Best Pizza by the Slice?

Got a jonesin’ for NYC pizza this past weekend, thanks in no small part to this thread. Two hot pies, right out the oven from Joe’s Pizza in Santa Monica this past weekend. Come to papa… #EatAtJoes #ScratchThatItch #SoWhatIfThePepperoniDoesntCurlUp

14 Likes

You only ate 2 hot pies? WTF???

4 Likes

Tomato Pie in Silverlake is still my go-to for NY-style. Sicilian is also good there. As is the Tomato Pie square/rectangular slice. When this is all over I’m looking forward to trying Little Coyote!

3 Likes

They are opening a Cupid’s Hot Dogs on Harbor so I wouldn’t say never.

3 Likes

Bikini season: Right around the corner.

5 Likes

Little Coyote was great about 5-6 months ago!

1 Like

I tried Prince of Venice in Westwood a few weeks ago…looked good but way too thick…its more like a Sicilian

What’s your go to these days? I was going to pick up some pies this weekend depending on weather.

1 Like

well jswisco, depends where I’m at…DTLA id probably go to Superfine…last time I was there(2 months ago) they were as good as ever)in the Valley, it’s Pizza Wagon but ask them to make sure its thin…and Little Coyote in LB all for NY style…but if I could go anywhere, Id probably get the “1905” at South End in Venice!

3 Likes

Santa Monica Joe’s was great when they opened but that was close to 20 years ago

1 Like

actually, I forgot about Prime…they seemed to go a bit down hill after a while but probably worth checking out…their Grandma slices were the best…and they’re about to open on SM Blvd just west of Bundy in WLA

2 Likes

I’m likely going to be in DTLA so deciding between Prime and Superfine. I think the limited hours at Superfine will push me towards the grandma slices at Prime. Haven’t been to Superfine since the summer after a lot of conflicting posts about the quality.

Somebody recently posted a picture of a grandma pie from Prime that looked outstanding.

4 Likes

I think Superfine opens at 5pm…but barring any unexpected, random problems, ya can’t go wrong with Prime’s Grandma!

2 Likes

You could take one for the team and try this new place :wink: !

2 Likes

There are recent reviews of Apollonia’s square slices on Yelp. Are they really not currently making them or by “off-menu” do you mean they’re available only for in-person ordering on Fridays and after 4 on weekends?

1 Like

I walked in and picked up some square slices at 1pm on a Wednesday or thursday a few weeks ago.

I think they used to be less readily advertised but now it’s at the top of their order page.

https://apolloniaspizzeriala.square.site/

3 Likes

That’s good to know!

My info may be out of date, but in the past, at least for square slices, it was a Friday after 5:00 and weekend thing. And they were frequently out.

For me it’s by far their best thing so selfishly wish I could get it all the time.

1 Like

Huh. The menu on their web site is out of date.

Ah yeah that menu has been like that forever.

I clicked through to the order online portal and saw the square pies available. I think that order online option is relatively new?!

I tend to just show up at Apollonia when I’m craving it rather than order ahead

1 Like

When I showed up at Apollonia they were unexpectedly closed so not going out of my way to do that again.

2 Likes