Any Vegans here?

Hug Life

For veggie people this is probably the best vegan ice cream. I first visited them maybe 2 years ago and I thought the texture/consistency was off (as is the case with lots of vegan stuff). Went back recently and it has improved so much, more creamy than I can ever expect from a vegan ice cream. It ain’t replacing cow fat cream but it’s pretty damn good for what it is. Only in Little Saigon and in the city of Orange.

1 Like

Love the name.

We had Guisados for dinner tonight. The Horchata is delicious and the cows milk makes a notable difference. I didn’t ask if there is also rice milk but I assume so. I’m not an expert, but is adding cows milk cheating? Not traditional?

My vegan took me here a couple weeks ago. Agreed. Interesting flavor choices and good texture. Nice folks working there and buzzing with customers, even on a cold December night.

1 Like

That looks delish!

You aren’t lying. Everyday, I get up and think I can’t make it another day. Today is one of those days. Just trying to get through the day. I LOVE MEAT and cheese too! lol

LOL

2 Likes

The best vegan alternatives to ice cream I’ve encountered were nut sorbets made with a PacoJet.

This coconut-ginger sorbet is surprisingly good for something so simple:

http://lauriston.com/recipes.html#coconut

I think it just tastes time to adjust your palate. People all over the world eat all sorts of totally different cuisines because it’s what they’re used to. For example, I don’t think people in South India are craving meat. They have a totally satisfying meatless cuisine.

Luckily, we live in a city in which it is easy to find a wide variety of healthy vegetarian and vegan foods. My wife and I eat vegan half the time not because we are vegan but because the quality of the food at vegan restaurants tends to be way higher than the quality at ordinary restaurants.

4 Likes

We still stan Scream Sorbet’s pacojet products in the short year or so they were next to BakeSale Betty. Their pistachio sorbet tasted more like pistachios than straight up pistachios.

I came very close to buying a pacojet at a restaurant sale last week but I’d already bought my “insane for a home kitchen” piece of equipment for the next year or so.

If anyone knows of any restaurants that serve pacojet ice cream in the LA/OC area please share.

Scream’s pistachio sorbet was fantastic.

This piece mentions some LA restaurants that had Pacojets in 2007:

Emotionally satisfying, maybe, but nutritionally, not so much.

My son takes vegetarian protein supplements to maintain muscle mass.

Vegetarians and vegans in developed countries rarely experience protein deficiencies.

https://serc.berkeley.edu/the-vegan-and-vegetarian-protein-myth-debunked/

More common are the same kind of issues omnivores have from eating too much sugar, flour, potatoes, and highly processed foods and not enough whole fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts.

More tacos for you!

5 Likes

Vegan bodybuilders need the supplements.

Bodybuilders in general take protein supplements. It’s hard to consume such huge amounts of protein from whole foods.

https://the-toast.net/2015/04/03/my-real-time-response-to-learning-what-the-rock-eats-every-day/

That guy likes a lot of cod.

May I ask why you decided to go vegan?

Good luck on your journey I tried it for a week for a bet and it was very difficult.

1 Like

On top of 3-1/4 pounds of cod, chicken, and steak, two whole eggs, and ten egg whites, he ate 90 grams of protein powder (which by itself meets the daily recommendation for a sedentary 250-lb. man).

Can’t say the article is appropriate for this thread but doesn’t seem like it needs its own topic.

So cool though, hope it’s frequented enough as just a restaurant and not pigeonholed into some kind of only-if-you-need-it category.

I was at Chipotle one night and a woman behind me was so curt, saying “I need you to change those gloves and wash your friends. My son has so-and-so allergy. You need to prepare this on a sanitized surface and do this and that.”

The worker just said “yes of course.”

The mother took a deep breath and looked so sad afterwards. Like she hated that she had to treat everyone like they could kill her son. But you could really tell it was a serious allergy and that her biggest fear could come true anytime.

2 Likes

I decided to try it to see if I felt better. I would not have been able to stay on it except a woman who works in the same building is vegan and was so happy that I was doing it and started bringing us food in the beginning. She still does now. It’s been a godsend.

I feel MUCH, much better. I wasn’t feeling bad before. But I do notice a difference.

5 Likes

I don’t know if you cook, but here is a link to some great vegan recipes, Vegan Recipes. Whole Foods carries Tal Ronnen’s nutmilk cheeses. They aren’t cheap, and they aren’t dairy cheese, but they are tasty. As an Orthodox Christian I spend half the year without meat or dairy which is pretty deadly for someone who loves to cook. Good luck!

6 Likes