Home Cooking 2022

A frequent problem, less so now that we live in Seattle.

1 Like

Rachel Gurjarā€™s skirt steak with scallion thecha recipe in Bon Appetit is really fantastic. I prefer that spicy nutty thecha over a chimichurri or salsa verde, and itā€™s even better with fried eggs added.

16 Likes

Fried eggs make everything better! Great job!!

1 Like

a properly bolognese with essential browning at every step. so great

https://imgur.com/gallery/919ASEm

6 Likes

Looks fantastic! How do you like that cascatelli pasta?

Do you use veal and beef in yours? Partner made some on Monday, and the grocery store closest to us was out of veal, so he used all-beef. Also added a tiny dash of nutmeg since he had seen that somewhere. It was very good, but it didnā€™t have the mellow depth of the one that also has veal. Not much of a pic:

And he also made some cookies over the weekend (using some variation on the Bon Appetit recipe for Levain-style cookies). Yeah, itā€™s a bit underbaked in places, but so tasty. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Great looking cookie! Vicente Foods usually Carries ground veal btw & nice looking pasta too yum!

1 Like

Not within walking distance, like the Ralphs is. :wink:

I think we got the pasta from Bristol Farms awhile back? Or was it Epicurus? They came in nests. I think we mightā€™ve finished off the box, but Iā€™ll look to see if I can find it.

And, yes, that bolognese is totally delicious. :slight_smile: Weā€™re using the leftovers for sloppy joeā€™s in the near future.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the mixer there for?

Marcella Hazanā€™s B-sauce actually calls for nutmeg. Now that we grind pork at home weā€™ve switched to that. And I make a 4x or 5x portion so plenty for the freezer.

2 Likes

iā€™m pretty obsessed to be honestā€¦ i got a case of it and itā€™s confirmed every time i make itā€¦ iā€™ll be getting moreā€¦ but none of the off brand ones.

2 Likes

Yes, always veal, pork, beef. I saw some at Ralphs the other day. But basically I donā€™t make this until i know iā€™ll have all 3. my partner goes to the Armenian store and gets me large hunks of veal, which iā€™m now able to grind down with the other meat. Forgot the chicken livers this time but thatā€™s pretty key for me. As was the msg.

1 Like

Itā€™s a grinder, you can see onion coming through it in the photo.

Hereā€™s the pizza from yesterday with the same bolognese :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Oh, I see now. You grind the onion. For me that would be too fine. I just chop all the vegetables.

the onion is for something elseā€¦ i was clearing the meat with it.

Ah, I use a little bit of bread for that.

If you donā€™t have veal it sometimes help to add a little bit of powdered gelatin (as veal adds texture to the ragu by the gelatin) and also some powdered dry mushrooms to increase the umami levels (soy or fish sauce also help)

2 Likes

Isnā€™t fish sauce amazing?!?!?

1 Like

in my case MSG

2 Likes