November 2021 Rundown

I wasted so many late nights playing Tony Hawk Proskater munching on some Cheetos and Del Taco. I would have geeked out if I saw him. He was on the Burger Show iirc so the dude loves a good burger.

6 Likes

Had a double cheeseburger at Bill’s Hamburgers in Van Nuys. Honestly, it was a lot better than almost all of the new hyped up smash burgers around town. Of course, it took like 30 minutes because he makes one burger at a time and moves at an impossibly slow pace, but if you just accept that is part of the process, this is a great old school burger. I like it better than Apple Pan and Pie n Burger.

5 Likes

As much as I like the burger I just can’t with the ordering process. You could probably place an order at Bills, drive to BNSD and eat, bang with Ricky’s, and still make it back before Bill is done.

4 Likes

And posts like these are what have earned FTC its reputation :laughing: FFS, Bill is 95 years old!

10 Likes

Yeah, I get it. It’s also tough because of the hours. When I go, I just plan to hang out in the car and listen to a podcast, otherwise you’re just standing out there baffled as to how it could possibly be taking this long.

1 Like

Happy Thanksgiving, y’all…

11 Likes

people gotta know not to try Bills on their lunch break just because they saw it on some Eater list.

1 Like

Ohmigod, maybe this reveals too much about me, but I was like, “Okay, I know I’ve not been paying much attention since Michelle Kwan unofficially retired, but I don’t know of a figure skater by the name of Don Nguyen.” Whoops.

And what is the reputation???

3 Likes

There would be a picture of lunch from Cassell’s on 6th here if not for this:

3 Likes

We’ve passed by on foot a couple times and with the outside dining you get a look at the goods and the goods look goood and the diners look happy chowing!

1 Like

We do a very early Thanksgiving. Next year I need to make a much bigger prime rib. The modern mac n cheese and the scalloped potatoes with gruyere cheese were both a big hit. New additions that are staying on the menu.

17 Likes

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I personally am not a fan of Thanksgiving food so my fiancé and I went to Newport Seafood (San Gabriel location) for dinner like we have in years past. The wait was around two hours but we didn’t really mind. I read a couple of reports on here saying that the food had gone downhill, but everything was as great as always to us. The service was surprisingly good for such a busy night as well.

We got the house special lobster, bo luc lac, rice noodles with shrimp, and gai lan with oyster sauce.

18 Likes

Lovely Thanksgiving meal at Charcoal in Venice.

Highlights were soup (so rich), cabbage, smoked white meat turkey (!!! Not normally a white meat fan), and pecan pie (not at all sweet, and no weird gloppy filler). Cranberry sauce was a bit boozy (in a good way) and nicely spiced. Apple pie was a touch sweet, IMO. And the dark meat was a bit firm. Setting is clearly upscale but welcomingly casual.

And I liked the plates so much, I took a pic!!!

(upload://yBHAVtm5CV4sj0ZiAoMNWajxHWl.jpeg)

17 Likes

Hey! How did the Mac n Cheese turn out? My brother usually makes the Campbell Cream of cheddar Mac N Cheese, but had to work on T-Day so I gave him Ice Cream Duty… It made P very very sad.

1 Like

Everybody loves the Mac n cheese but I think I need to work on the recipe. The sauce was smooth and silky as promised but there was not as much sauce as we would have liked. Maybe I need to 1.5x the amount of liquid, sodium citrate and cheese. It was my first time cooking with sodium citrate so I used a scale to measure everything out. My only concern is if the Mac n cheese will be too salty with all that extra sodium citrate. When we tasted the sauce without any pasta the sauce was very salty. The sauce was very liquidy that I didn’t think it would set. I put the mixed pasta and sauce in the fridge overnight. The finished product was good. Definitely an improvement over the roux and bechamal method we previously used.

3 Likes

What was the price of the lobster per lb? I heard it’s over $30/lb now. I believe it was ~$17/lb pre pandemic.

2 Likes

It was a 4lb lobster at $27/lb.

2 Likes

Damn 27 is crazy inflation!

1 Like

We really enjoyed our meal at Menya Tigre (Sawtelle) last night. Takoyaki, fried shrimp curry, and pork katsu curry.

19 Likes

Taco Maria is firing on all cylinders.

Paloma

Bay scallop aguachile

Ensalada de camote (Sweet potato “salad”)

Camarones a la diabla (minus one)

Lubina con patacas (Baja striped bass on sunchoke puree with crispy brussels sprouts)

Mole de pato

Frijoles de olla (Fresh-shelled scarlet runner beans)

Aguacate tatemado (Charred avocado with cumin and hazelnut oil)

Regretted not ordering the curtidos, as some acid would have been nice. No room for dessert, sadly. Patio seats were closer than I am normally comfortable with, but the overall experience was excellent.

Festive view from patio:

16 Likes