Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

@Chowseeker1999 do you know what are il romanistas hours? I tried calling today because I was in the area around 3 and didn’t get an answer.

Thanks!

Hi @hungryhungryhippos,

Yes, they are currently still under Limited Hours due to the pandemic:

• Thurs - Sat, 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

But you can call earlier before 4:00 p.m. to pre-order. Enjoy!

1 Like

Thank you! Will try to check them out this weekend!

1 Like

Glad you tried this. He didn’t have this combo available on my two visits. But in Rome years ago, this combination was a revelation (though the ones I had did not have the sausage).

The Palatino was my favorite over the two visits I had. Damn, so so good!

Thanks again for the review.

Is Michael’s downtown the same as Michael’s pizzeria in Naples island? I’ve dined at the Naples island spot.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999 very glad to hear you enjoyed Michaels and Fuoco. I’m happy to hear they are both open and both practicing good social distancing between tables.

We are headed up to Santa Barbara this week and going to stop by Superfine on the way up. My kids pretty much demanded it after we gave them a bunch of choices.

2 Likes

nice pizzas, Chowseeker…Superfine and Pizza wagon in Sherman Oaks are my favorites for NY style slices…As for the former Antica Pizzeria in MDR…that was the home base for AVPN as the president of VPN Americas, Peppe Miele, was the owner for many years…now he runs the AVPN pizza school in Inglewood near LAX…IMHO, Peppe Miele played the biggest role in changing Americans’ pizza outlook and tastes
and Il Romanista looked great as usual!

3 Likes

Chowseeker, not sure why Superfine refers to its pizzas as Neapolitan, though…?

I think you should also try Pizza Wagon as you traverse the 101 this weekend. I really enjoyed the pizza there last week.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999 Good call, maybe on the way back we will try pizza wagon. It’s the closest we’ll ever be to pizza wagon.

2 Likes

Hi @hungryhungryhippos,

You’re welcome! Hope you enjoy the visit and please report back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Thanks for the recommendation to try the Curva Sud! It was great. :slight_smile: You should definitely try it on your next visit. :slight_smile: (You need to visit again soon, and visit Langer’s (and Superfine is minutes away from that!) :smile:

It looks like Michael’s Downtown is the same restaurant group as Michael’s on Naples Island, but different chefs, slightly different menus.

1 Like

Thank you again @js76wisco for the nice recommendations! :slight_smile:

Hope you enjoy Superfine on the way to SB this weekend, please report back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow Fuoco looks really good!

I went to the original Antica in MdR years ago and thought it was pretty bad. I still think Mother Dough had the best true neapolitan pizza in LA. RIP.

3 Likes

Hi @lapizzamaven,

Thanks for the info about Antica being the home base for AVPN! I had no idea.

As to why Superfine calls it that, I think it was just that particular Pizzaiolo we spoke to. He had said that Superfine’s pies were “a cross between New York and Neapolitan style”, their own interpretation, but I agree with you that they are more like a good NY than a traditional Neapolitan.

Either way Superfine is delicious. :slight_smile: Hope you get to try them (and Il Romanista) again soon. :wink:

Have you been able to visit South End since they re-opened during the pandemic? If so, how are the pizzas holding up right now? Thanks.

1 Like

Chowseeker, thanks for reminding me…Ive got to get over to South End! and yeah, Superfine def deserves its name!

1 Like

Yah Fuoco was a pleasant surprise. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the report back on Antica, and the reminder on Mother Dough. I went once and enjoyed it. Sad to see them gone.

Now I’m going to have to try Fuoco. Guess I know what I’m doing this weekend.

4 Likes

Pizza wagon :steam_locomotive:

5 Likes

Has anybody had the chicken roll at Pizza Wagon? I grew up on these in Queens. The best chicken rolls were at Fresh Meadows Pizzeria. Never seen chicken rolls in California.

Hi @js76wisco,

Thanks for the suggestion. :slight_smile: We’ve had their spinach rolls before (which look exactly the same, just with spinach), and those were surprisingly delicious. I’ll have to try the chicken roll next time, unless @Gr8pimpin tries it first! :slight_smile:

2 Likes