Let’s talk Khachapuri, particularly the adjaran / adjaruli style (Georgian cheesebread that a lot of Armenians make)

Went to Tony khachipuri had the original very good but also insanely heavy.

2 Likes

That ratio of crust to cheese looks a lot different than the last time I went. It looks like you got barely any cheese at all.

I got tons of cheese it was wrapped in there and oozing out every time I took a small bite, the cheese made it so creamy and heavy.

1 Like

Good to hear, seems like they’re using a different technique. I should go back

it’s folded over a bit too aggressively i guess but doesn’t matter… it’s gooey cheese in bread

1 Like

Is this something that travels well (let’s say for 30-60 mins)? Don’t think I could eat an entire piece in one sitting…

I would say probably not, fresh before any congealing if the mixture of butter cheeses and egg and while bread is hot is probably the way to go.

1 Like

It’s similar to calzone, by far the best while it’s hot, cheese oozing, crust still crisp.

If you expect to have leftovers, maybe don’t get the egg version.

3 Likes

I can usually eat about half. I take the other half home and heat it in the oven the next day. It’s not quite as good but still pretty great

3 Likes

"There are probably more regional types of khachapuri than there are Americans who can locate Georgia on a map. Think flaky pastry and yeast-raised crusts. Imeretian is a circular, cheese-filled bread from the west-central region of Imereti. Khabizgina adds boiled potatoes to the mix. Achma, from the Abkhazian region, involves multiple layers of dough, resembling a cheesy white lasagna.

One of the most famous Georgian breads internationally is adjaruli (or acharuli), a yeasted dough formed into a canoe shape, edges folded over and filled with a combination of creamy, fresh, and sharply aged cheeses, served hot with a raw egg that cooks before your eyes in the molten cheese and a pat of butter in the middle that melts into this mixture."

1 Like

My wife went to a Georgian restaurant while in NYC. The owners said they were contemplating opening one here in LA. They were probably humoring her. Forgive lousy photo. She said they stirred the khachpuri for her when they served it.

3 Likes

Please share location in NYC.

Oda House, 76 Avenue B, New York, NY 10009

I think it’s lower east side.

Better photo from wife:

3 Likes

Thank you.

Disappointing khachapuri from tony’s the other day. We hadn’t been there in a few months and we got delivery. Everything was… just off.
I mean take a look at what we got and compare it to my earlier pics or what @Nemroz posted at the top of the thread.

It looked like a sad shell of its former glory, with bread crowding out the cheese. It also felt like they changed all their recipes, the bread wasn’t as springy and the cheese lacked the stringy bits of mozzarella that made it so much fun to dip into.
Overall it is still good, but when the initial few I had were incredible revelations “just good” feels like a far way to fall.
Hope this was just a one off though

2 Likes

That looks nothing like the OP

Lol. I’ve still never had one of these. Like never. They weren’t a thing in Armenia

1 Like

And nothing like my other experiences (iirc like four or five months ago), which were very similar to the OP

Oh no!!! We went just last weekend and loved it! Although it did have plenty of bread, it actually balanced well with the creamy cheesy filing because it’s so rich! The bread was springy and light. The sesame seed crust cooked to perfection (no burnt seeds) and we had a blast ripping off the edges and dipping. We were so glad we ordered the mushroom because as much as we love cheese, butter and egg… it would have been too much.

We also shared a chicken meatball Bahn Mi and really liked it as well. The bread was very good! and the pickles and brightness from the herbs made it a nice contrast for the Khapachuri

5 Likes

Just had Tony Khachapuri last night. Got the soujouk with a za’atar crust. I thought it was awesome. REALLY good. The soujouk was almost superfluous to the dripping cheese but overall, I really enjoyed it.

2 Likes