What's cookin'?

Have you ever made hashbrowns in/on a waffle iron? Crazy good.

Need to, now that I have seen that!

1 Like

Okay, to elaborate. Grate a russet and pour in a bit of melted butter, s&p. Put on the waffle iron. When the steam stops coming out it’s probably done.

1 Like

No . They look good though . The pancake has a softer texture and puffy . Made with mashed potatoes, flour , and egg . I found potato pancakes that I drive 20 miles one way to get them . A fantastic woman chef who makes them in a small cafe with a population of 36 people . So hooked so addicted. I just need them . Mine were just so so compared to hers . I need to figure them out .

1 Like

As you may recall, we have friends in Mt. Shasta. Care to share where this place is. I bet they’d like it.

Straight up hwy 89 to Bartle . You can’t miss it . Bartle lodge. Run by Linda and Rufus.

1 Like

Thanks, Em. I just sent her a link (TripAdvisor perhaps?) that had a picture of the potatoes. We’ve driven past it a gazillion times over the last 25 years. Gotta check it out someday.

I throw in some grilled onions, garlic powder, cumin and paprika

I grew up eating my grandmother’s (Pennsylvania Dutch) when she visited - made from leftover mashed potatoes. She’d also bring scrapple and apple butter. My mom makes the great as well but I’ve never been able to make them with that silky interior and crispy outside. I think you gotta be careful with the egg or it will set up too much, you want them almost runny. I like mine with finely diced onions. But again, don’t take my advice because I haven’t been able to perfect them either. I’m visiting my mom next week so I’ll see what I can find out.

4 Likes

1 Like

Oh no. Tiramisu. Love it

It’s annoying how hard it is to find real mascarpone in the US. There are lots of domestic products with that word on the label, but they don’t taste like the Italian stuff.

It’s even harder to find Marsala vergine DOC.

That’s Pernigotti on top.

3 Likes

And I shall be doing that also. Thanks for the tips.

A friend got this recipe from a cooking class she took in Florence circa 1986, which was when it was first catching on outside of the Veneto. The second recipe I encountered, around the same time, was from a restaurant in Venice, which made the original version with coffee instead of Marsala.

4 eggs
250 g sugar (around 1 cup)
1 kilo imported Italian mascarpone
savoiardi (Italian ladyfingers)
Marsala
cocoa powder

Separate eggs. Beat whites until very stiff.

Beat yolks and sugar together until smooth, then mix in mascarpone until smooth.

Fold egg whites into mascarpone mixture.

Line serving dish with a layer of savoiardi dunked in Marsala. I let the cookies soak up Marsala until just before they’d start falling apart, some people think that’s too boozy, I think it’s good provided the Marsala is.

Spread half the mixture evenly over top.

Put another layer of dunked savoiardi on top and spread the rest of the mixture on top of them. My 15" x 11" Pyrex pan can hold 400 grams of savoiardi.

Dust with cocoa. Alternatively, melt a dark chocolate bar in a double boiler and drizzle over the top.

Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least six hours before serving.

1 Like

Some rather weak photos of some recent successes:

Cauliflower / gruyere frittata / greens

Short rib / acorn squash / onion

Pesto / Salmon

5 Likes

Could you ‘talk’ a bit about that frittata please?

1 Like

Yup! It’s based on a recipe from the Healthyish cookbook.

Cover cauliflower / onion / smoked paprika / salt & pepper / water till soft (about 16min). In another bowl, whisk eggs / milk / salt & pepper. Then stir in gruyere and parsley. Pour the egg mix onto the cauliflower / onion mix. Bake at 425F until it sets and barely jiggles in the middle (about 17min).

I would also recommend adding the hot sauce of your choice when eating. Also liked throwing some pickled banana peppers on the greens.

Bless your heart!

Are the cauliflower and onion sliced or chopped? TIA but no rush.

Oatmeal with cauliflower spinach soup. Drizzled with a touch of chili oil, balsamic vinegar, and EEOV. Finished with scallions.

3 Likes

Last night was another grilling extravaganza (except the ribs were done in the oven).

Peaches, mushrooms, shishito peppers, yellow crookneck squash, corn and pork baby backs.

Heat not letting up any time soon so this will continue.

1 Like