Lotus of Siam

Unfortunately, no. Fried rice and garlic prawns x2 was already pushing it knowing we were doing the Aria bang x3.

2 Likes

I stopped here for lunch since they were booked for dinner. Walked in, waited a few minutes and was sat promptly.

Kana Moo Krob - stir fried Chinese broccoli, garlic, and crispy pork belly slices with oyster flavored sauce

This was a tad bit salty but I didnā€™t mind, because it was so delicious and the broccoli was cooked to a nice crunch. The salt level sort of balanced the richness of the pork belly and sweetness from the oyster sauce. Parents take note, if you want your children to eat their veggies, add large chunks of crispy pork belly.

Spicy Garlic Prawns

From the great wisdom of @attran99, I heeded the advice of ordering the garlic prawns spicy at level 5. Wow! Even better than the non spicy, it made the shatteringly crispy shrimp shells even more delightful. The level 5 was like a Jitlada level 1, next time iā€™ll tell them to let me have it with Thai hot. Still excellent nonetheless!

Drunken Noodles w/ Soft Shell Crab

Wanted some drunken noodles and the waiter recommended it with the soft shell crab. This was a tasty dish although the soft shell crab sort of got lost in the bold flavors of the dish, aside from the two fortunate bites with the crab guts. Next time Iā€™ll order it with another protein. The dish was cooked well although not as spicy as I would have liked, I added a bunch of chili condiment.

Crispy Duck with Panang

Always a winner.

Dessert Platter - fried bananas, coconut ice cream, coconut sticky rice and mango

All good, perfect way to end the meal. I really enjoyed the herbal flavor and aroma from the coconut sticky rice. And parents take note again, to get your children to eat their fruits, wrap in egg roll wrappers and deep fry, then serve with ice cream.

4 Likes

So glad you enjoyed your meal! I just drooled on my phone reading your review. Now Iā€™m going to need to plan a trip to go back.

3 Likes

I was unconsciously licking my lips and making this weird smacking sound looking at these pics. LoS is the best.

1 Like

Weā€™re going to be in LV in a few weeks and have dinner res there for one of the nights. Sure got me in the mood :slight_smile: Thanks.

Have fun! Lotus of Siam is a gem for the city.

Thanks. Weā€™re only there for two nights to see Jimmy Buffet. Lunch the day of is going to be Jaleo. I havenā€™t been there in close to 20 years, Bob even longer.

1 Like

ETC: You ā€˜guysā€™ gave me these recs and I appreciate it enormously.

Those garlic prawns were incredible! Our server said some people donā€™t eat the shells!!! I was almost forgetting to eat the prawns I was concentrating so hard on the shells. Also had the pork belly which was fine but not anywhere near great. Some of the pieces were seriously overcooked. But we liked it any way. Had a nice bottle of Reisling. I thank yā€™all so much for this.

1 Like

ā€œOur server said some people donā€™t eat the shells!!!ā€

Iā€™ve travelled all over Asia for 40+ years and eat lots of shrimp dishes in other cuisines as well. I never have done more that suck on the heads. Butā€¦ Iā€™m curious (especially since my daughter lives in Vegas and we visit) ā€¦ is there something about LOSā€™s prawns or the shells, or cooking technique used that makes them more than a crunchy, seemingly unswallowable thing (at least IMHO)?

1 Like

Weā€™ve been busy all day so I havenā€™t had time to dig into this but I think there are some copycat recipes. I didnā€™t post a pic of the shell but here it is.

He said they fry them and then saute with garlic. Theyā€™re crispy like a cracker or potato chip and ridiculously good. The pic is the shell only but no head or tail. You will love them, promise.

@Midlife They call them prawns, but they are actually just big shrimp, so the shells are not thick. Easier to fry crispy.

Whatā€™s the best order here for a group of 4?
Going for my dadā€™s bday next week.

Crispy duck panang, garlic prawns, nam prik ong, glutinous rice, crispy mussel omelet.

Finish with fried bananas, a scoop of coconut ice cream, and mango stick rice.

1 Like

Gotta get the nam kao tod - crispy rice with sausage salad and garlic prawns. You can ask them to add spice to the crispy garlic prawns.

1 Like

Good point.

Anything else?
Halp

Between @js76wisco and @moonboy403 's recs, itā€™s quite a bit of food. And if you love the garlic prawns as much as me, you order 2 of those. I also like the drunken noodles but with the sea bass an not the soft shell crab.

Iā€™ve been to Vegas ~20 times in my life and never seen the strip so empty. The only crowded place in Vegas is LoS. 30 minute wait during lunch today. Everything was great as usual.

Also this

4 Likes

Everyone else is doing it right? Plus, the lower prices at Asian restaurants are almost certainly are in the backs of the workersā€¦

1 Like