to the training of staff at places like Hillstones.

In recognition of your bravery, if you will, I will name my non-cool comfort places.

GULFSTREAM Century City Mall -
I work in the neighborhood. My husband picks me up from work sometimes. When we’ve had a long day or completed a big project we like to go there. It has big comfortable booths, tablecloths, good martinis and well trained service. I’ve never been disappointed with the food: Fried Pacific Oysters w/Cowboy Vinaigrette are delicious and the Clam Chowder is made with finesse, not the goopy, flour laden stuff, ie. the California interpretation of New England.

IZAKA-YA BY KATSU-YA on 3rd -
We live near Beverly Grove, not in WLA or DTLA where all the exquisite sushi places reside. So for us, those places are destination spots, not comforting easy access spots. Sugarfish La Brea almost always has a line and Matsuhisa can be a little pricey to dine at regularly.

When you cut thru all the popcorn shrimp, spicy tuna on crispy rice and dishes that are the scourge of sushi aficionados, Katsuya has some pretty good raw & grilled offerings, and they have a sweet happy hour. The service is good and they remember us. One of the managers always gives us a sample of his private sake stash. Comforting.

So there’s my two cents. Happy comfort eating!

2 Likes

We used to practically live at Venice Beach. I love The Rose and so glad it’s survived.

2 Likes

Hear Hear. Ain’t nothing wrong with Houstons (Hillstone). Great chops, drinks, and professional service.

2 Likes

@TheCookie You forget about the biscuits. I could eat a dozen of those things to drown my sorrows away.

2 Likes

LOL @attran99. There’s quite a few things I like on the menu. But I can be a little wordy and had to stop myself.

After my experience today, it might be Little Jewel for the Irish Channel roast beef, fully dressed. (sorry for the crappy photo). It was like pot roast and gravy on bread.

6 Likes

some of you will not understand but I go to Tito’s.

10 Likes

I understand because I’ve been going there on occasion since my glory days in AYSO (late 70’s) when I thought their salsa was spicy! lol

2 Likes

Love that one. It is quite a heavy sandwich but it is damn good.

1 Like

I remember the green salsa was only eaten on a dare - oooh scary - that was in the 70s as well.

3 Likes

It WAS really heavy… because I also had to have some of wifey’s Craw Mac N Cheese…

…and a few bites of the kids muffuletta!!

Oh, yeah, and a “beignet” LOL!!

Thank God we finished at Meli’s Italian Ice in Koreatown for something refreshing to cut through all that rich food LOL!

2 Likes

The chopped parsley on top of that crab mac n’ cheese makes it healthy! :wink:

2 Likes

LOL!! Salad!

I really wanted fried chicken, but didn’t want to go all the way into the city for Gus’s or Howlin’ Ray’s. So I found the next best thing…Pioneer Fried Chicken! We used to eat this all the time when I was little and we lived in Long Beach. I was thrilled to find one five miles away from my house.
Chicken should always look this good! Crispy, golden brown…delicious! The batter/breading was so good. The chicken was slightly under seasoned, but the memories evoked are priceless.

I was pleasantly surprised by the chicken gravy for the mashed potatoes…very chicken-y and it’s got herbs in it.

5 Likes