Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

Even compared to Gjusta? If so, I may need to make the drive…

Yup. I feel Gjusta’s rendition has room for improvement. The bread is a little too chewy where the ingredients tend to fall out and the sandwich as a whole could be assembled a bit more tactfully. Close race, but if I had to choose, I like Little Coyote for overall flavor and eating experience. Little Coyote also has a really delicious meatball sub too. Not too saucy and delicious tasting meatballs.

2 Likes

Controversial take.

We’ve been to Pizzanista 2-3 times per pandemic and enjoyed the pizzas. But when traveling to downtown we preferred Superfine. Yesterday we were blocks away with a bunch of kids so we went to Pizzanista. The dining room is closed. There are 3 small tables out front and they do pretty brisk take away. In the parking lot there are 8 covered picnic tables.

We ordered a whole pepperoni pizza. The pepperoni pizza at Pizzanista yesterday was better than the last two pepperoni pies we had at Superfine and El Coyote. Th Pizzanista pie is a true 18” NY style pie. Great corniche and crispy on the bottom. No flop and loaded with grease chalices. Sorry forgot to take a picture. We would choose Pizzanista over everybody except for Pizza Wagon at this point.

They also sell cold day old slices for $1. Great deal. The slices are individually wrapped in plastic and you can choose any slice they have available. Just ate one for breakfast.

14 Likes

Holy shit!! I love this!!!

1 Like

Well, Signorelli’s is closed. As in :skull:

RIP
Rest in pizza

3 Likes

Has anybody been to Brooklyn Avenue Pizza Company? I didn’t see any mentions when I searched. I saw an IG post and the pics on the interwebs look good

I had pizza at Rossoblu that was marketed as “superfine” style. It definitely did not taste like superfine in its hey-day don’t be fooled by the marketing hype if you stop by Rossoblu.

2 Likes

All I know is my pizza from Rossoblu that I picked up with dinner tasted amazing

1 Like

Doesn’t the pizza at Rossoblu come directly from the kitchen of Superfine? Pretty sure that’s what Chef Samson told me last time I was there.

1 Like

@Ns1 thats good to hear unfortunately the two that we got were undercooked and doughy and the cheese was kind of cold.

@tailbacku if that’s the case it’s a bit of a walk between kitchens the since Rossoblu is on the south side of the plaza and superfine is in the northeast corner. Mebe that explains why the pizzas didn’t taste great :face_with_monocle:?

stopped by Prince St yesterday for a pre-Horses bang. Crust was amazing but as a full package it was well short of NYC’s greatness. Reheats at home were a lot better - would suggest take out or following the “get whatever is fresh” rule. Even with the shortcomings, the end product is still middle of the pack. I’d come back for full pies.

2 Likes

Dave reviewed Lamonica’s pizza and gave it a 6.6 which is not very good.

Lamonica’s was a top tier NY pizza option back in 2005.

1 Like

That might be the last time I ate at Lamonicas.

Concur.

I worked in Westwood (in an office on the same floor as Monty’s) back in the 80s. Then, they used to bring the water in from New York (before they started just making the dough in New York).

It was pretty damn good. It’s just not the same.

They had a branch in DTLA for many years. As far as I was concerned, they were the only NY pizza shop in DTLA at the time.

2 Likes

Is it my imagination, or didn’t their pies have a much thinner crust back then compared to now?

I had it yesterday, possible for the first time, although my vague recollection is that I might’ve had it sometime btw 2006 - 2010.

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at it if someone offered it to me, but I don’t plan to return on my own. In addition to the taste (or lack thereof) itself, the place is built like a huge bathroom, and the noise (esp after a long workday) made me want to poke my eyeballs out, even just for a pickup.

3 Likes

I used to go to that branch (DTLA) in 1998 when i worked in DTLA. it was good slice.