Any Vegans here?

I really like Plant Food + Wine. The patio is terrific. I recommend the “cheese” plate for its interesting flavors.

I’ve only been to SunCafe once. I wasn’t impressed.

I can’t remember whether I’ve been to Satdha. I think it’s been there for quite a long time, so it must be decent. (same with Bulan Thai in Silver Lake). But in general, I am not a fan of vegan Thai food because I think, due to the lack of shrimp paste and fish sauce, that it is an inferior version of authentic Thai.

2 Likes

Brunch at Little Pine - Silverlake

Little Pine is owned by singer, musician, producer & animal rights activist, Moby. The food is 100% plant-based and all profits go to Animal Organizations.

Almanac Co. Kolsch & Cucumber Infused Sake Mule

The Kolsch is pilsner-like, med-hoppy, crisp, smooth, slightly bitter / The Sake Mule was bland imo.

Hibiscus Mimosa - Prosecco, Infused Hibiscus Flower, Hibiscus Syrup, Hibiscus Tea, Spiced Sugar Rim

Delicious! :heart:

Home Fries!

If you’re serving vegan only the potatoes better not be an afterthought. These are creamy inside, crispy outside. :yum:

Biscuits & Sausage Gravy / Green Salad

This is a very satisfying vegan rendition of a classic - housemade biscuits & shroom sausage gravy / side salad of arugula, watermelon radish & overly acidic dressing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Tofu Scramble w/Shrooms, Bell Peppers, Onions, Tempeh Bacon, Housemade Sausage, Pico de Gallo

Hubby was satisfied!

Breakfast Sandwich - Housemade Sausage, Tofu, Red Onions, Avocado, Romesco, Grilled Bread

I didn’t try it but my vegetarian niece thoroughly enjoyed it.

Coffee w/Cashew or Oatmeal Milk(?)

Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie

Chewy, Chocolatey, Delicious! :blush:

Brunch menu is very good but the dinner menu looks bomb. My vegetarian son loves the Chicken Piccata

The service is a tad scattered - forgotten things, a dish arriving after others, etc. But the servers are super friendly and they compensated us for the mistakes. This a great casual or date night spot for vegans and satisfying for their carnivore friends & family! It’s my vegetarian son’s vegetarian girlfriend’s favorite vegan restaurant. Which is great, because with Moby being a tech-forward guy I’ve been able to buy & send gift cards directly to the mobile phones of my favorite vegetarians for years.

Happy Vegan Eating! :heart:

7 Likes

I forgot a place that has notably good vegan food: Elf in Echo Park. It is all vegetarian and mostly vegan.

Their BBQ jackfruit is fantastic.

3 Likes

I agree – Little Pine is a nice place to have dinner. My wife really likes it.

1 Like

I’ve eaten at Little Pine twice before but it’s been a while. Thanks for the photos and writeup @TheCookie! it’s a nice reminder I should go back, especially since it’s very close to me.

2 Likes

This place sounds like heaven. I checked the prices it is around $45lb for some “cheese.” so desperate, still may try it.

Regarding that list of top vegan restaurants sage is not on it nor vegan glory. I think vegan glory is better than the vegan joint. Cheaper too.

2 Likes

Yeah, my vegetarian son & I thought the list could’ve been longer. They left a bunch of places off and he says a few they did list aren’t that great.

I’m rooting for you @Luluthemagnificent. Vegan is tough. I couldn’t believe it when my son went vegetarian. He’s a beef lover who doesn’t like vegetables. :grimacing: But he thinks “meat is murder” and animal farming practices (even dairy farms) are inhumane, so…

2 Likes

Rahel Ethiopian Vegan Cuisine - Little Ethiopia

AYCE Lunch Buffet is $13.95

2 Likes

I never thought about it but vegetarian Ethiopian food is almost vegan to start with. All you need to do is replace the butter / ghee / niter kibbeh in some dishes with vegetable oil. In fact, if the injera is 100% teff, it’s also gluten-free.

Same story only more so for vegetarian Japanese. The only non-vegan item is usually the egg custard.

Yep, there’s a number of vegan spots in Little Ethiopia. I just added the injera info to my post.

1 Like

Str8 Up Tacos (La Palma…yes La Palma)

In a Mobil Gas Station slash Car Wash. Pun intended straight up the best vegan tacos. No freakin joke. Might be better than Guerilla’s sweet potato taco because they have handmade tortillas.

Got the Black Bean, Cauliflower, Jackfruit, Potato (dorado-crispy style), Vegan Horchata, and Chips-Guac.

The black bean and cauliflower is the move here.

10 Likes

I’ll take your word for it because you’re the FTC Taco Man

Middle Eastern is also good for vegans. I would happily eat a vegan meal at Marouch any time. Tabbouleh, fattoush, grape leaves, muhammara, hummus, baba ghanoush, falafel. (Small chance the falafel has eggs.)

3 Likes

Mexican horchata is always vegan (rice), as is Spanish (chufa aka tiger nuts).

Oh yeah, Middle Eastern mezze are typically vegan. That’s probably the only vegan meal I eat regularly.

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/0/c/0c5d97172b77908d188d3b9f94844300acfefd46.jpg

4 Likes

This thread is making me want to give up meat.

3 Likes

@JeetKuneBao damn those tacos look good. I’m never in that area but I’m bookmarking it for next time I’m around there.

I often cook something and when I’m eating it realize, “hey, this is vegan.”

Though more often than not after I think for a minute I have to say, “Well, except for the broth / fish sauce / bacon.”

4 Likes

I can’t speak to tradition but in the August 2019 feature on horchata in the LA Times they found dairy in a few well known Mexican spots in LA.

“Does your horchata have dairy in it?” I asked after seeing a notice on the menu at the West Hollywood location of Guisados. The cashier said yes. A couple days later at La Playita Siete Mares in Silver Lake, I asked the same question and got the same answer. And then the same at Tacos 1986 in downtown L.A. After that third time, I started questioning whether I had been mistaken about my favorite agua fresca.

4 Likes

Weird. I guess using milk is less work than making rice milk.

Using dairy definitely seems to boost the creaminess. One of the recipes in that same feature (the only one that used dairy) included evaporated milk and the resulting rice milk which I found interesting. I’m just spitballing but I think the higher fat content would mimic the resulting texture from a higher concentration of nuts (which would also be much more expensive to include).

I’m not vegan or lactose intolerant (to my knowledge) but I am glad Guisados announces there’s dairy in their horchata. It’s so creamy it reminds me of my favorite horchata from @robert’s neck of the woods, La Mission. After the article I wondered if they use dairy but I haven’t had a chance to ask.