Best Pizza by the Slice?

That’s because the slices at Milo SRO are from an 18 inch pizza which is pretty small for a NYC slice pie. I mean it’s fine if you are ordering a whole pie. Me, I want a slice from a pie 20” or bigger, cut in 8 slices. I believe most slices are from pies that big.

Vito’s is from the same size as Milo SRO, I believe, 18”

Thank you for the report!!

Now, I’m not really interested in your pinky however let’s talk about your middle finger for a second … :slight_smile:

1 Like

The one in WeHo or Santa Monica? I recall the Santa Monica one producing slices that seemed pretty close to a NY slice, but, again, it’s been awhile since I’ve been.

I’m chalking this all up to camera lens distortion. I told @SpockSpork about the interest in my fingers, and he was like, “Uh, okaaaay…” :wink:

1 Like

You’ve got good fingers ! :wink:

The one in Santa Monica makes 18 inch pizzas of us they make a separate one for slices. Joe’s pizza uses a 18”, Mulberry is a 20” Village is 18” — it’s a weird thing I’ve noticed about Los Angeles is that they love 16-18” pies. Here, many people have to get two slices, a New York slice I think you’re usually getting one.

EDIT: See Nemroz’s post below. Proof :slight_smile:

Guess what drunkard had 4 slices late last night at Michael’s?

5 Likes

I rest my case about these silly little Los Angeles slices from an 18” pie. I guess the advantage is you can get two different types of slices.

Good job @Nemroz !!! Why not just get a whole pie to go?? :slight_smile:

Steps. We thought we only wanted two each. Then I saw pepperoni come out of the oven so the third happened. By that time a fourth fresh cheese wasn’t going to make much of a difference lol.

3 Likes

thank you, Nemroz…for a bit o’ sanity!

Looks like they may be close. The paper covering the windows is off and they look ready.

I went to Milo SRO tonight just to check it out. Though advertised as New York style slices, IMHO they aren’t. However the pizza is not completely without merit.

Got a slice of pepperoni and a slice of the Sicilian.

I wouldn’t say the Sicilian ($6.00) is traditional New York style. It really reminds me more of a grandma slice in texture and taste, but with the thickness of a Sicilian. Fresh tomato was nice but scarcely topped. I’d MUCH rather have the Sicilian at Apollonia’s. A more traditional Sicilian can be had at Village Pizza on Larchmont.

The pepperoni slice ($5.50) again is not what I would call a traditional New York slice. The crust is definitely chewier and fairly salty. The pepperoni I could live without. Good quality but it may be my least favorite pepperoni of any pizza place. It was more salami-like and rather bland. The parts of the slice that had no pepperoni coverage were better.

Even though it wasn’t really NY style, it was enjoyable as a change-of-pace. Because, after all, I do like bread. And as bread, this is tasty.

@paranoidgarliclover , the slice is from an 18” pie. What makes it different is they cut it into 6 slices to get it foldable. It’s girth over length. A NY pie cut is 8 slices.

I took a photo of the white pie (it looked pretty good. Next time I’ll see what that’s about), Sicilian and a “Vegan Veggie”.

All in all, it’s… ok. If I lived close by I might pick up a slice, regularly. The setup is VERY convenient. But at $30-40 for a whole pie plus tax plus the 3% healthcare surcharge BS and it’s a pass.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie…that all looks pretty terrible.

3 Likes

Gluten free vegan vegetarian pizza.

What are, five words that should never be combined?

3 Likes

Thanks for the report, @Gr8pimpin, and explaining the oddball proportions of the “NY” slices. I prefer length, for some reason.

Sadly, they don’t look any better in real life. I will say that they taste better than they look (but the taste is still only okay for a local joint, and this place ain’t cheap).

Sadly (again), the combo might be magic west of the 405. ::sigh::

1 Like

I would order that pizza time and time again for team lunches - I got one coworker who is GF, one vegan, one vegetarian.

Then I would order a deep dish meat lovers for myself. For balance.

6 Likes

There’s a 25% Cash Back Groupon for Provami.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/provami-pizzeria?utm_campaign=UserReferral_mih&utm_source=undefined

1 Like

Joes Pizza Sherman Oaks.

Slice of pepperoni was definitely better than what I had the other day at Milo SRO. But still only “Serviceable.” Still like Prime, Village, and Michael’s way better. Probably on par with Mulberry and Vito’s.

The Sicilian was not as good as Milo, though it was closer to an authentic NY Sicilian. It was a little too bready. I know that sounds strange but the Sicilian at Village on Larchmont is as thick but it doesn’t feel like a dense hunk of bread. Maybe it would be better fresh from the oven rather than reheated.

2 Likes

to this day I’ll never understand why Joe’s comes up in the conversation of “best”

that said, it certainly feels authentic - meaning thin, expensive, and average tasting.

2 Likes

It probably comes up in the conversation because there’s so much crappy pizza in the city. And the good places are scattered over a large geographical area. So folks don’t know any better.

Fingers crossed for Pizza Wagon.

Well, their door is open, and there are tables out on the sidewalk. I think they may be open

Pepperoni cup grease chalice alert !!

Pizza wagon is open!!

Pretty good slice!!! Crispy bottom, slight char, slightly chewy crust.

And that spicy pepperoni we love! This pepperoni slice was $4.00. Felt a little on the small side, but it is indeed cut from an 18” Pie.

Overall impressions — I liked it a lot! I need to have another to be able to compare it to to others.

9 Likes