Nemra’s Made-up Yet Delicious Recipes

the flavor is totally different depending on cuts used… Kenji L did a whole test and ended up concluding that surprisingly the chicken breast provides the nicest tasting chicken stock. i like whole chicken, with extras thrown in because we can use the meat too and have a batch of soup, then 2 lbs of chicken for salad, and tons of stock.

4 Likes

I’m not sure. Check out this video, RAMEN SCHOOL #1 | How to Make Basic Ramen Broth | Chintan Clear Soup - YouTube, at 10:48 he chops off the toenails. It may be to release more gelatin. I know when chicken feet are served as dim sum the toenails are clipped off.

1 Like

Nice picture!

Thanks! It was one of those rare instances where it’s visually evident that they’re very different despite being fundamentally the same ingredient.

1 Like

That’s abundantly practical and makes the fullest use of all the ingredients.

I tend to make batches of stock in a pressure cooker just to have the stock. That’s probably where I get so locked into my mindset of using specific cuts and following the same protocol to get a consistent product.

That was an interesting article but I’ve never tested it out myself. I tend to follow Dave Arnold’s school of thought about pressure cooker stocks (and brown stocks, double stocks, etc.). It definitely has it’s limitations, though: I’ve never found a pressure cooker shrimp stock recipe I’ve liked. Maybe I should switch to the whole chicken approach you use.

2 Likes

This has been a super interesting conversation. Thank you to everyone who has posted.

4 Likes

Very interesting article. Thanks for the link.
I use an Instant Pot (sorry @Nemroz) and buy necks, backs, wings and feet at Whole Foods, along with the usual aromatics. I generally reduce the stock after the Instant Pot phase as I like a more concentrated flavor. Also, per Judy Rodgers, I always add a little salt to initial ingredients. Tastes great, but the cooker extracts so much flavor the leftover meat doesn’t have much flavor. The dog likes it though.
A trick for storage: as the feet add so much gelatin the chilled stock is pretty solid so I use my vacuum sealer to package the chilled stock in sealed bags. Lasts at least six months in the freezer. I also freeze some in an ice cube tray and then transfer to a ziplock. Perfect size for saucing stir fries.

1 Like

yall do what you want but im’ with the school of thought of people like Ina Garten which is low and slow… low heat, no boiling and pressure and insta to speed up the process is just elevating the heat/pressure to extract faster… but it’s the slow release that drives the results i want. mine went for 8 hours… who cares how long, we’re jsut home anyway :slight_smile: obviously i wont judge anyone’s choices

khash is done the same way… super slowly all night long.

4 Likes

Ok so first you send your woman to Epicurus and get some Duck rilette And Le Tur a tripple cream from piedmont which is now probably our favourite cheese (on 4th wheel).

Then you drop by Haute Mess for a baguette, mortadella and olives

Then you run to your closet, go back to 2007 when you got Syrah at Ecluse and stashed it away for the perfect length of time (holy cow it was soft and lovely )

Then you slow fry Kurobuta chops from Huntington’s you’ve had on garlic, ras al hanout and sunflower seed oil all day

And you have yourself a nearly perfect wine Wednesday

14 Likes

Nice!

Ditto… didn’t know about the toenails.

For some reason it depends on the batch of feet. Sometimes the stock gets so gelatinous and the schmaltz so thick & oily I can use it as cooking oil, other times not so much. :thinking:

Edit: just saw this. :point_up_2:I think that’s it!

That’s hilarious. I wouldn’t have imagined you could get a batch of fat feet

1 Like

The farms where beaks are removed on chickens produce feet that don’t have as much collagen because birds can’t devour their peers while in captivity. It’s an inferior product

1 Like

Here’s what you do, right?!

Take some nice fatty pork (a thick pork chop used here). Cut in strips and marinate with soy, garlic, toasted sesame oil, white pepper, mirin and rice vinegar. Sweet soy or some brown sugar Or more mirin

Oh super duper high heat when the pan is smoking you add veg oil… sear the meat mixture… 4 minutes, add chopped onion and carrot. 3 minutes later add cabbage… then 2 minutes later add bok choi and kabocha squash that you pre-steamed.

Add a cup of seasoned water or stock and toss in rice cakes which you broke up and par boiled for 2 minutes. Stir stir stir and add soy as needed.

Also a lot of scallion which I didn’t have. Also I tossed in celery… basically do whatever the hell you want as long as you cook on high heat and balance flavors

Little graduate was happy happy

6 Likes

Interesting @nemroz. It makes sense, but the last 2 times I bought them (1 batch really gelatinous, 1 hardly at all) it was from Whole Foods. They won’t buy from farms that clip beaks… at least that’s their claim.

I call ‘dishes’ like that “kitchen sink” as they have everything but the kitchen sink thrown in. BTW, who Nemra?

1 Like

My WF sells chicken feet.

1 Like

Me.

Yea I actually wanted to call it “empty out the fridge stir fry “

1 Like

Sorry weird joke lol. I was unsober

3 Likes