Stevie's Creole Cafe On Pico?

I’m gonna’ try them.

1 Like

I’ve been going to Stevie’s for ages but some popular foodist on insta had that dish on wednesday so i had to follow the footsteps yesterday… it totally works… cruncy, sweet oniony bits with shrimp and grits is a winner… you can avoid them easily as well if needed.

1 Like

this place never disappoints me. gumbo was great

4 Likes

Very nice. Looks like they put their foot in that roux since we had it last. This is when they first opened.

1 Like

Damn that is a nice looking roux!!!

Looks like some deep flavor

I wonder if people cheat with browning sauce

I also went to Virginia Road Elementary School and lived on Wellington Road. I am 83, so you can tell how long ago that was!

1 Like

Interesting. I just found out you can buy roux. My cousin was recently down south for a family reunion. She doesn’t (or didn’t) really care for gumbo, but one of her in-laws made a gumbo she can’t stop talking about. When she asked him about it he showed her this. He also said when he was visiting he saw it at The Farmers Market on Fairfax. Who knew? I’m on the fence because I’d like to see how dark I can get my own before buying a shortcut. But it’s tempting…

This might explain Stevie’s, because, as I mentioned before his kitchen doesn’t seem big enough to give up a burner for long cooking… unless they make the base ahead of time. Hmmm… :thinking:

If you do decide to get it from the Farmer’s Market you might also consider dropping by Huntington Meats to get some tasso ham. It can be ordered online but as long as you’re there in person…

2 Likes

Oh nice! I see some creole cooking in my future. :blush:

yep i’ve seen it there. but i’m guessing Stevie’s does a big weekly batch during the prep hours.

1 Like

you can do roux in the oven btw. I guess thats off topic since this isnt a cooking thread but here we go. This is just one example pulled at random. It’s way easier it feels like cheating.

1 Like

Heck, you can make it in the microwave where you really feel like you’re cheating.

1 Like

Stirring every 30 minutes! That is easy!

1 Like

I can see I have a lot to learn about making my life in the kitchen easier. I don’t have a microwave (by choice) but do have a convection toaster oven that cooks faster than a regular oven.

You can always cross link it w/ the Home Cooking thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i think the word is burns :stuck_out_tongue:

I :heart: my convection toaster oven!

1 Like

i would guess that’s how the do it at the restaurant. Then you can just do a big batch at one time to last a couple days

1 Like

Maybe its good, but that smell when the mirepoix hits the roux…best thing ever. Even better than a perfect roast turkey. My two cents…

4 Likes