LA FTC'ers a/k/a "beer snobs"

I haven’t had a beer (or a wine) since mid Jan. kill me now

Portola coffee. My one concern is that the last stout they made with Portola coffee was completely unbalanced. The can was called Don’t Have Kids. The coffee completely overwhelmed the beer. I still have one can left hoping that the coffee becomes more mild over time.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure beer is vegan. Hops, barley, yeast, grains, water?

I would expect that he can brew that type of beer in his sleep at this point but with new equipment and different coffee I guess anything is possible.

1 Like

I think he’s on a low carb / no alcohol thing for another month

Ah. I thought it was just vegan. What type of maniac does vegan and no alcohol at the same time?

The vegan post was a joke . The picture I was describing had a pork chop in it

1 Like

My beer nerd friend kindly shared with me his cans of Weldworks, that he proudly acquired. Despite the hype and not knowing anything about it, I was immensely impressed by the feeling it gave me, which can be described as: “It tastes like actual juice.” and was indeed the most juice characteristic of all ‘juicy’ hazy IPAs I’ve ever had.

I can only comapre to my limited one off experiences. I’ve been to Other Half, Monkish, Bottle Logic, Great Notion, and a few notable others. Also had Treehouse beers. I’ve yet to try Hill Farmstead, which has become a special trip in my mind, nor Trillium.

3 Likes

NH and Trilli are ducking crazy good

1 Like

All great breweries you listed. If you’re doing a trip in the Northeast add Foam, Hudson Valley and Suarez to the list. Foam is great small brewery in Vermont that makes superb hazy IPA. Hudson Valley in upstate NY makes the best sour IPAs. Suarez also in upstate NY does great pilsners and farmhouse ales.

Love juicy thick chewy hazy IPAs myself.

3 Likes

@js76wisco Thank you for the names. I’ve never heard of them, and have added them to my list of noteworthy breweries. I have considered one day doing the ‘IPA road drive’ in Vermont. I am especially a fan of Hudson Valley’s ciders, amazing stuff. Oregon claims to be the best at cider, but this seems very special and different, like the maker Sundstrom. Farmhouse ales are very nice for fancy dinners, and I like pilsner quite a bit if pairing with food. Pfriem from Portland seems to have this idea of pairing beer with food pretty well put together.
The first time I tried a juicy hazy ipa, I couldn’t believe it was a beer. I’m also pretty fond of the ‘milkshave ipa’ versions.

@Nemroz What does NH stand for? :sweat_smile: I’m sorry, I’m not good with beer vernacular and the culture of reducing everything to initials. I asked my beer buddy, and the closest he could think of is New Hampshire. I once almost made a trade to someone on the east coast for his KBBS. I had a bottle of Cable Car. I checked myself at the last minute, and discovered I confused his request to trade for CCK, the more rare Kriek version. Caught him before he sent the bottle (in a ‘bomb proof case’). So embarrassed, that I never went back to BAdvocate again.

Sorry. Somehow NH means Hill Farmstead in my immigrant brain.

The ciders I had in Asturias have to be the best although the artisanal dry stuff from Normandy and Brittany are sick too. Haven’t unfortunately sampled enough quality domestic ciders

1 Like

Whole Foods Rolling Hills

1 Like

That Row 2 would be my move!

Also love that organic chocolate stout with ice cream

1 Like

Anyone tried Younger in the bottle yet?

I had to grab a Pliny, haven’t had it in years but I don’t really seek it out since Bottle Logic and Monkish are more to my taste, fresher and easier to get. But Pliny was my first DIPA so it brought back fond memories. Grabbed a Row 2 as well, haven’t had it yet so looking forward to it. Probably crack it later this week with some grilled meats on the bbq!

I’ll never criticize pliny, no matter the hype level … it’s the perfectly crafted dipa… 10 more days until i can drink beer again! i’ve had a total eclipse BA from like 2014 in the fridge since january with my name on it.

2 Likes

Whole Foods in Brea and Bristol in Yorba Linda have been stocked with Pliny, Blind Pig, Hoppy Pils and Row 2 the last few weeks.

Anyone tried the stuff at Honest Abe in Carson? Not only do they have cider they also have mead! (Had to google that!)

HPB delivers to our area and west side in Monday. They have a lot of stuff to buy and I’m excited. Haven’t been since last year

https://app.upserve.com/s/highland-park-brewery-los-angeles?mc_cid=c17f56f725&mc_eid=2cda4f60d6

2 Likes