Instant Pot - Questions, Techiniques & Results

Here’s a technique I’ve used to great success.

1 Like

These were nice. Farmers market, meaty, organic, and they were very clean, no weird guck.

1 Like

interesting. i wonder what the impact would be on pho, using nicer bones.

Andrea Nguyen has you bring the pot to a boil, cook for a few, dump it all out, clean the pot and start again. Gets rid of a lot of ‘gunk.’

Going back to the Instant Pot, I made red beans and rice the other day using dried unsoaked red beans. Put the IP on Saute and cooked andouille sausage, removed it, and then sauteed the aromatics and spices, then added chicken broth and the beans. Turned it to manual high pressure and cooked them for an hour. Let the pressure come down on its own, and then mixed in the sausage. Came out great. It was nice to not have to babysit a pressure cooker on the stove, or have to plan the meal out the night before to pre-soak the beans.

1 Like

Or soak in cold water, then drain. Chicken usually does better blanched in boiling water, but beef and pork are fine in a cold-water soak. Though you may have to change the water a couple times.

So all that nasty grey ‘sludge’ comes off with a cold water soak?

Just easier to parboil real quick. No matter the type of bones.

I parboil as well. Just for a couple minutes, drain, and start again.

Bones for the dog’s stock, I don’t bother.

I find it easier to soak in cold water. Place in a bowl or pot, add cold water, and let it sit while doing other things. Also, no boiling water to lug around the kitchen.

I’ve never noticed one or the other method to be better, so I suppose it simply depends on one’s preference.

You get more impurities out by parboiling, resulting in a cleaner stock – both in taste and in appearance, if it matters to you. This is especially critical if you like adding a bit of acid (like vinegar) to your stocks.

1 Like

When would the vinegar be added?

when you add the water and bones.

I’ve never heard of that! What’s the purpose and where does this come from?

https://www.thekitchn.com/do-this-for-thicker-richer-homemade-chicken-broth-248251

I’ll give it a try. Another neat trick is to throw a few ice cubes in a cloudy stock and the scum will rise to the top, so you can skim it.

Now I’ve been warned that I’ve replied too much and should pm. Ttyl! :slight_smile:

I just saw that Amazon has them back in stock. $120!!! Nope. That’s a deal breaker for me.

Good article from Kenji at Serious Eats about not using a slow cooker.

Made galbi jjim tonight using this recipe with some tweaks. Whole Foods had a sale recently on short ribs.
http://www.ahjummarecipes.com/single-post/2016/12/21/Instant-Pot-Korean-Style-Short-Ribs-갈비찜-Kalbi-Jjim

I added rehydrated shitake mushrooms and some of the excess water into the broth. My mom told me to use ssalyeot (Korean malted rice syrup) but I was lazy. Some recipes say you can substitute corn syrup but I held off on this.

I used the saute function on the Instant Pot. This is pretty much useless. Could not get any browning on the short ribs but I also don’t think its necessary. Cooked in a tiny bit of sesame oil.

Final results
Not bad but definitely not my mom’s galbi jjim. But I would try this recipe again with a few changes.

Changes for next time
Double up on all the ingredients in the sauce. I had to add probably 1-1.5 cups of water and leftover shitake mushroom water to cover the top. The short ribs on the bottom had better flavor.
Cut off more fat from the short ribs. A lot of excess fat in the sauce. A LOT.
Buy ssalyeot and add it in.
Cook the short ribs for longer than 35 minutes on pressure cooker setting.

Here is a side picture of leftovers. Almost an inch of fat sitting on top.

The sauté function works well . . . on high. That’s the key. I get good browning with that setting. However, the narrow shape of the pot usually means you can’t brown much at once.

2 Likes