Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

Seems to be at the same street number as the Z Pasta Bar that’s visible from the street, on the north side of SM Blvd.

Is that the Colony? Honestly, never heard of this place.

EDIT: ok, it is the Colony. Interesting place. So it’s a dining hall.

https://ordercolony.com/

Posted in May 2020 thread but had to repost bc the pepperoni pie at Superfine was delicious. I have to make it to Pizza Wagon one day

9 Likes

Thanks for the reminder @js76wisco. :slight_smile: Love their Pepperoni Pizza!

Il Romanista update:

Luigi’s opening Thursday’s now too.

FROM FB:

—————————————————
To everyone who has ordered, and the many of you that have ordered multiple times!!!, over these last 3 weeks, THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THE LOVE AND SUPPORT :heart::yellow_heart:When I decided to reopen, I could not have imagined the love and kindness you all have shown me. I could not imagine being so busy that this past Saturday I had to stop taking orders at 6:15 because I already had all the orders I could handle through the end of the night. To (hopefully!) get everyone their pizza fix, starting this week I will also be open on Thursdays from 4-8pm. New menu for the weekend will be up tomorrow (Wednesday) night :partying_face::call_me_hand:
—————————————————

Link to his website

https://www.pizzailromanista.com/

12 Likes

That’s so great to hear! :blush: Il Romanista is a gem and I’m glad they are getting some business, hopefully they pull through!

6 Likes

So happy Il Romanista is doing ok, and glad they are open on Saturday. I had a hard time stopping by previously, although when I did it was magical.

Also wanted to share a long weekend delivery from Stella Barra. We reheated it at home and the results were fantastic. Nothing like the sound of bubbling cheese and a crackling crust.

13 Likes

I can attest, I was a lucky soul that was able to snag a whole pie on Saturday. The worker who answered the phone had to ask if Luigi could make “one more” and she took our order. So grateful because this is by far my favorite Roman style pizza in LA. So glad they are busy, now if only we can get him to stay open on Saturdays!

And the pizza, it was fuckin awesome as usual. The yukon gold and sausage pizza was the fuckin bees knees!

Hashbrown pizza, crunchy top and buttery smooth potato’s and the sausage and rosemary just made a perfect flavor. And that crust.

16 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Nice! So glad you got the last pizza! :slight_smile: I love the potato & sausage as well! The crust, the flavors, all of it coming together for a perfect bite.

3 Likes

I also appreciate the execution of this pie. The quality sausage for it to brown like it does. The creamy potato, how does he do it and yet it is not at all greasy?

4 Likes

Double carb! I’ll almost always get that one plus what ever else strikes my fancy when I’m in for a slice.

3 Likes

The couple of times I was there he did not have this. I really want to try it because a zillion years ago when I was in Rome, potato pizza was a revelation.

I think the Palatino (mushroom) is actually my favorite at Il Romanista

He just posted his updated menu for the week.

Il Romanista Menu for May 28-30, 2020

6 Likes

As soon as some of the breweries in the area open up I’m getting an Amertriciana and Calabrese pie. These slices reheat very well at home too.

3 Likes

Wifey wanted Grimaldis. Too bad Il Romanista doesn’t open until 4.

Pies were good today.

Pepperoni mushroom

Margherita

11 Likes

HI @Gr8pimpin,

Glad they were good today. Bummed that you couldn’t get Il Romanista as well! You should’ve stalled her… run some more errands for an hour or two until they open! :wink:

@Chowseeker1999 I wish we were running errands. Nope. She wanted Grimaldi’s and it was mid day.

I wish Luigi would use this as proof he should open on weekends, going forward. He’s got a brisk weekend business.

As for Grimaldis:

It was like how it used to be. On my last 3 or 4 visits, the pies were tasteless and the crusts were really cracker-like.

I like my pies sauced on the light side. These were perfect. Crust crisp, but chewy. Had good flavor.

Good balance sauce to cheese.

Still, I live near pizza wagon so Il Romanista would’ve been a real treat.

6 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Really glad to hear Grimaldi’s was much better this time. Like you, the last 2 times we went were just not that good, so we stopped going.

Take advantage of the light traffic and try and get to Il Romanista (and Langer’s and Superfine) one of these days! :wink:

1 Like

How do you pick up from Grimaldi’s? The last time I was there it’s like a maze to get to their restaurant

1 Like

Wifey used online ordering and it gave a pickup time.

In the front of the building where Grimaldi’s and the bank are situated, there’s a little driveway, normally where the valets are located, there were short term (5 minute) parking spaces for Grimaldi’s takeout or for the bank.

Huh? Those days appear to have come and gone. :disappointed:

4 Likes

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Update 4 (More To-Go):

Taking advantage of the lighter traffic during this pandemic, we decided to try a few more FTC recommended spots for Pizza Takeout. :slight_smile:

Michael’s Downtown Italian Kitchen

It was strange walking into Michael’s Downtown Italian Kitchen (in Long Beach), as L.A. County had just lifted the restrictions for dining-in at restaurants. It was a bit of a shock to see people actually sitting at tables in this restaurant and eating. :sweat_smile:

For those curious, the guests were seated far apart (2 tables on the outside patio, 1 inside), and as we waited for our Takeout order, we noticed a nice contactless setup for dining in:

Electronic Menus from your own phone:

Our server mentioned that their pies are Neapolitan-style Pizzas.

Margherita Pizza (Housemade Mozzarella, Tomato Sauce, Basil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

They had a wood-fired oven, but as we glanced at the Margherita, the crust looked shockingly pale. We were worried.

But it thankfully turned out to have fantastic flavor. :slight_smile: The crust itself had a slight toasty crunch, thin crust, slightly soft center. I’m not sure this would qualify as a true Neapolitan Pizza, but it was quite tasty either way.

Sausage & Mushroom Pizza (Sausage, Forest Mushrooms, Tomato Sauce, Housemade Mozzarella):

Their Sausage & Mushroom Pie had more color on the crust. Also quite tasty, with a toasty crunch, balanced, zesty Pork Sausage and fragrant Mushrooms, with a sweet-tart Tomato Sauce. :slight_smile:

Bolognese Pasta (Housemade Tagliatelle Pasta, USDA Prime Hand-Ground Beef, Pork & Veal Sauce):

We saw their nice Pasta Menu and had to give one a try. Their Bolognese Pasta with Housemade Tagliatelle was very good. A real meaty, savory quality to the Bolognese (with USDA Prime Hand-Ground Beef, Pork and Veal), it was rich, but not overwhelming and it all combined to make a solid Bolognese Pasta that we’d be glad to have again. :slight_smile:

Michael’s Downtown Italian Kitchen turned out to be a nice surprise, turning out some enjoyable Neo-Neapolitan Pizzas, and a nice Tagliatelle Bolognese as well. A big thanks to @js76wisco for the recommendation, we’d be glad to return the next time we’re in the area.

Michael’s Downtown Italian Kitchen
210 E. 3rd Street
Long Beach, CA 90802
Tel: (562) 491-2100

https://www.michaelsdt.com/

Fuoco

Another recommendation from @js76wisco, we were excited to try Fuoco, as it turned out to be one of the very few officially certified Neapolitan Pizzerias by Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana (AVPN) in California:

Margherita Pizza (Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Basil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

Picking up a slice, the outside crust had a nice tug and chew, and a soft center that wasn’t overly soupy.

This was a legit traditional Neapolitan Pizza, nice balance of Tomato Sauce (not overly sweet, nor too tart), Mozzarella, fresh Basil. :slight_smile:

Funghi e Salsiccia Pizza (Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Roasted Mushrooms, Italian Sausage, Basil):

A traditional Neapolitan style with a nice porky Sausage and Mushrooms and Mozzarella, with a touch of Basil? A delicious combination. :blush:

Overall, Fuoco turned out to be a good traditional Neapolitan Pizzeria in an unexpected part of town. We liked it more than Settebello. We never made it to Antica Pizzeria on the Westside (another official AVPN designated shop) before they closed, but we’ll leave it to @lapizzamaven and others to see how it compares. :wink:

But in the meantime, if you’re in the mood for tasty Neapolitan pies, Fuoco is one of the better options in L.A. / O.C.

Fuoco
101 N. Harbor Blvd.
Fullerton, CA 92832
Tel: (714) 626-0727

https://www.fuocopizza.com/

Il Romanista (Revisit)

Il Romanista continues to survive during the pandemic, with Pizzaiolo-Owner Luigi Roditis doing the best he can with a staff of 1 (himself) (or occasionally a helper taking phone orders).

As usual, you can order up to 2 flavors per full tray size (half and half).

(New) L’olimpico Pizza (Tomato Sauce, Sausage, Roasted Artichokes, Spicy Soppressata, Oregano, Mozzarella, Basil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

Taking a bite…

Outstanding crunchy crust, not too thick, excellent Sausage, Roasted Artichokes, Spicy Soppressata, and Luigi’s balanced Tomato Sauce! And in Oregano, fragrant Basil and Mozzarella with EVOO and it’s an excellent new addition to the menu! :heart: (@Gr8pimpin @PorkyBelly @attran99 @lapizzamaven and others.)

Parmigiana Rossa Pizza (Tomato Sauce, Roasted Eggplants, Cherry Tomatoes, Parmigiano Reggiano DOP, Fresh Basil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

The Roasted Eggplant added an almost earthy, creamy base and a nice contrast to the Tomato Sauce and Cherry Tomatoes. The Parmigiano Reggiano added some nice pungency, fresh Basil and EVOO on top of another perfect crunchy crust! This was a great flavor even without meat. :blush: (@hanhgry @TheCookie and others.)

La Bandiera Pizza (Mozzarella, Roasted Zucchini, Roasted Bell Peppers, Pecorino Romano DOP, Ricotta, Spinach, Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

One of our favorites on the menu, the La Bandiera Pizza is as wonderful as before the pandemic. :heart: Roasted Zucchini, Bell Peppers, creamy Ricotta combining with Pecorino Romano, Mozzarella, a bit of Spinach, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the incredible crust yet again?

Another winner at Il Romanista! :blush:

Curva Sud Pizza (Yukon Gold Potatoes, Sausage, Mozzarella, Fresh Rosemary, Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

We had to give this a try since @Gr8pimpin was asking about it.

RIDICULOUS! As @A5KOBE said, the Curva Sud Pizza turned out to be a great flavor combination, even with carb on carb. :wink: The Yukon Gold Potatoes are in a slight mashed state and crisp up and form a nice topping crust, which gives way to creamy Potatoes within, a zesty Italian Sausage and Spring-like Rosemary, with Mozzarella and Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top of Luigi’s masterful crunchy piping hot Pizza crust! :heart: :blush: :heart: (@PorkyBelly @J_L @Gr8pimpin @JeetKuneBao and others.)

Another Visit:

(New) Pariolino Pizza (Shredded Zucchini, Pancetta (Cured Italian Bacon), Mozzarella, Burrata):

This new addition to the menu turned out to be another winner! The Shredded Zucchini, Mozzarella and delicate, creamy Burrata adds a lightness to each bite, but then you get a bit of decadence with the crisped up Pancetta (Cured Italian Bacon), lightly crunchy, porky, balanced out by the other ingredients. :heart:

Cecina Pizza (Vegan) (Garbanzo Bean Pureé, Yukon Gold Potatoes, Porcini Mushrooms, Parsley, Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

The Cecina turned out to be the first Pizza flavor we did not love at Il Romanista. It wasn’t bad, but for this Vegan Pizza flavor, there’s too much carb on carb on carb:

Unlike the amazing Curva Sud (also with Yukon Gold Potatoes), here the Potatoes are truly shredded like Hash Browns, on top of Garbanzo Bean Puree, which adds more earthiness, on top of the amazing crunchy crust. The result is a hearty bite of neutral earthy, mellow flavors. The Yukon Golds are crisped up on top and the bottom is the crunchy outstanding crust, but all together in one bite, it just lacks flavor.

The Porcini Mushrooms and Italian Parsley should’ve been flavor spikes, but there is not enough of them, and too much Potato, Bean & Crust. :frowning:

Crostino Americano Pizza (Mozzarella, Mushrooms, Sausage, Parmigiano Reggiano DOP):

This is essentially the Non-Tomato Sauce version of the Boscaiola. It’s hard to go wrong with Mushrooms, Sausage, Mozzarella with Parmigiano Reggiano, and it’s as wonderful as before! :heart:

Palatino Pizza (Mozzarella, Mushrooms, Provolone, Porcini Mushrooms, Parsley):

One of our favorites from the very first visit to Il Romanista, the Palatino Pizza is just a Mushroom Lovers dream, using 2 types of Mushrooms adding real crave-worthy flavor, Provolone and Mozzarella brightened up by Italian Parsley, all on top of the piping hot, toasty, crunchy crust! :heart: (@hanhgry @PorkyBelly @lapizzamaven and others.)

We’re happy to see that Il Romanista is surviving during the pandemic. Pizzaiolo-Owner Luigi Roditis continues to make our favorite Roman-style Pizzas in L.A., with an excellent menu catering to meat lovers, vegetarians and vegans alike.

Il Romanista
829 North Douglas St.
El Segundo, CA 90245
Tel: (310) 616-3111

https://www.pizzailromanista.com/

Superfine Pizza (Revisit)

Spinach on White Pizza (Four Cheeses, Spinach):

Toasty crunchy, piping hot, Superfine’s hybrid Neapolitan with New York-Style Pizza crust continues to shine with one of the more underrated Vegetarian Pizza options around. :slight_smile:

Veganissima Pizza (Tomato, Garlic, Rapini, Salt-Cured Olives, Capers, Oregano, Chilies, Mint, Parsley, Basil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

A massive flavor bomb, the Veganissima Pizza has a ton of flavor despite it being vegan (with no fake meat, and no Vegan Cheese). I love the Tomato, Salt-Cured Olives, Rapini, Capers, Oregano, spicy kick from the Chilies, fragrant Mint, Basil and Parsley on that crispy-crunchy crust. :blush:

Chocolate Chip Cookie:

Superfine makes their own Chocolate Chip Cookies, which turned out to be a nice surprise. A light crust with a chewy, soft center.

Pepperoni Pizza (Pepperoni, Tomato, Cheese):

Superfine makes our favorite Pepperoni Pizza in the city! Today’s visit was just as good: Look at how wonderful that crust looks (above). :blush:

Taking a bite:

Gorgeous grease chalices (Pepperoni) crisped up, incredible flavor with Superfine’s balanced Tomato Sauce, and that crispy-crunchy Pizza crust! :heart:

There were some great pies enjoyed on this Pizza Journey, and some new places we’d be glad to return to when in the area. And for those that haven’t tried, Il Romanista and Superfine continue to be worth the drive, delivering some of the tastiest Pizzas during the pandemic.

• Note: During the pandemic, you have to order everything (even Slices) online through their website.
  • When you finish ordering Slices, ignore what the system says about the wait time: Walk directly to the window and tell them you ordered Slices and they will have it ready for you quickly, within minutes. (Otherwise your Slices will be sitting, steaming in a To-Go container if you show up at the supposed later scheduled time.)

Superfine Pizza
1101 San Pedro St., Unit F
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Tel: (323) 698-5677

14 Likes