Horses šŸ“ - Hollywood

Itā€™s the tone for me, ya know? Itā€™s one thing to say ā€œIā€™ve enjoyed all sorts of restaurants, from very casual to very high-end ā€˜fine diningā€™,ā€ but itā€™s another to announce ā€œIā€™ve been to the most famous fine dining on the planetā€ - as if fame really made a restaurant great.

Point taken though, like if someone is a regular at Mibu, Kataori, Comptoir Feu, and Etxebarri, then Iā€™m definitely listening to his or her opinion on food very closely. But he or she is not going to describe those restaurants as ā€œfamousā€ and bring up experiences there when discussing the food at an elevated pub. The preamble to bolster credibility just comes off a bit insecure to me.

If someoneā€™s been once or twice to say The French Laundry and such and is quick to point out how ā€œfamousā€ those restaurants are, then that doesnā€™t really give me any confidence in his or her judgment on other restaurants. I know several people who have been to a couple of 3-star Michelin restaurants and whatever but know next to nothing about food, display embarrassing dining etiquette, and letā€™s say have odd dining preferences (such as diluting red wine with coke). Theyā€™re always trying to insert their Michelin experience into a conversation about other restaurants. Theyā€™re otherwise decent people when not bringing up their supposed food clout :sweat_smile:. And there are quite a few bloggers or food influencers who dine at great places but really donā€™t get the food, often mistaking dishes for others or not understanding presentations but are quick to write them off because of their visits to other high-end places. (I kind of see why some restaurants want to be ā€œintroduction onlyā€).

Diners can be to blame at times, but I donā€™t think that Horses was just a hollow, hyped mediocre corporate hotspot for ā€œlamesā€ following celebrity cool ā€œmanufactured by dubious characters and imposters,ā€ as Bill portrays it to be. In this case, Iā€™m not saying that Bill Esparza doesnā€™t know a spectrum of food, but Iā€™m saying ā€œso what?ā€ to his claim that heā€™s been to the most famous restaurants on Earth. Not really relevant to me to his ability to give an accurate take on Horses, which I donā€™t think is ā€œThe Spotted Pigā€ for California that like he suggests. Sure, Horses and The Spotted Pig are both ā€œgastropubsā€ and have controversy, including Ken Friedman, but food wise? Thereā€™s Zuni, The River Cafe, Harryā€™s Bar, etc. all mixed in, not just pandering to Angelenoā€™s basic tastes or whatever. I think there are more accurate takes, but Bill seemed intent to denigrate dinersā€™ love of a good burger and take an easy dunk on the place in retrospect.

This is nice though

8 Likes

He hasnā€™t eaten at Horses but is running it down because of how it has been portrayed in the media? He has nothing better to do with his time?

2 Likes

Heā€™s tilting at windmills, though on some level I appreciate his hot takes.

But the idea that Angelenos are specifically and uniquely hoodwinked by Horses - as if every major city doesnā€™t have sceney hotspots serving elevated classics - feeds into all the stereotypes about this place his work tries to combat.

3 Likes

He also ignored the offal and other unusual dishes on the menu that make people like he purports to be want to go there.

1 Like

I thought he said in one of the stories Ponchos Tlayudas has better blood sausage so maybe he has been to Horses? Or was it just that he knew Ponchos would be superior?

2 Likes

2 Likes

This makes sense now. He congratulated Eater for abstaining from giving praise to Horses and feeding the supposed hype (while calling out the LA Times, NY Times, and The Infatuation), but Eater also seems to like Horses - the cornish game hen in particular.

ā€œand then thereā€™s the food. Try the Cornish game hen with roasted dandelion panzanella and the delightful sheepā€™s milk cheesecake.ā€

*"Cornish game hen with roasted dandelion panzanella at Horses in Hollywoodā€¦

thereā€™s no hype about this place, just carefully selected elements that make Horses resonate in the best way. Now onto the food. One bite of my spatchcocked cornish hen gathereed an incredible mouthful of butter and herbs, but the contrasting crispy panzanella kept me quiet while the rest of my party continued the conversation. As a generous diner, Iā€™m usually the first person to offer a shared bite, but this is one of those dishes that kept me from speaking up. The formula worksā€¦this is my official LA joint."

I guess at least they didnā€™t recommend the boudin noir though (even though moronga is made with different ingredients)?

Tbh though, in looking at Billā€™s meltdown on Horses, I am learning about some new Mexican spots to try :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

At least youā€™re getting something useful out of it!

3 Likes

I suppose he thinks heā€™s not being racist because heā€™s latino, but thatā€™s just more internet-troll idiocy.

Maybe heā€™s retired and is using a bot to spew nonsense on his Instagram.

1 Like

To get more than a little academic, that cultural outsiders can be more perceptive about the dominant/normative culture goes back to at least Du Bois and double consciousness. But itā€™s not intrinsic or racial per se. Itā€™s about being an outsider/othered in society.

And to your point, thatā€™s not quite how heā€™s using these ideas. Heā€™s doing bot level essentialism.

I do appreciate the shine he gives to indigenous and ignored producers and foodways. But on this stuff he loses the plot.

6 Likes

Kind of a slap in the face to all the Latino cooks making that bougie chicken but whatever

3 Likes
4 Likes

Such a wild story! Sounds like they are still going to be working together then?!

1 Like

ā€œThe pair must also remain 100 yards from each other, though the judge said that can be lowered to 10 feet when they are working at Horses or their other restaurant Froggyā€™s, which was supposed to open soon in New York.ā€

LOL

6 Likes

I suspect that clause is something they hope to avoid by not working together. He reportedly hasnā€™t worked at Horses in months.

controversy aside, the food is still good

only semi-decent pic of the night. the play for us is

• panino
  • caesar
  • tartare
  • salmon lavash
  • burger
  • Herman
  • Vesper & Hotel Nacional
  • dessert at home

7 Likes

looks like the garden at horses isnā€™t a separate resy/menu anymore. there are a bunch of garden patio tables now available under the horses resy page.

3 Likes

Thanks for the shout. Heading over for the first time tonight. Curious to see if it lives up to the hype.

Edit:
Food came out outrageously fast, but everything was delicious. Loud restaurant, but the soundtrack was right up my alley. Caesar, Panino, and Pasta a la Herman were the highlights.

5 Likes

whoa. fuk ya Shadrack

2 Likes

donā€™t listen to the haters and get the over the top pork chopā€¦ and the armenian wine!!!

2 Likes