Kimchi Brands

Hansung Ggoolmott Kimchi

This place is stones throw from Knotts Berry Farm.

With a very nice sweet Grandpa running this place.

Versus Seoul Do Soon Yi in Garden Grove, this place takes card!!! The kimchi is just as good and dank as them BUT they have more variety and more interesting things.

I grabbed some goodies. My big mistake is not getting the “Special Kimchi”!! Which the Grandpa told me it has oysters, shrimp, chestnuts, and pine nuts!

I’ll have to update this thread in a few weeks to see how deep and dank the kimchi gets.

Green Onion Kimchi.

They also have Leek Kimchi. You know that stuff in Chinese and Korean dumplings that gives you some epic burps. The only rival in post eating burps would be those damn Costco hot dogs.

They also have White Kimchi. Can’t wait to see how this would taste in a week or so.

Garlic.

Oysters.

This is in their banchan section. Holy hell this is soooo damn good and dank. There is a spice kick, then you get bite of the ocean from the oysters. Some cucumbers are also in the mix.

9 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Thanks! This sounds great. :slight_smile: Is the last pic an Oyster dish that you can order, or is it a type of Kimchi that has Oysters & Cucumbers in it? Thanks.

Nope not a dish to “order” you can just grab it from the refrigerator. I just asked the Grandpa for “Oyster” and he grabbed it from me.

1 Like

Just picked up a Mustard Green Kimchi!!!

The Grandpa is so sweet and nice here.

Got a free cup of cold barley drink too.

Also there is marinated crab.

Ask me where my parents are from. “Taiwan”

Pointed out some banchan burdock root from Taiwan

I love this place

6 Likes

Also got a big bag of dumplings boiling

Dumplings are nice. Porky peppery little leeky

Also in the banchan section I spotted some seasoned perilla leaves

3 Likes

Pine nuts in kimchi is new to me.

@JeetKuneBao this stuff is legit. Can’t believe it took me so long to come

3 Likes

Nice I am glad you like it!

The kimchi, banchan (especially the oysters and perilla leaves), and dumplings are so good.

The Grandpa there is so sweet and kind.

1 Like

@JeetKuneBao or others, any recommendations for a less sour, more sweet nappa kimchi?

Hui Tou Xiang kimchi is what you are looking for!!

1 Like

Thanks, @JeetKuneBao!
Happy (almost) New Year!

Yuk Dae Jang sells their kimchi by the half gallon for $9.99. Easily one of the best in town, the kimchi is actually imported from Korea. (We’re talking the sour, not sweet kind.)

3 Likes

Got this at Costco. It’s better than most grocery-store brands I’ve tried.

http://cosmosfood.com/products.html

3 Likes

The 99 Ranch Market at Victory and Sepulveda carries Cosmos.

1 Like

My in laws bought 3 of the big jars of the cut cabbage kim chee to hold them over. They are only 2 in the house. Going to raid their kim chee in about 4-6 weeks when that stuff is perfect for kim chee fried rice and stews.

1 Like

Did you ever get Hui Tou Xiang’s kimchi?

Not yet! We don’t get out to the SGV that often, but thanks for the reminder.

We have been trying a variety of different kimchis from Tokyo Central, Miraku Kimchi, H Mart, and California Mart over the past few months. Of the ones we tried, I really like the California Mart kimchi. It has the less sour, more sweet character that I like.

1 Like

Hui Tou threw some kimchi in our last order because it was a little delayed for pickup. Awesome stuff! The back explains it’s a less fermented, slightly sweetish version from the border of China and Korea.

1 Like

I’ve really been enjoying the different kimchi from California Market recently. They have a whole banchan deli area with a wide array of options in all sizes. I have been munching on the radish (cubed), baby radish (whole), cabbage (not napa), and spring onion recently.

The kimchi is on the fresher/sweeter side and is packed with shellfish flavor.

Here is a pic that I found online:

5 Likes