Wine Glasses

I have one but have not derived much joy from it.

I just put them in with everything else and run a normal cycle. No clouding or etching with Tritans. No need to polish if I take them out while still hot and damp and wipe off the few drops of water with a cotton dishtowel.

Looks like you’ve picked the brand you want @LAgirl so I won’t add anything to that. But I like stemless for everyday use. We’re breakers around here and stemless aren’t unbreakable but they do last longer.

Same here. Reidel stemless for red and double layer insulated ones that I can’t remember the name of for white.

1 Like

I think stemless is fine for reds, but I find the whites warm up too much (@cookiemonster has insulated ones for white which I haven’t tried yet). But overall, I like stemmed wine glasses and just know that I’ll have to replace them eventually. Maybe these Schott Zweisals will last longer.

1 Like

This is true. I’m in the market too and maybe will checkout Schott Zweisals.

some similar recommendations

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gvhome/gv-home-wine-glass/
missed out on Glasvin kickstarter - probably would have been a good option based on your price range and the number of glasses you needed. I would bookmark and see how much they end up retailing for

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the Luigi Bormioli glasses? They look like a good value

If any relative even WANTS them. Maybe grandma’s wine glasses are still worth using, but pawn shop after pawn shop is packed to the gills with formal dinnerwear sets, Wedgewood china, 70’s cut glass fruitbowls that are too homely to even be amusingly kitch…

I inherited some goofy old “Champagne” and “Madiera” glasses I’d never use for wine, but they’re fun to serve dessert in. The German green- and amber-stemmed glasses are nice for dessert wines and digestifs.

4 Likes

Not sure what “worth using” means. I simply enjoy using Mother’s. Not for every day but dinner parties and such. They’re worth a lot, like $$$ but they’re priceless to me :slight_smile:

Lousy photo

And, yes, I have the coupes also. Great for desserts

2 Likes

Oops, NOT worth a lot.

I feel like @DTLAeater might have an opinion about this.

1 Like

Hi!

For every day, I would go to a Williams Sonoma or Crate and Barrel and see what feels best to you. I like the Schott Zwiesels that are being mentioned. That’s what I use for parties.

For my wife and I / wine friends I use Zaltos. Hand blown. A bit of a pain to clean by hand because you’re always nervous about breakage.

For about half the price of Zalto, Glasvin is nice. Equally thin and light, but more palatable when accounting for breakage. Either zalto or glasvin (or Grassl) will all be way nicer than SZ above, but at the cost of being more delicate.

I think Glasvin and Grassl are coming out with machine made glasses that are cheaper and thicker, but haven’t tried them yet.

3 Likes

I had a set of crystal Stolzle Lausitz white wine glasses. They were very nice, reasonably priced, but delicate and broke so easily. I figured it was our clumsiness that did it and went to Sur La Table to replace them vowing to be more careful. The store clerk said ”Oh no we don’t sell Stolzle anymore. They break too easily.” Haha! Vindicated! They now sell Schott Zweisals. :wink:

1 Like

I wish I could find a good shorter wine glass. Space really is an issue & I hate having to use a stool because the lower shelves are not tall enough lol

2 Likes

Have a look at the Gabriel Glas universal “Standart” glasses.
They perform superbly and are super sturdy. Dishwashable.

2 Likes

those are beautifully shaped wine glasses. I’m going to check the Schott Zweisel’s at K&L and I may swing by Crate & Barrel like @DTLAeater suggested too (I haven’t been to one in years) just as a comparison. I’d like to check out the hand feel and see the glass in person first if possible.

1 Like

Another advantage for seamless! Edit: stemless, not seamless

2 Likes

The ones I use are 8.5" tall.

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1021409

I’m not crazy about stemless as often during meals they get greasy from my fingers.

1 Like