Home Cooking 2022

Poor man’s version of Majordomo short ribs.

12 Likes

An unusual fried rice recipe from Kenji’s new book, “The Wok”. Excellent cookbook, btw.
This has shishito peppers and corn cut off the cob. His recipe calls for Spanish choriso as well, but I left it out. Quite tasty and very healthy.

5 Likes

Lookin good

1 Like

Selling things.

Made this as part of meal prepping for the week. Marinated the chicken thighs while I was cooking other dishes. Grilled them instead of broiling in the oven. Turned out pretty good and almost like the photo in the recipe.

Used the leftover Zhug on some salmon filets and did a quick roast in the oven. A touch of heat dissipates when flaked into rice. Chowpups approved.

3 Likes

Love easy and delicious.

Visited Bulgarini in Altadena and brought home Focaccia and Tomato Sauce. :tomato: :two_hearts:

Chicken Meatballs (yes chicken) stuffed w/Robusto Cheese - Ground Chix, Breadcrumbs, Milk, Egg, Crushed Red Pepper, Poultry Seasoning, Salt, Puréed Onion, Garlic & Italian Herbs.

Mixed and wrapped around cubed Robusto. Browned then simmered in sauce with a little wine on low for a bit (about 30-45 mins?)

Casarecce Pasta, w/Leftover Sauce, Eggplant, Sungold & Cherry Tomatoes Roasted w/Olive Oil, Fish Sauce & Sugar, Robusto Cheese

There was wine…

8 Likes

Those meatballs look great!!! My favorite ground chicken meatballs are these. I use mini fresh mozz balls for the ultimate gooeyiness

1 Like

@SpockSpork decided to make a basque cheesecake….

9 Likes

As a follow up (since we were waiting for the cake to cool when I took the pic)… It was quite good! From the peek I got at the recipe (not sure where @SpockSpork found it, but I’ll try to find and post later), it’s quite diff from the Dave Beran one.

The pictured cake uses cake flour and no egg yolks. The Dave Beran one had no flour, 10 egg yolks, and creme fraiche. So the texture of “our” cheesecake is quite a bit lighter than the Basque cheesecake from Dialogue/Pasjoli, and the flavor is sweeter and less savory. It’s less decadent. Planning to give lots to our neighbors since we clearly don’t need to eat the whole thing ourselves… :slight_smile:

BTW, when we bought the cream cheese from TJ’s, the cashier said they had been out of it for awhile! Supply chain issues w/ cream cheese, too??? :frowning:

1 Like

Santiago Rivera’s original has no flour. This version of the recipe does not specify but he told us he uses Philadelphia.

I buy cream cheese at Costco, hasn’t been out once so far.

2 Likes

Nice @Dommy. I’ve used smoked mozzarella before. I like how they’re rolled in the breadcrumbs before frying in your recipe.

2 Likes

Also, your recipe is reminding me that I forgot to list an egg in my ingredients. Will edit!

1 Like

I made Kenji’s carne asada recipe today. My son said the carne asada was better than Chipotle so I have that going for me. The meat ends up being much more flavorful than most carne asada that we’ve eaten. It was delicious and had a nice char. Sorry forgot pictures. The only deviation from the recipe is I used chile negro instead of ancho. I couldn’t find ancho chiles at Northgate. We used flap meat from Bristol Farms which is 75%'more expensive than the ranchero we used to buy pre marinated at Northgate. But I think it’s worth the investment.

10 Likes

Good article. Interesting point about the Spanish cream cheese being saltier than Philadelphia’s. Wonder how much salt one should add to compensate? Perhaps a 1 teaspoon?

And partner used hand mixer w/ the beater attachment. I imagine that could cause quite a diff texture than would the paddle attachment of a stand mixer (or using a food processor!!!).

Santiago Rivera uses Philadelphia and his original recipe adds no additional salt.

Did the tomato picking and then jarring. Very satisfying. I opted to make a sauce rather than just pack whole peeled since it’s not hard to buy cans any time but a good sauce I never buy

14 Likes

Me too and that recipe looks great.

2 Likes

Burrata, Ken’s Top Notch White Peach Wrapped in Prosciutto, Fried Ceci (chickpeas) & Cilantro Salsa Verde, White Balsamic aka Summer on a Plate.

I’ve been wanting to make this dish since @PorkyBelly posted it on the Osteria Mozza thread. Finally had all the ingredients at the same time. I first tried to get cute and use Italian Cicerchia (I have a lot of legumes, lol). Fail. Stick to regular ol’ Chickpeas for frying. And never having tried the dish I had to wing the Cilantro Salsa Verde (steeped cilantro in olive oil, lemon, red pepper flakes, s&p). I also added a swirl of syrupy, sweet, tart White Balsamic. My ingredients and skill don’t reach Ms Nancy’s but it was pretty delicious all the same. :peach: :two_hearts:

There was wine…

Happy Summer Eating!

13 Likes

Were the chickpeas dry or cooked before frying?