Sergio is back on centinela!

Yes!! That salsa on top was KILLER! The tostada was Shrimp Ceviche with a smear of smoked marlin pate on the bottom. Usually Sergio’s bontana is a lovely ceviche the tostadas show a refinement that we had yet to see.

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Am i the only one that doesn’t like marlin tacos? Granted I’ve never had Sergio’s version, but when I was in Mazatlan, they were everywhere and really didn’t care for them.

What didn’t you like about them? Marlin is a strong fish. So perhaps Tacos Gobernador (made with shrimp) would be more your speed. They were on the specials menu.

–Dommy!

$20 or less per person ?

I don’t carry too much cash.

Yes, the very strong fish taste + the smokiness didn’t jive well for me.

Yeah, I usually feel the same way. This is about the only time I will have Marlin (I think the cheese, salsa and crisp tortilla helps). As I recommended, try to the Tacos Gobernador next time, less fishy taste, same great experience of texture. :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

This makes me really miss LA…

Mr Taster

2 Likes

I went in today and sure enough - The Maestro has returned! I ribbed him for being gone for soooo long.

.Marlin tacos were excellent.

Fish tacos were expertly prepared. I didn’t care for the fish - tilapia? But immediately noticed huge differences in the garnishes. In addition to the usual garnishes, Sergio is using something like nam phrik phao (Thai chile oil) in the tacos. He also garnished with some diced mango.

The camarrones borrachos had a nice butteriness along with the tequila flambè. He might be using that Thai chile oil in this a well. The man has tricks up his sleeve that have been sorely missing here.

The turning point for MC going south years ago was the addition of karaoke/super loud musica. That element is gone for now - zero music. I hope they bring back the sounds - background music is fine - just keep the cold at a reasonable level!

I hope word gets out to the general public. For those who also post on yelp, please make mention of his return. The place was deadsville at 1830. Most of us would lose if he were to take flight again…

8 Likes

Great report Bula . I envy you .

1 Like

Sinola seafood, oh my. This is not tourista food, it’s intense.

Ceviche de Cameron

Very tart marinade, crispy cucumber and sweet raw shrimp. I like tartness a lot, and this was great. I added ketchup and then it was even better.

Caldo de Camaron

Look at all those cute little eyeballs and antennae all over the place? How can you not love it? Great broth.

I liked it.

7 Likes

Do you actually call up and ask “Hello, is Sergio cooking today?” to make sure? Or is this purely a joke thing to do?

i call up and ask “who is cooking today?”

5 Likes

How many other cooks are there?

At some point maybe they will wise up and just start saying Sergio, no matter who is really cooking.

3 Likes

that would be a quick way to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

a group of REGULAR CUSTOMERS is one of the most valuable assets that a restaurant can have.
your plan is a way to convert those regular customers into ones that won’t come in anymore because they no longer trust the restaurant to be truthful.

do you really think nobody would notice a switcheroo?
there is a reason sergio was on j golds list for all those years.

2 Likes

you put what in your ceviche???

1 Like

Not to mention illegal to sell but fortunately(or not?) there’s not too many people out there enforcing it.

It’s a Mexican thing. My wife @Dommy does it all the time.

1 Like

I can’t have the catsup w/o the saltines tambien :wink:

3 Likes

My plan? Yeah, I have no plan :slight_smile:

I agree they should just be honest and agree about regular customers being an asset.

I will say this. If the kitchen staff is properly trained, the customers shouldn’t be able to tell if the executive chef, sous chef or the line cooks prepared the food.

And in that case, Unless it is an open kitchen, how would anyone know?

I have eaten at Coni’ BS and AS and the food seemed the same to me (though I haven’t been there in several months.)