Noma - Mexico

Couple of interesting articles from the LA Times:

I wish the media could get away from musings about “appropriation” and to whom the “statement” about Mexican food belongs. Noma cooks in Mexico, so what? They have gone deep into the study of local ingredients, exploring or discovering different sides of the potential of Mexican food, and the results are ostensibly delicious or at least very interesting… what’s wrong with that, and why do we have to talk about “conflict?” It’s expensive, for reasons that one can easily understand, and it’s destination dining, likely to draw a certain crowd. So what?

2 Likes

Did you see this by Pete Wells, NYT. A little bit of a jackass IMneverHO.

And then this in followup from Vulture

1 Like

A little homework would have turned up this response by the project manager, Santiago Lastra:

Podrá ser un chef danés y un equipo internacional, pero tienen ustedes que entender que este evento está hecho por mexicanos y para mexicanos …

“It may be a Danish chef and an international team, but you must understand that this event was done by Mexicans and for Mexicans …”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.mx/santiago-lastra-rodriguez/en-respuesta-a-la-critica-a-noma-mexico

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/a-world-class-chef-built-a-600-pop-up-in-the-mexican-jungle-it-might-be-the-meal-of-the-decade/2017/04/25/e3b75244-284e-11e7-a616-d7c8a68c1a66_story.html

1 Like

I moved this to “Food in the news and other media” since that’s pretty much what this discussion was about, plus the restaurant no longer exists.

1 Like

Hi @BradFord -

While I find Noma intriguing and can definitely understand seekers traveling anywhere for the express purpose of dining at a Noma pop-up - unless I’m going to be there for a while I :heart: Mexico too much to spend time stressing about such things.

With that said… I cannot agree with this more…

[quote=“BradFord, post:42, topic:4927”]
I wish the media could get away from musings about “appropriation” and to whom the “statement” about Mexican food belongs. Noma cooks in Mexico, so what? They have gone deep into the study of local ingredients, exploring or discovering different sides of the potential of Mexican food,[/quote]There is a difference between this and the bottom feeders looking for low hanging fruit.

[quote=“catholiver, post:43, topic:4927”]
Did you see this by Pete Wells, NYT. A little bit of a jackass IMneverHO.
[/quote]I did not read it, but you are f-ing hilarious.

Huh? :slight_smile:

You called the guy a jackass. It was funny.

I meant it in the sweetest possible way :slight_smile: Better than MFer!

1 Like