Vespertine - The Gaffe of Kahn

Warrior: Honestly speaking, the Bjork album is better than the restaurant.

The EaterLA team’s got a piece today…

4 Likes

:roll_eyes: this feels, uh, a little thin.

3 Likes

I know, I know, but I would greatly appreciate a TLDR for this.

I started it, skimmed some, and then ran out of steam. The bit I read seems less like an indictment of Khan and more like a story about whether these people thought it was worth it to suffer (or how much it’s worth suffering) for someone else’s artistic vision?

Which is not a shot at the piece! It’s an interesting question, especially as someone who’s worked with some hardass auteur-types in TV…

3 Likes

I am pretty shocked this merited a story at all, let alone being given the exposé treatment.

1 Like

I think that would’ve been a much more interesting angle but it instead reads like an attempted hit - there are too many details that have nothing to do with him being a demanding auteur and everything to do with trying to make him seem like a bad guy (like keeping the restaurant open following news of the former colleague’s death, the roof deck kerfuffle, etc.). And I say this as someone who’s not a particular fan of this restaurant or chef.

5 Likes

It could maybe have been pared down to several more focused shorter pieces.

The accusations of ADA violations and unpermitted use of the roof seem serious.

1 Like

I learned that y’all are a bunch of peacocks.

1 Like

I learned that I like beef, truffle, and caviar.

5 Likes

Jordan Kahn didn’t even let anyone take photos of anything when I went there during the first month of service. How can one be a peacock when photos aren’t even allowed?!

Khan

I wonder if they’re finally carrying through with their plans to take over the old Auburn space (RIP :frowning: ) So strange when they haven’t even re-opened Vespertine for dine-in.

Completely on-brand!

can’t wait to try the life-force healing succulents.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Meteora - new place from Jordan Kahn

Love me some ethereal swells at sun fall

7 Likes

More a bespoke composition at sun~rise guy personally, but to each his own.

7 Likes

Hoping that the life-force energy has some decent socarrat on the edges…

4 Likes

This feels as if I’m about to go to the spa.

3 Likes

“Apothecary”? Does that mean weed is involved?