Home Cooking 2022

No Breadcrumbs. But Egg to help bind it together and keep it moist. The other thing is the Ground chicken is super soft (even the good stuff I get from the poultry place… the one they sell in the packages are awful), so I don’t pre make the patties, it’s just a recipe for frustration. Instead grab a large spoon (not a serving spoon) and load it up like a ice cream scoop. Then on a hot non-stick or well oiled pan (I use a cast iron griddle) plop it and spread it out. Each side takes about 3 minutes and it gets a nice sear. I made it this week (For got to snap a pic!) and had it with some whole wheat chapati and it was SO GOOD.

1 Like

Good tips @Dommy!

I cook with ground chicken a lot and am always looking for new ideas. Perfect season to combine with zucchini. I’ll report back. Thanks!

Work has been a little slow so I have been cooking. As I had a big bunch of chard needing to be harvested from the LettuceGrow, and I have been dying to make Judy Rodgers’ onion chard panade, I did so, along with a pan roasted pork tenderloin, and radicchio slaw. Quite good. Every time I make a recipe from the “Zuni Cafe Cookbook” I lament that Judy’s life was taken far too quickly. The panade was even better the next day sauteed in olive oil as she recommended.

Tonight I attempted the holy grail of bbq, a smoked brisket. Turned out wonderfully. Slightly under five pounds, injected with brine, seven and a half hours at 225 until it hit 203, rested for two hours in a newspaper stuffed cooler. So juicy and so good! Served with potato salad, biscuits, Tapia Bros.’ corn, and tomatoes. Dessert was Stella Parks’ triple coconut cake, How to Make the Ultimate Coconut Layer Cake.

I am so happy to have friends over for dinner again!

8 Likes

That all looks phenomenal. Glad you are enjoying all that!

1 Like

My Sweetie Pooh Peony cooked some Jiang Nan dishes. Loved it. All vegan for a completely vegan Sunday! 爱你爱你

2 Likes

I’m going with Sweet Pea.

1 Like

#freepeony

3 Likes

1st world problems. I’m getting tired of making the same salads with the beautiful delicious in season tomatoes, corn, zucchini, etc…boo hoo poor SoCal people and their farmers markets.

So I made this salad today. It’s an oldie but goodie. Sugar snap peas, radishes, mint and ricotta salata.

7 Likes

Hah! I’m in the process of doing a sugar snap pea salad post too! And yes, a lot of repetitions of corn, tomato, zucchini, avocado salads going on right now… and yes, we’re spoiled SoCal peeps. :sweat_smile:

P.S. Love your thinly sliced radish.

2 Likes

I think I need to make this salad.

1 Like

We like the garlic and balsamic in the dressing which adds some bite and acidity. Good luck finding ricotta salata in the north OC. I went to Bristol Farms and the cheese person said Mizithra, Greek sheep’s milk, was very close and she was correct.

2 Likes

I have seen it before at Claro’s and Cortina’s. But I’ve not checked recently so I don’t know it’s still in inventory.

1 Like

Ricotta salata and Mithizra are basically the same cheese except for sheep vs. cow.

1 Like

Duh. Thanks for reminder.

1 Like

Peony: Wasn’t expecting Warrior would share the picture online otherwise I would’ve tried harder with the presentation :grin: Thanks for the support!

In case you are interested, dish 1 is Shaoxin preserved mustard + Jade bitter melon ( I find it more crunchy and less bitter than the green bitter melon)

Dish 2 is Bamboo mushroom and Sinquas. This is not a classical combination. I was just being creative and trying things out :grin:

Dish 3 is tofu and eggplant :eggplant:

3 Likes

Meal inspired by @attran99.

Salad w/Wild Purple Rice, Sugar Snap Peas, Red Bell Pepper, Easter Egg Radish, Cilantro. Dressing: Viva Oliva Honey-Ginger White Balsamic, Viva Oliva Sesame Oil (both courtesy of @attran99), Vedge Oil, Rice Vinegar, Honey, Minced Shallots & Ginger, Tamari, Togarashi, Sesame Seeds

I get a lot of salad and vegetable ideas from America’s Test Kitchen’s The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook

Misoyaki Chilean Sea Bass

Marinated for 24hrs. Put broiler pan in oven to get really hot before adding fish, broiling about 8 minutes. Sea bass is such a fatty forgiving fish I could’ve gone a little longer for more caramelization, but it was still buttery, juicy, delicious.

Braised Daikon in Dashi, Haku Shoyu (fancy soy sauce), Sugar, Sake, Mirin

I cooked them a little hard which reduced the sauce and darkened the daikon before it could get super tender but it was tender enough and pretty delicious for my first time. :hearts:

Dashi

I had all the ingredients (kombu, bonito flakes, water) and it’s quite simple to make.

There was wine…

Buttery, creamy, baked apple, honey, vanilla, no overpowering oakiness. Also a gift from @attran99 w/a tip to serve it w/Misoyaki Chilean Sea Bass. Yesss! If you need a food pairing consultant she’s your gal. :hearts:

9 Likes

That looks so amazing!

So glad you enjoyed it!

1 Like

The picture is amazing and you are amazing! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

If you are ever in the Valley Epicurus has it. My wife picked up some at Gelson’s as well.

1 Like

Murray’s will ship it as well, https://www.murrayscheese.com/search?keywords=ricotta%20salata although I don’t know how much they charge.