July 2020 Rundown

Yeah that’s the best one for takeout cook at home frozen dumplings. Some people even drive an hour outside of SF to there just to stock up!

1 Like

Green Ridge toast to you!

1 Like

Rita’s Gate of India

Veggie samosa, chef special lamb curry, bhelpuri, raita, and saag paneer. I think these are the best possible orders there though she always says we should get chicken tikka. + rose picked up from Andrew’s Cheese Shop.

7 Likes

Stopped by Bulgarini for a nice lunch with family. We wound up eating lighter than I had hoped, especially in regards to gelato, but had a great time. The heat that day really caught up to us.

Focaccia

Potato Gnocchi with Pesto

L to R: Nectarine Sorbet & Pomegranate Granita, Chocolate Orange & Hazelnut, Strawberry Sorbet & Mascarpone

Nectarine blew me away and was my favorite overall but the Strawberry & Mascarpone was really in a league of its own. So dialed in. That was the pairing Leo suggested after we ordered Nectarine, Pomegranate and Chocolate Orange. He added on the Hazelnut to pair and when we asked for one more suggestion gave us that masterpiece.

Cannoli

Thank you @Chowseeker1999 for mentioning the cannoli in one of your recent posts. Was a huge hit.

Lol at first I tried to cut a small piece for my grandmother. It wasn’t happening and Leo happened to walk by and say “You can’t cut a cannoli.” Luckily he understood why I wanted to cut it. I was scared for a second of catching some shade from the master.

19 Likes

James Sugishita’s bento box for this week. Absolutely marvelous!! Without a doubt the best Japanese meal I’ve had since the pandemic started.
Tekkadon w/ otoro
Kinki Sumibiyaki(charcoal grilled Hokkaido rockfish)
Aji bozushi
Agedashi Yomogifu(Fried/simmered Wheat-Gluten)
Age dashi nasu
Yaki-Renkon(Grilled Lotus Root)
Daikon Gomae(Daikon Stems w/ Black Sesame Sauce)
Atsuyaki Tamago
Daikon Namasu
Kegani(Hairy crab)

21 Likes

Nice visit and report to Bulgarini @butteredwaffles! :slight_smile: Glad you enjoyed the visit. Leo’s Gelato and Sorbetto sound so good right about now.

1 Like

Love the entree to dessert ratio. How was the pesto?

Dim sum from Capital Seafood

Ruby BBQ That siu yuk is just so ridiculously decadent; the roast duck was better than I remember last time!

Obligatory bandwagon mango passionfruit cream pie from Republique :smiley:

Reheated slice of salami honey pizza from Superfine. Sorry to hear the downhill alerts, though I’ve been reheating mine anyway, so that may be why I didn’t notice

Daughter’s Deli The pastrami might be a tough more dry than I remember from Langers, but that could also be an issue with delivery; the bread was just perfect! These were the “Noi” and the “Papa” (aka Langers #19).

Gjusta. The prime rib butcher sandwich is finally baaack! The rareness of the meat has been inconsistent across my orders, but it’s always delicious.

Pasta Sisters. Believe it or not, my first time trying was a few weeks ago (we’ve since ordered again) - this pasta survives takeout quite well (no surprise, given the focus on fast casual). Amazing QPR.

That outstanding Providence strawberry tart

29 Likes

cuisine promiscuity on full display

4 Likes

What a weekend of eating!!!

The Pasta Sisters Bolognese is clutch for a quick easy dinner. Definitely recommend getting some of that sauce to-go.

1 Like

Lol! yeah I need to get back there more often.

I loved the gnocchi. Really wanted to try it after hearing all the praise about his pesto + I’m always down for gnocchi. Great bite, not too chewy, doughy but not raw.

1 Like

@A5KOBE I tried the Catfish sandwich at ADB this weekend…and loved it. Thanks for the tip. The fried catfish was super crispy outside, and deliciously creamy inside. Loved the aioli, hot sauce, onions and pickles. Washed down great with their new Orange Bang cocktail.

4 Likes

we had take out @holybasil_dtla thai pop up this sunday to go…and i think we had the best pad thai in LA–the tamarind seasoning, umami–dried baby shrimps,and heat… was spot on. .scarfed it down so fast didn’t even take a photo, I know pad thai is one of those dishes that’s so common, it rarely gets critical review, but holy it was good. I would love to see what some of the thai food afficionados on this board thinks @Nemroz @JeetKuneBao

9 Likes

I’ve been having pad Thai cravings so badly lately that I got one from joom and it sucks. I’ve been tracking holy basil for a while and a friend orders there a lot but it’s too far. Thai town is closer

1 Like

Pad Thai is a great dish imo. It just needs to be balanced. It absolutely has to have tamarind. Some umami and a little bit of heat. A lot of places make it into a glop of sweet.

Did you try the krapow? That is probably one of the most popular and important Thai dishes. Not a lot of places use Holy Basil and if they do kinda skimp on it.

@hppzz did a quick search on your site and didn’t see a Krapow or Pad Thai recipe, would love to see you guys take these on!

Speaking of Pad Thai…

Not pad Thai but the unofficial “third” noodle dish at Sapp is the Sen Chan Pad Pu. Crab and egg, but with that familiar tamarind flavor. Balance it out with some spice. It is possible to eat all three noodle dishes in a single setting! I love the crushed ice with Thai Tea/Coffee, so good on a hot day.

Yai’s (Hollywood Blvd location I never go to the Vermont location) has a Isaan style Pad Thai, which as you can guess is more spicy. It’s hard to not get the Crispy Pork with Morning Glory or Chinese Broccoli with a fried egg at Yai’s though

3 Likes

we have had their grapow…it’s very very good too and they are going to great lengths to use holy basil. I’ve talked to them and they are even trying to get the oil/essence somehow for when it’s out of season. we do have a holy basil plant and have made it,but its one of those things like pad thai, that the more and more you make the better you get.

they are very keen on doing it right and have RD those dishes to death… right now, holy basil is pretty much concentrating on grapow and pad thai. I wish it wasn’t just on sunday so more pple could try but think they may open storefront soon.

2 Likes

@Ns1

Here is the Pad Thai you been looking for!

yes, yes it is.

Omg. This is real intel!

Also 2nd Sapp!? Also which one ya Yai