Best Pizza by the Slice?

Grimaldi in El Seg is not very good, too dry; Good Napoli pizza is Desano’s on Santa Monica Blvd. Very good slices are Brooklyn Pizza on Tampa and KBronx on Sherman Way.
Lamonica’s in Westwood was great, then got ugly, now good.

I’ve been to most pizza shops in the LA and surrounding area, but more out their to be sampled. Can’t wait for Pizza Wagon from Brooklyn to open on Ventura Blvd near Van Nuys Blvd. Also Gino’s East to open on Riverside Blvd. Most LA pizza is not worth the carb effort. On Long Island, there are about 10 pizza places near where I used to live that
are better than anything here.

Let’s not get carried away. Long Island has a lot of great spots like Gino’s in Long Beach and the place right by the train station in Port Wash but it ain’t Brooklyn or even Queens.

NY style pizza (this is my personal ranking with Superfine as the best)
Superfine DTLA
Joe’s Pizza SM or Sunset
Prime Pizza Fairfax or Japantown
Vito’s Pizza La Cienega only
Village Pizza Larchmont

2 Likes

In my old, and I still visit, neighborhood of East Meadow, and local Wantagh and Levittown, the basic pizza places are better than Vitos, Village and Superfine. And no the aint Brooklyn but they are close. And ive been to all on your list, and they aint East
Meadow, but they are better than most in LA. LA

I have no doubt but does East Meadow have Howlin Rays and Park’s BBQ? Just kidding. Bagels, delis, pizza and local Italian place that make heroes/good pasta are the things that are hard to come by out here. Been here for almost 20 years. It was really bleak back then.

Mid Long Island does have poor bbq, and here it’s poor as well in general. I do my own when i have time to kill for a 12 hour shoulder or a 8 hour brisket- that’s why lot’'s of bbq chicken and pork loin. Abraham bagel in Encino, and Brooklyn Bagel bakery on W. Beverly are the best.

I like hot chicken but I won’t line up for 2 hours, plus it;s out of my way, too far just for chicken-and the line.

I’ve been here a bit longer than you. it is generally a wasteland in LA -but the chinese food in san Gabriel valley is great, but a long drive.

I do make my own sauce for pasta the 105 ounce can, buy 3-7 dollar pasta and eat at home a lot. But i am married, and one has to go out from time to time.

This place looks good but I’m not thrilled they closed Sweet Rose at this location.

I wonder how much foot traffic they get there. I’m sure the Main Street location where they took over the Three Twins Ice Cream space gets more foot traffic. I’ve been watching the location for awhile now since my Friday 5:30am runs start from the liquor store parking lot across the street.

1 Like

Thought the same. I don’t see many walkers in that immediate area . . . but then I thought about SaMo High. So . . . this might be close enough to be a cash cow.

Just went to provami in melrose, the new kitchen owned by the old prova owners. Pizza was a little softer than what i had at prova, maybe it’s the new ovens and definitely less leopard spots on the crust. I know he cooks traditional neopolitan style which is softer. Had the margarita and the potato and ham pizza both were very tasty. Talked to the owner and he said he moved because rent was going way too high.

Has more pizza options along with salads and Roman style pizzas by the slice. Go check it out if you’re in the neighborhood.

2 Likes

Here’s a pic of the Milo SRO menu from this morning. Not sure how big the whole pies are.

1 Like

$28 for a pepperoni pie, it better be big.

I was surprised at how big the pies were at Superfine. Might be my favorite non neapolitan pizza place.

1 Like

When only the best will do…

4 Likes

Lol at the last pic! I love me some Costco combo pizza

1 Like

I know it’s shit pizza but it’s super satisfying, $2, and they actually get crispy pepperoni edges.

1 Like

I’ve had way worse pizza than Costco. Have to supplement all the fancy dinners with lunch at the Costco food court. Hard to find places where you can feed a family of 4 for under $10.

4 Likes

Pizza Hut Supreme Pan… Gotta love me some Pizza the Hut every once in a while.

I’ve tried to like it especially because of the QPR but the sauce in my opinion is just too sweet. i just get the hot dog now.

Bring back the polish dog and the $0.55 churro, and not the braided or twisted churro which is caca.

1 Like

Amen to the churro.

1 Like

They had a chicken street taco kit (I think it might’ve been mentioned on the Costco finds?) for $6. Not sure how many people it will feed, but the portions looks pretty decent.

Might try the Milo SRO soon… Sometimes I’m just in the mood for a slice or two and not a whole damn pie…

1 Like

Thanks for posting Milo SRO menu!! Saves me a trip!

They have posted photos on yelp. Pizzas are 18-inches. Sicilian looks more like a grandma pie.

It’s nice to see that this restaurant group sticks to their pricing model of where they charge $20 for breakfast burritos and here $40 for water and flour, sorry, I mean $42 (inc sales tax) for a 3-meat 18” “meat lovers” pizza? Who knows if they do the 3% healthcare surcharge like they do at all their places including Sweet Rose?

Yeah, I won’t be eating here on principle.

It’s F**** pizza. They should rename the joint “Pretentious Pie on Pico”

As for COSTCO:

AGREED!!! I got a whole pie to go last week, I swear it was raw and spongy, and the sauce tasted like ketchup. I think I’d rather have Little Caesars.

Hot Dog and churros. Can’t go wrong!

1 Like