Vespertine - The Gaffe of Kahn

kahn x emp

My first thought was, oh, $115 is a pretty good price for an EMP tasting menu. And then I saw the $40 delivery fee. Which is pretty aggressive!

Kahn has Yucatecan ancestry through his Cuban mother.

Palmdale is still considered LA County, so might be a good deal for me.

4 Likes

It might be! I’m only 2ish miles from EMP, so delivery from LA is probably not my best option.

1 Like

UPS charges far less than DoorDash and their drivers don’t need to be tipped. You’d be surprised.

Don’t give me terrible (for the planet) ideas.

Who’s going to take the dive and tell us if it’s worth it? I’ve been burned by Vespertine before…

giphy (2)

11 Likes

Thanks! Always wanted to try Red Medicine but closed before I had the means.

Not to throw shade (but I’m definitely going to anyway) but why still use “Kaffir” lime? Pretty much everywhere else I see it now–menus, food media, etc.–uses “Makrut”, so why not you Vespertine? :unamused:

4 Likes

Anyone remember the brussels sprouts with fish sauce at Red Medicine? He needs to bring that dish back.

they did

Oh totally missed that. Didn’t the OG version have mint?

To be honest, this is the first time I’ve heard that people are actively trying to change the usage to Makrut and it makes sense in retrospect. Might be the kind of thing where a DM to their social media with an article or context does the trick. Could just be lack of awareness that is easily corrected.

Is kaffir lime no longer a thing

I just googled and goddamnit I guess it shouldn’t be.

1 Like
3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP19GIWpwXF/?hl=en