LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Much too much effort to watch my soviet family say ew

1 Like

I wouldn’t know. I was only permitted a tasting menu lol.

I’ve done it with gasp the frozen, grated ube.
I’ve also done it with Okinawa purple sweet potatoes, which I guess are a little different , but I’m not Filipino so my tastebuds are not fully trained to suss out the differences. I try to always use fresh stuff when possible so I go with the Okinawan.
But sweet potato pie is always awesome, whatever cultivar you want to use.

1 Like

In theme of the thread… I love pie but I refuse to go to Pie Hole because of its name.

3 Likes

Okay. Here goes . . .
I think Broguiere’s egg nog is some gloppy gloopy sugary mess.

1 Like

Follow up, bourgeois dining in LA is bad QPR, NY and SF present much better values. (Exception is LA Angler)

1 Like

Adding to that, LA’s fine dining scene is pretty weak compared to NY & SF. Mchelin was right in not giving anybody 3 stars here.

2 Likes

Is Pie Hole the place in the Art District? If so, I went. Not impressed (and I also love pie… Well, good ones, at least).

1 Like

I don’t know about other brands, but Libby’s canned pumpkin is so close to the home-cooked butternut squash we use I’m not sure I could tell the difference once they’re made into pie. Libby’s uses Dickinson pumpkin, which like butternut is a cultivar of Cucurbita moschata.

https://parkseed.com/dickinson-organic-pumpkin/p/52700-PK-P1

In my experience, cultivars of Cucurbita pepo, which include the Connecticut Field (standard for jack-o’-lanterns), Small Sugar, and Sugar Pie varieties, tend to be stringy and watery when cooked, resulting in inferior pies.

2 Likes

Yep! They have a few other locations as well and they visited my office as a Fooda… but I still remain a NOPE.

Had the Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich and was thoroughly underwhelmed. Something about their chicken has a really unpleasant aftertaste to me and I’m not sure what it is. I feel the same about the fries and feel like it’s the oil.

CFA wins by default for me.

My husband feels the same way. But he did enjoy the heat from the Popeye’s sauce and the bun is better than CFA.

1 Like

I say no to homophobic chicken… sorry.

9 Likes

So I totally get this.
I love bulgarini’s pasta, but it’s of a particular style.

Which chicken do you think is homophobic besides Chick-fil-A?

That’s the only one I’m aware of. If Popeyes pops off with millions toward regressive tactics then they’ll get blacklisted too

3 Likes

To be fair, CFA stopped donating to the 2 organizations that are said to be anti-LGBTQ. They’re now only donating to a small select group of organizations that focus on education, homelessness and hunger.

Just because they more recently donated less to those organizations doesn’t mean that we should forget how much they donated to such organizations before. Such companies as CFA should be avoided forever - financial pressure is the only way to change anything with them.

5 Likes

I know ownership or their religiousity hasn’t changed. First of all it’s not even good and we should aim for higher grounds on FTC

1 Like