Farmers market, currently in season PSA

We first tried purslane a few months ago (introduced to it via a CSA box) and have been addicted ever since. I now buy it at the SMFMS every time I go. It’s supposed to be amazingly nutritious, and yes, we’ve only eaten it cooked. We usually just stir fry it - you could use salt or soy sauce, though lately I’ve been adding a teaspoon of Red Boat to stir fried greens. (Side note my favorite thing used to be ong choy + fermented tofu but now I just use fish sauce; almost the same amount of umami, and much less of a PITA to clean the pan).

Oh yes, where was I - purslane. The lemony taste stays during cooking, so it tastes like it’s naturally mildly pickled. Also, the tobust texture personally reminds me of cactus. Since I’ve seen nopales in tacos, I thought to add stir fried purslane to a tortilla and it ended up working pretty well.

7 Likes

such a classic :drooling_face:

1 Like

Flat Iron Steak + Sautéed Summer Squash, Purslane, Shrooms, Chickpeas, Shallot, Garlic + Harry’s Berries Cherry Tomatoes, Sautéed in Oil, Fish Sauce, Sugar

Sautéed vegetables were lemony from the purslane & seasoned w/black pepper, liquid aminos & sherry vinegar. I marinated steak in leftover PRD ginger-scallion sauce, lemongrass paste, soy sauce & chili oil. So good! :heart:

Leftovers w/Pasta

This was good but I had to remind myself that the slight fishy taste was from the fish sauce in the leftover tomatoes. The pasta got a tad overcooked because someone didn’t come to the table right away. :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S. Purslane in a taco is a great idea @NYCtoLA.

6 Likes

Has anyone tried the current varietal of Tenerelli yellow peaches? Saw these pop up on their affiliated Instagram where they were described with the skin being far more yellow in color vs. your typical peaches which are usually on the red side. I normally don’t enjoy yellow peaches anywhere near as much but the description got me to spring for a couple and WOW! :heart_eyes: I really loved these! Even more than the white peaches I usually get! No pictures because I only got two and had to make sure it wasn’t a fluke. And then they went way too fast when I finally got to them.

Based on what they told me at the stand, it seems like this or next week/end might be the last chances to grab their peaches. I’m definitely going to grab myself a bunch of these this weekend if they’re still available. Noticed nobody wrote about them and couldn’t stop myself from sharing haha.

6 Likes

I got some this week! I think they’re called Fairtime yellow peaches, and they were sweet and a little tart. Were you able to grab their September Snow white peaches too? They’re lower in acid and most of mine have been really sweet. :drooling_face:

4 Likes

We enjoy them too! When we first started out, we liked the white peaches more, because they are crunchy and sweet. But the yellow ones are more complex, with additional fragrance and just a touch of acidity to go with some sweetness.

8 Likes

@noddles @NYCtoLA I generally love the white peaches and found the yellow peaches a bit too tart for me. But the recent varietal of yellow peaches really straddles this perfect line of sweet and tart that really takes it above the white for me. Sadly not sure what they’re exactly called as I didn’t bother to ask and at the market I always go to I know the right side is white and the left side is yellow. I’ll have to try to ask if they’re still there when I go in the morning!

4 Likes

Autumn flame (though I remember July flame also earlier in the season)

8 Likes

Love all of the flame varieties!

2 Likes

Grabbed a few myself and looking forward to see how they taste! Too bad they are out of the previous varietal of yellow peaches, which I confirmed to be Somerset peaches. Apparently, next week they’ll be bringing out the Last Chance peaches as well, which they told me are a bit closer to the Somersets in some respects. Fingers crossed that we’re all still around in 2021 so I can get at those Somersets again (among other things haha)!

3 Likes

Arnett Farms has them.

1 Like

Arnett Farms is now doing fruit boxes and preorders through Clementine. They just drop it in your car. They have a good partnership with Tamai farms but Tamai is taking a break right now. This thread makes me so jealous. We’ve been locked down so hard and I haven’t been to a FM all summer. All the delivery fruit is so substandard.

3 Likes

Tenerelli still had Summersets at the Culver City FM today. It’s funny because last month Farmer John gave his Star Performer award to the Summersets this season, but then he said yesterday on their IG that the Autumn Flames came out the best of all their yellow peach varieties. Guess I might have to check Mar Vista for the Autumn Flames.

5 Likes

Autumn flames are delicious bought some at hwood fm on Sunday. Ate the other one!

Also tenerelli has some delicious white nectarines.

5 Likes

Are these peaches mealy? I stopped buying peaches from Arnett about 4 weeks ago because the were really mealy. I transitioned over to pluots but now I feel like stone fruit season is over. We don’t have a Tenerelli near us but would venture out to Hollywood or Brentwood on Sunday.

2 Likes

I haven’t had any peaches from Arnett to compare, but the peaches from Tenerelli haven’t been mealy for me. And don’t lose hope! Tenerelli will have stone fruit for another two weekends!

1 Like

Cerritos Farmers Market has Tenerelli on Saturdays. I think there may only be 2 more weeks left before they close shop for the season.

2 Likes

I didn’t know Tenerelli started selling at CC! :smirk: I don’t have time for all of my local FMs every week (Bev Hills, CC, Wellington, Crenshaw, La Cienega) so I started choosing BH because they had Tenerelli’s & Harry’s Berries. I do like the energy at the little BHFM and they have Dry Dock Seafood, but I love the Herb stands at CC and you can get more produce and herbs for Asian cooking at CC.

2 Likes

Got some Tenerelli Arctic Mist White Nectarines from Mar Vista FM last Sunday, pretty nice

@js76wisco I would say generally they are not mealy. I had about 15-20 Tenerelli peaches, maybe 7 different varietals this season. None were mealy except one varietal that I got almost three weeks after they were first shown on the Tenerelli IG page, and it seemed like the varietals usually change every 1-2 weeks.

@TheCookie they posted this list of FMs on IG in July, could be different next year

3 Likes

Nice! Thanks @Yoda.

Look what I got at BHFM folks. Yep Harry’s Berries’ Seascapes! The worker said even he was surprised when they loaded him up with these. They were fresh, firm and most were pretty darn sweet for this time of year.

4 Likes