LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Here here. I am intolerant of intolerance. My GF loves CFA but I refuse to set foot in it. Plenty of other places to give my favor to.

7 Likes

I felt the sameā€¦ then I found out my wifeā€™s cousin and her wife still go. Damn Polynesian sauce gets 'em every time.

So, do we eliminate threads like Drunk/Stoned and FTC Confessions? What I love about this place is that thereā€™s room for everyone and every food; even if itā€™s a guilty pleasure.

4 Likes

Ya fuck that noise. If i did a deep dive into the politics of any big franchise or even mom and pop stores for that matter, Iā€™d probably find something that doesnā€™t sit well with me. Doesnā€™t In n Out still have bible verses on their cups? Iā€™ll continue to eat whatā€™s good and convenient when it suits.

9 Likes

Chik fil a is just a mediocre sandwich that I wouldnā€™t even take over a Subway sweet onion chicken teriyaki even before we get to their trainwreck politics.

2 Likes

You should. We all have different ethics and tolerance level. Iā€™m on the side of ā€˜donā€™t start none, wonā€™t get noneā€™. And if CEOā€™s are publically speaking out against justice and obviously promoting evil, itā€™s quite easy for me to find an alternative. But you do you. Eat that homophobic anemic chicken

4 Likes

Thank you for saying this. Exactly how I feel as well.

1 Like

Do you only care if itā€™s public vs private views?

Do you have to know the restaurants owners political and social views before eating at the establishment?

You do know that older Asians typically are socially conservative? (Generally)

All those places in Koreatown, SGV, South Bay, etc. I am willing to bet that some of your favorite places the owners do not align with your beliefs

3 Likes

Yup, just doing my part to make sure those chickens didnā€™t die in vain, tasty lil thangs.

Slippery slope. Iā€™m doing my best not to end up as that grumpy old grampa at thanksgiving.

If a business is public about it itā€™s easy for me to care and act.

3 Likes

there is no higher ground than the drunk/stoned thread.

10 Likes

Most breakfast burritos are bad.

4 Likes

Agreed. Breakfast burritos should just be . . . regular burritos eaten in the AM.

3 Likes

There is a significant difference between publicly voicing political opinions and giving money to certain organizations and a business owner who has a private opinion. And yes, if any small mom and pop shop would voice their opinion publicly and support political/religious fringe organizations I would also avoid them and support any people/organizations who try to get them out of business.

4 Likes

Then the same must be said of Carlā€™s Jr. too. And for that matter Mercedes, Barclays, Krupps, on and on.

You just said the financial pressure is the way to change them. But when they change itā€™s still not good enough. (Though i get it. It is probably just a business move).

I would think that we would give room for people to evolve and change. Otherwise, everyone would be blacklisted, including every politician whoā€™s changed positions.

I enjoy going to CFA with my gay adult nieces and nephews.

But Iā€™d rather have Popeyes.

(Ok, sorryā€¦ Iā€™m done with politics here too. I have enough on social media and at family gatherings.)

3 Likes

One big problem with boycotts: companies have less incentive to change because studies show that people keep boycotting them anyway.

Iā€™m sure there are right-thinking people who still wonā€™t eat grapes.

2 Likes

Okay, I got one. I liked Lucky Boyā€™s greasy, salty, loaded with neon orange cheese taco in a crunchy shell way more than their more ā€œauthenticā€ carne asada taco.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if I agree with you about Bulgariniā€™s Pasta but I like your cleverness. I begrudgingly agree with you about Holbox vs GT. :smirk: But I like La Cevicheriaā€™s Aguachile betterā€¦ so there.

1 Like

I am quite open to change my opinion about people and companies if they change their habits, financial support but I tend to not believe them immediately but just watch over 1-2 years if their changes are honest. (And just to make clear I donā€™t expect any person or company have exactly same opinion as myself on every key issue and I love discussing politics with everybody (and in particular people who have quite different opinions as long they are within a reasonable spectrum (and I am quite tolerant) - but support of something like conversion therapy by CFA (and the current VP) is just unacceptable, extreme, fringe politics/support/opinion.

8 Likes

Got it! Thank you for clarifying!!

1 Like