Any Vegans here?

I love to cook. Thanks for the recipes. I got my hands on a cook’s illustrated vegan cookbook too.

3 Likes

Hi @Luluthemagnificent -

If you’re using Almond Milk for cereal, coffee, etc. buy Three Trees or MALK brands. They’re the only ones I’ve found with just Almonds & Water (Three Trees adds Himalayan salt). The others have a bunch of gums & additives including evil synthetic vitamins.

The thing about a lot of “healthier” alternatives to dairy & meat is they’re full of bullshit, making them processed foods and just as unhealthy. Read the labels. But as @Alkiegourmand says, it takes time to adjust. You’ll find what works for you and it will be become less like work. :slightly_smiling_face:

Glad you are feeling better!

1 Like

I went to Tsurumaru Udon Honpo at the Little Tokyo Galleria (or whatever it’s called now) at 3rd/Alameda a few days ago to try their udon with vegan broth.

I got the vegan broth with regular noodles and added kitsune (seasoned fried tofu) and steamed vegetables. It was not very good. The broth was served slightly hotter than lukewarm. The broth also tasted like the dipping sauce you get with tempura - I was thinking it would be a kombu-based dashi but no. The kitsune was also COLD :expressionless: like it was taken straight from the fridge. I know kitsune is typically seasoned with some sugar but this was so sweet it was offputting. It needed more rice vinegar or salt. The steamed vegetables were fine.

I hate wasting food so I ate all of it but wish I had just gone to Marugame Monzo instead- their “vegetaful” (their spelling, not mine) udon is so much better.

At least it was only $10. :pensive: maybe their meat offerings are better, as the restaurant was decently busy at lunch time. But probably not going back here when Marugame Monzo is a few blocks away.

1 Like

Went to Hinterhof vegan German restaurant in Highland Park the other night. We were a large group and shared tastes. It was a fun experience; good service, good beer, and the oxymoronish food concept worked better than I’d expected–with the caveat that the most successful dishes were the ones that tried least to replicate large pieces of whole muscle tissue. For example, my stuffed cabbage rolls (on the specials menu) were delicious, with a nicely-seasoned ground “meat” filling. The Beyond Meat bratwurst were tasty. But the sauerbraten (also on the specials menu), made with large pieces of gluten, was just nasty. Overall, though, everyone seemed pretty happy with their food (and none of us are vegans).

Off-thread: For dessert, several of us shared “crazy hot” sliders from the Tennessee Hot Chicken stand down the block, and that was the best part of the dinner out. Very spicy, very delicious, very addictive. I had a lovely endorphin high all the way home.

4 Likes

Nice. I went to Hinterhof this past weekend for the first time with a group of friends to celebrate my husband’s birthday on Sunday (Le Comptoir was just for the two of us). The space was nice and the service attentive. The only vegetarians were my husband and me, everyone else was a meat eater but people liked the happy hour deals and the beer selection.

Happy hour menu

Potato pancakes. Crisp outside, nicely cooked shredded potatoes on inside

Bratkartoffeln

The potato chunks were fried and crispy with soft interiors, and the small chopped pieces of tempeh were good and crispy too. My husband ordered this and I ate some but I don’t really like balsamic vinegar much. Would have liked more of the yogurt sauce instead.

Käesespätzle balls. This was just noodles and vegan cheese breaded and deep fried, not bad but cheese could have been creamier, although maybe that’s just because it was vegan cheese.

The only gripe from my husband was they didn’t have any TVs so we could watch football but we went to Hermosillo down the street after with their one tv showing the game.

Went to Donut Friend 2 blocks away to get dessert! No pictures but I got the “Strawberry Lab” and the “Green Teagan and Sara” donuts. Yummy as always.

5 Likes

Good pics! Yep, it seems like the kinda’ place that should have a TV for sports.

1 Like

Has anyone been to these?

http://www.theshojin.com/ (vegan)

https://rakkanusa.com/ (ramen broth is vegetable based)

1 Like

Yes! I have been to Shojin and Rakkan many times.

8-9 years ago, Shojin had a much larger menu. That has slowly pared down over time (I hope this is not a bad sign). I have never ordered ramen there, but I always get a few of the sushi rolls. They’re not in any way like traditional sushi (no fish obviously) but I like how creative and layered they are, as I am so used to having to get the typical cucumber/avocado/“vegetable” rolls at most sushi or Japanese restaurants. It reminds me a little of Shizen in San Francisco, which is also vegan Japanese.
Although the last time I went to Shojin in the spring, I was told that everyone at the table had to order at least one entree…which was weird.

Rakkan is solid for vegan ramen- although they serve ramen with meat as well. Can’t say anything about the meat offerings but my various veg friends and I have always enjoyed the Garnet ramen which is miso-based, but I ask to take out the pork topping and replace with tofu. Flavorful, served piping hot. They turn tables quickly in there because it’s such a small space, but I never feel rushed. They do a lunch special where some of the ramen is discounted to $11 or so (it’s been a few months since I was there for lunch so I don’t remember the exact price). For vegetarians/vegans, Rakkan is much, much better than the vegetarian ramen served at Mr. Ramen a few doors down.

4 Likes

Okay I was looking at the menu and thought it looked smaller. I remember they had an impressive amount of selections.

1 Like

Yeah they also had a larger variety of sushi rolls than they do currently…I worry about it closing sometimes because it’s hidden away on the third floor of the Little Tokyo Galleria, which is a terrible location (that entire building just looks like a prison). I feel like if it was out of the mall, street-facing, it would get so much more business.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s a testament to how much people like it and that there’s a market for Vegan Sushi.

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Yah, I have similar feelings as @hanhgry on Shojin. They used to have a really nice expansive menu a few years back, but I saw it get cut and more items dropped off over time. I haven’t been back in 3 years or so? but enjoyed it when we did go. I liked their vegan sushi rolls as well. :slight_smile: And some of their appetizers and entrees back then, but looking at their website now, they cut all of their entrees section(!). Darn.

2 Likes

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Hopefully, they just cut out things that didn’t sell, because the menu was rather extensive, and not that they’re biz is failing. I went years ago but as @hanhgry said it’s in a difficult location and it’s hard to get my carnivorous but vegan tolerant peeps enthused about going. It’s really sweet once you get inside though.

:sushi:

2 Likes

That’s such a weird building. Looks like just a parking garage. I’ve walked by a few times and couldn’t figure out how to get inside.

That’s always a huge positive for me for any restaurant…

2 Likes

The Lettuce Feast Truck is on Fairfax today.

Fairfax and what?

Across from Canter’s near Badmaash.

Edit @Luluthemagnificent. They’ll be there until 7pm today. In N. Hollywood tomorrow. We didn’t stop because we were on our way to Cofax for the breakfast burrito y’all have been praising, but instead got sucked into Badmaash. :slightly_smiling_face: It was yummy.

1 Like

you gotta get that burrito tho.

1 Like