Peanut Butter & Mayonnaise Sandwich

Tried it once and it wasn’t great - it’s fat on fat which gives it an odd mouthfeel

I tried bacon and peanut butter long ago, it was kind of like satay, not bad.

As a kid I would make P.B & J with mayo. I just thought i was weird had no idea it was a thing

Putting this on the list with ketchup on hot dogs and mayo on corned beef on white bread.

4 Likes

I don’t understand the hate of ketchup on hot dogs it goes great with mustard and relish.

3 Likes

In NY when we were growing up it was sacrilege to put ketchup on hot dogs. For me it was always deli mustard and sauerkraut or deli mustard and red onions. Yellow mustard which is just vinegar water with food coloring would not go over well either. My daughter loves ketchup on hot dogs. It has caused a lot of friction in our house. JK I don’t really care anymore. Eat what you want. Ketchup on scrambled eggs though is fighting words.

https://twitter.com/andrewzimmern/status/1478929972525944836?s=21

4 Likes

Wow! I grew up in NY too. That may be the origin of the dislike for ketchup on hotdogs. OTOH as I’ve gotten older, and less tolerant of spicy condiments, I’m OK with ketchup on scrambled eggs. Probably comes from the ketchup mixing with potatoes in hash and home fries served with eggs. If I’m feeling adventurous I’ll try salsa but usually pay for it later.

To hungryhungryhippos: IMHO it doesn’t.

3 Likes

I used to hate ketchup on eggs but sometimes it goes well if you have eggs ketchup toast and bread or a mix of other things not just the egg.

Speaking of fat on fat, I used to eat peanut butter and butter when I was a kid. Also peanut butter and honey, which makes a little more sense.

2 Likes

Morning after a fun night, I made an omelette. The most beautifully perfect omelette I have ever made.

Person I made it for admired it, then went to kitchen, pulled out a bottle of Heinz, and completely drowned the damn thing.

(Other than that, they had good qualities and so the relationship lasted for some time, but I never forgave them for that wanton, thoughtless destruction. I also never again made them an omelette.)

On the other hand, I like ketchup AND mayo on hotdogs/brats. And when I was little I loved mayo sandwiches. So, maybe I should refrain from being all judgy?

6 Likes

I still eat butter and peanut butter sandwiches - and often put honey on them, too. Also butter/peanut butter/honey on toasted sourdough, or rolled in a flour tortilla.

2 Likes

:wink:

3 Likes

Yep. Total Fat Cat/Well-fed Sea Mammal goals for 2022!

(PS: This cat is actually on a diet and has lost a bit over four pounds.)

7 Likes

@ElsieDee Sorry to hijack this thread, but that kinda looks like my Bruce.

7 Likes

It’s a thing in Chicago, too. Any hot dog thread inevitably leads to someone (NY or Chicago, usually Chicago) with an axe to grind. Former Pres. Obama (Chicago) is also of the “Ketchup is fine if you’re a child” school.

The argument is that with a fully dressed Chicago dog, ketchup is too sweet, and with the mustard and pickles and onions, there’s already enough acid-y things in there. Ketchup is goopy and unwelcome.

Personally, I have no (heh) dog in this fight, despite being from Chicago. I only lament the lack of availability of Vienna dogs throughout the country, and am saddened that Portillos, in a quest to go national, STOPPED using Vienna dogs and have gone to their own all-beef hot dog. Why bother if you’re throwing out the MAIN local thing that makes a Chicago hot dog what it is? It’s like saying the hebrew national you ate while watching baseball is a Dodger dog. No, it isn’t.

huh. well. seems I have my own axe to grind.

“Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)”
-Walt Whitman

3 Likes

I :heart: Peanut Butter & Mayonnaise Sandwiches, especially on White Bread! And Ketchup on Hot Dogs! And I have been known to add a little Mayo too! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

It’s been 52 years since I have eaten a peanut butter sandwich. I can’t stand them. Almost evey day in your school lunch. Gross.

1 Like

Whaa?! I eat PB almost everyday!

3 Likes

I wish I liked them . I just don’t after so many . I loved my mom for making my lunches though. Always a treat to go with like the real ho ho’s and ding dongs . I liked the ham sandwiches the best.

4 Likes